SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 26, 2001, 12:13 PM
JRF
oconomowoc,wi,usa
Joined Jul 2001
8 Posts
Scooter attacked by birds

Yikes ! ........ I flew my Sky Scooter for the forth time and no crashes!! I'm new to this hobby and am having a blast, but HEY, you guys never mentioned the thing about the birds. After about 10 minutes in the air I noticed that a few birds were following me around. I kinda thought this was cool, but before long I had fifty black birds chasing and pecking at my plane. I was 100 feet or so up and at times I couldn't see the plane. I pulled a few loops to try and shake them but no doing. I thought for sure they were going to take me out ?? When I came in for a landing the "flock" of birds follwered me right in. They sat in a near by tree waiting for me to take off again ... same thing happened on my next fly ?? So, do I need a faster prop to get away ?? or maybe a 450 turbo ??? Next time up I'm taking feathers !! Ha Ha
JRF is offline Find More Posts by JRF
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 26, 2001, 09:59 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
1st of all, its amazing that the scooter flew the first four times. I've had nothing but problems with mine. Have to order a new
kit because of broken nose. Anyways, apparently you've invaded the gang's turf here!!!! LOL!!! Would've loved to have seen it!!!

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Jul 26, 2001, 10:09 PM
Joined Jul 2001
11 Posts
I think I would video that post it. Next time cover it with hot pepper and watch em choke.

Ha ha...Just kidding all of you animal rights folks.
Dinsdalepirana is offline Find More Posts by Dinsdalepirana
Old Jul 26, 2001, 10:26 PM
Master of disaster
Northern Virginia
Joined May 2000
707 Posts
While never having seen birds attack models,
I see almost daily small birds attack large birds. Most of the birds attacted are crows or small buzzards.
I imagine your local flock of blackbirds
see your scooter as a threat to thier nesting
area.

Get a nice, sharp APC prop and cut those suckers up! Add on a noisy gearbox and the
buggers should stay away.

In my experience birds stay away from anything that makes noise!
Travis is offline Find More Posts by Travis
Old Jul 26, 2001, 10:41 PM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
Well, I don't own a scooter but I have had a segaull chase my slope soarer. It was funny to see a seagull chasing a Focke Wulf warbird. Every manuever in the book wouldn't shake this bird. I owe it to him it really improved my flying. It took me a long time to shake him. He was good.
Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton
Old Jul 27, 2001, 12:00 AM
Ancaster, Ontario, Canada
Joined Nov 2000
2,526 Posts
just cover the scotter with thermal bond epoxy, and when they get stuck to it flip upsidown and land. one of two things will happen----

1. squash!!!
or....

2. the birds will walk away taking your investment with them
Paul Penney is offline Find More Posts by Paul Penney
Old Jul 27, 2001, 12:48 AM
Westchester County, NY, USA
Joined Jun 2000
2,443 Posts
Hey, hurry up and become an expert flyer so you can install an onboard video system. I'd love to see that on video.
www.geocities.com/danny_troy/index.html
Danny Troy is offline Find More Posts by Danny Troy
Old Jul 27, 2001, 07:30 AM
Cincinnati, OH USA
Joined Oct 2000
1,961 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JRF:
...I kinda thought this was cool, but before long I had fifty black birds chasing and pecking at my plane. I was 100 feet or so up and at times I couldn't see the plane. I pulled a few loops to try and shake them but no doing. I thought for sure they were going to take me out...
Apparently the birds in your neighborhood have formed an ad hoc committee for stamping out homely airplanes. No Sky Skooter, Wingo or Zagi will be safe!

On a slightly more serious note, Red-Wing Blackbirds are among the most territorial of species. They will attack just about anything that invades their turf regardless of size.

Jim
Jim Ryan is offline Find More Posts by Jim Ryan
Old Jul 27, 2001, 07:56 PM
Function Over Form
Connecticut
Joined Feb 2000
1,043 Posts
12 guage.
BillH is offline Find More Posts by BillH
Old Jul 27, 2001, 08:11 PM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
Bill you must come from the backwoods of Conn. Sound it out it's gauge. just kidding!
Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton
Old Jul 27, 2001, 08:23 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Sep 2000
308 Posts
It's true!!!This is better than tv. LMAO!!
tripster is offline Find More Posts by tripster
Old Jul 27, 2001, 08:23 PM
Rotorhead
Oly, Wa, USA
Joined Jun 2001
331 Posts
Saw this happen once to an Eco 8. Needless to say the heli won. I think the birds(crows)were trying to figure out how this funny looking bird(heli)was flying. Well, one got too close to the carbon blades and WHAP! We had diced crow. The others took this as an attack and left the area quite quickly, sqwaking the whole time. No damage to the heli at all. The moral of the story. Eating crow isn't always bad. Eric S.
Luxor is offline Find More Posts by Luxor
Old Jul 30, 2001, 09:10 AM
Master
Weilbach, Germany
Joined May 2001
2,470 Posts
I read this post when it first came out. I was going to respond as we frequently have buzzards over our field waaaaaay up high. We use them as our 'thermal finders' and nobody has ever had any trouble that I know of.
Well, things changed yesterday. It was unusual that a buzzard flew across our field at only about 20 ft altitude. We then saw him pluck a mouse out of the cornfield next to our club field. And afterwards he was seen chasing a smaller bird.
About 30 minutes later I launched my Pico Jet. Immediately I noticed the buzzard coming back across the field, so I turned away to the right. So did the buzzard. I turned left, he did too. He chased me for about 30 seconds. Then the fun started - I cranked in high rates, pulled a loop and came in behind him making 'taka taka taka' noises. My buddies were watching the show and collapsed in laughter.
He didn't like this at all, so he started to fly off. So I chased him. BAD IDEA. He turned back on me with an evil look on his beak (I swear), so I flew an Immelmann and got out of there fast.
PHEW !
I shouted to my buddies to grab the model when it landed as I'm sure he could have easily flown off with 500 gm Pico Jet in his talons.

After reading JRF's report, I hope that Hitchcock's 'The Birds' movie isn't starting to come true !

[This message has been edited by ChrisP (edited 07-30-2001).]
ChrisP is offline Find More Posts by ChrisP
Old Jul 30, 2001, 08:01 PM
San Jose, CA. USA
Joined Jul 2001
123 Posts
I was flying a Pico-Cub on a ridge in Ca. and
a Red Tail Hawk came out of nowhere with his
talons out and wings back. He missed the hit
and I turned the motor back on and he left.

What prey is bright yellow with a 39" span?
jf ryan is offline Find More Posts by jf ryan
Old Jul 30, 2001, 08:11 PM
Time wounds all heels.
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Jul 2001
832 Posts
I frequently fly my Pico Tiger Moth late at night at the local park. The cooler night air is more dense, and I always have the park to myself. As long as I stay under the tops of the lights, I usually am OK. But recently, bats have begun to stalk my Moth. I can see their leathery sillouettes in the lights as they pursue my brave moth. I told a friend who later came once to watch. It is really neat to watch, and I can often fly "combat" against them, as they nimbly dart around the slow-flying Tiger Moth.
watersharer is offline Find More Posts by watersharer