HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

Thunder Tiger Naulantia 1M Kit

You'll want to get to the lake or pond as soon as you can with the Thunder Tiger Naulantia 1M kit.

Splash

It's Yacht Season!

The Naulantia features a pre-painted factory-assembled hull and includes scale-like deck details. With an overall height of 67 inches, three hull colors to choose from and an aluminum display stand, Naulantia is available in RTR or kit packaging.

The Naulantia is sleek, beautiful and exactly what's needed to rock your boat. Scale realism is only the beginning of this yacht. It is designed to be fast as well as beautiful. With a good hand for building, you can make sure this kit lives up to all that potential.

At over five and a half feet tall, the Naulantia cuts an impressive figure on the water - and its quality construction lives up to its looks. The ABS blow-molded hull is lightweight and rigid, just like the extruded aluminum booms and mast. The Naulantia is available in 3 attractive hull colors, with deck accessories that add scale realism to every voyage.

Click the vid-link to see what you'll be missing if you don't get Naulantia:

Thunder Tiger Naulantia 1M Kits (1 min 5 sec)

Learn More Here

Discussion

Old Jul 18, 2013, 06:25 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,116 Posts
I know it's an advertisement, but the video is one of the most offputting for a new product I've seen in a long time...

Nowhere in the video the sails are close hauled, or is a run down wind shown.

The boat looks suspisciously like the ETNZ, but with an ABS hull and without the fathead sail.

No doubt it'll sail fine after the usual modifications.

Regards, Jan.
pompebled is offline Find More Posts by pompebled
Old Jul 18, 2013, 11:34 AM
Monterey Bay California
Joined Feb 2004
14,157 Posts
"...Naulantia is sleek, beautiful and exactly what's needed to rock your boat. ...fast as well as beautiful. ...all that potential.

At over five and a half feet tall, the Naulantia ...is lightweight and rigid...Naulantia is available ..."

The ad copy isn't very useful either. Is this about a boat?
Aerominded is offline Find More Posts by Aerominded
Old Jul 18, 2013, 08:35 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
153 Posts
Yes it is an ABS copy of the ETNZ. Some extra bracing bulkheads are supplied.
BUT,,,, it still has the same problem,,,,, the fin is mounted about 40mm too far forward and as a result the stock boat will be a dog to sail. It will have very severe weather helm. The whole balance of the boat is wrong. The pin head main sail will help reduce the weather helm somewhat but the basic balance is still wrong.
On my ETNZ I moved the mast forwards by 30mm and took 25mm off the main leech to help balance the boat. It is much easier to sail now, just slight weather helm.

Next mod is to get surgical on the hull and make a new straight fin mounted further back, then put the mast back in the original place.

The Phantom and the China team have the same problem as it is the same hull and fin as the ETNZ.

WHY O WHY didn't Thunder Tiger modify the hull and fin when they started making the Nautlanta????? They had the opportunity!!!.
They have spoiled the boat,,,,,, again.
KIWINB is offline Find More Posts by KIWINB
Last edited by KIWINB; Jul 18, 2013 at 08:47 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2013, 06:43 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,116 Posts
I have a ETNZ hull and just took off the keelfin (which was glued in position, so some stresscracks in the bottom couldn't be avoided).

The plan is to add a 'proper' keelbox and reposition it further back, so I can rebuild the boat along the lines of the AC-100, which makes for a much better performing boat.

As I don't have the stock keelbulb, I'm wondering how heavy the bulb should be.

I have a 30 cm keelfin, carbon, from an IOM without a matching bulb and a home made keelfin with a 2500gr bulb attached to it, a leftover from a prototype.

Is 2500 gr too much for the ETNZ hull?

Regards, Jan.
Last edited by pompebled; Jul 22, 2013 at 06:08 AM. Reason: Too heavy...
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:58 PM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2008
248 Posts
25kg is a bit much Jan.

I have a etnz bulb lying around somewhere. I will have to find scales to meusure the weight though.

Greetings,
Niels

ps. Have fun in Drachten tomorrow.
NielsdB is offline Find More Posts by NielsdB
Old Jul 21, 2013, 08:58 PM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
153 Posts
I just took the stock steel bulb off and it is 1.8Kg. (I just have a thin piece of tape over the hole.)
The 2.5Kg bulb will be to much, sorry.
Are you going to fit a straight fin?
The center of balance is at the higher inner seal on the hatch mounting, (if that makes sense). It makes the hull balance on the approximate correct waterlines with the bow just touching the water.
The stock CLR is ahead of the CLB which is wrong and the source of the handling and trim problems. Try and get the CLR about 15mm behind the CLB with the relocated fin
The attached pix will explain.
The IOM fin may be too wide at the hull, but as you have it, then go for it. Perhaps just shorten it slightly to about the stock length of 24.5cm??.
Doing this should transform the boat.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 05:22 AM
Netherlands
Joined Aug 2008
248 Posts
I can confirm the 1.8kg bulb for the ETNZ.
NielsdB is offline Find More Posts by NielsdB
Old Jul 22, 2013, 06:16 AM
Boaters are nice people.
Sneek, Netherlands.
Joined May 2004
5,116 Posts
Hi Kiwi,

Yes, the fin is straight (well, slightly tapered)

The fin being too wide won't be a problem, as I'm making a new keelbox, fitting this fin.
What does concern me, is that the IOM fin I've got is shorter than the AC-100 keelfin by about 50-80 mm, according to the drawings I have on my harddrive.

Thank you for weight of the stock fin.

Regards, Jan.
Old Jul 22, 2013, 07:36 AM
Auckland New Zealand
Joined Sep 2010
153 Posts
So long as the fin length is about 25cm or a bit more below the hull, it should be ok. Just set it up so the LE is about 20 to 25mm behind the mast and have the LE vertical.