Old Feb 03, 2004, 04:28 PM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
new micro brushless

Just got sent this link by John "wow that's small" Mack:

http://www.mpm.maxonmotor.com/newpro...20Brushless%20

I am seriously annoyed because I was going to make one of these, they beat me too it

Right I am off to do something before someone else does!

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2004, 04:53 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Ok, so who's going to figure out what size prop that motor can realisitically turn, both geared and ungeared. That's the $64,000 dollar question.

Obviously a number of people have now seen it. It's been posted in the power systems forum and in the 7.5mm brushless thread in this forum.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Last edited by Gordon Johnson; Feb 03, 2004 at 05:39 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2004, 05:26 PM
United States, VA, Clintwood
Joined Nov 2002
3,666 Posts
Graham
I cant wait to see what you make.
I would be at it but I am excited about the bit rx not glitching and wanting to build a new plane. If you need any help I can draw you up a quick design in rhino for your CNC. Provided you cut out some parts for me that would be hard for me to do by hand. I know you are capable of drawing all the necesarry parts just offering. I guess it could be made with some ply and PCB and some sort of bearing.

Gordon
I used the little program convert.exe
and .19mNm(millinewton * meter) = 0.1937468 gram force centimeter which is I guess the same unit you use for actuator torque. Or is it?

Billy
billystiltner is offline Find More Posts by billystiltner
Old Feb 03, 2004, 05:46 PM
in persuit of low wing loading
Boston, Mass
Joined May 2001
6,430 Posts
Billy,
I deleted that info from my post as I'm not sure Mabuchi's spec and Maxon's are giving exactly the same thing and I don't want to mislead. When I measure actautor torque that is stall torque. Maxon doesn't seem to be listing stall torque in their specs. I think the units would be the same, but the state of the motor might not. Maxon lists the nominal voltage of this motor at 0.4 volts. I'm not sure what it could take for our purposes.

Maxon will sell motors in single quantities through their various world-wide sales offices. I checked once and they would sell me the motor that is the Astro Firefly motor one at a time and it would cost me about $20 more than an Astro Firefly. So, if someone wants to evaluate this motor badly enough they probably can get one without buying thousands of them. BTW, I think Maxon is one of the cutting edge small motor manufacturers. There are others, but I think they are in that cutting edge group.

Gordon
Gordon Johnson is offline Find More Posts by Gordon Johnson
Old Feb 03, 2004, 06:49 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
it's 60mw. on 4.2 v, that's like 14ma. 20W/lb= 1.25W/oz = 43mw/g. so, for a floater with little power, it needs to be ~1.3g AUW. good luck getting even a brushless controller that weighs that much.

neat, but we need a 5-15g brushless before we start pushing the envelope this far...
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Feb 03, 2004, 07:28 PM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
I talked to a sales rep for over an hour about the small brushless motors,
The motors are made in Switzerland and are very very pricey!
under 1000 is gunna cost ya $60 each even if I bought 50,000 the quote was way to high for them to be usable!
Scott
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers
Old Feb 03, 2004, 07:48 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Its ok Scott a picture tells a thousand words. I feel this motor could be reproduce easy enough .. its matter of what your time and labor is worth and being so small there is not much product there .. so materals are a no brainer..
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Feb 03, 2004, 08:31 PM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
I've been paying $70-250 for my motors anyways, I'd have no problem spending $60 on a premium ultra micro motor, so long as it outperformed pager motors etc by a wide margin.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Feb 04, 2004, 03:20 AM
Palm Beach, FL
Joined Jan 2004
903 Posts
Smallest brushless controller I've seen is a Schulze, was 2-3g if I recall correctly.
ChrisT88 is offline Find More Posts by ChrisT88
Old Feb 04, 2004, 06:41 AM
Sticky Shepherd
Oxford/England
Joined May 2001
4,017 Posts
I was wanting to build a 3 or 4mm one as a cheap alternative to a smoovy for use as a stepper motor. Contruction is fairly straightforward.

Graham
Graham Stabler is offline Find More Posts by Graham Stabler
Old Feb 04, 2004, 08:02 AM
Germany
Joined Oct 2002
25 Posts
Deja vu

This type of motor is also used for the so called "penny motor", see http://www.mymotors.de/en/index.php4
The special characteristics of these motors is that their coils are made by a special galvanic layering method and the motors have just one bearing. The weight is about 2 gr + approx. 1 gr for a controller. These motors also are pretty pricey. If i remember correctly, for a 100 pcs the price is about 50 Euros/pc including the controller. In order to get some torque out of these motors you need an additional gearbox, pushing the price significantly higher to get a usefuls system for our hobby.

Nevertheless i myself made some of my own and had a deja vu experience when i saw above photo in the first post.
Heribert is offline Find More Posts by Heribert
Old Feb 04, 2004, 08:09 AM
Germany
Joined Oct 2002
25 Posts
I forgot to say: what you see on the picture i posted, is much more macroscopic than the maxxon motor. Its weight is about 5 grams including the controller, that is SMD placed on the epoxy plate that makes up the stator. The phase detection of the controller is made with a hall sensor.
Old Feb 04, 2004, 09:37 AM
Edmonds Wa. (Seattle)
Joined Nov 2003
3,926 Posts
That tiny little motor on the end of the finger is a 6mm motor and weighs 1.6grams
Scott
Littlescreamers is offline Find More Posts by Littlescreamers
Old Feb 04, 2004, 09:57 AM
Germany
Joined Oct 2002
25 Posts
Hi rcflyer2

do you refer to the maxxon motor? If so the product info says something about 0.32 grams weight.

Heribert