Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 13, 2013, 09:21 PM
Resistance is futile
United States, FL, Wildwood
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Build Log
New Foam Boat Build

Hello everyone. Here I am again with a new build I am starting. Most of you have seen my original build from plans called the "Antares". I built the entire superstructure from Elmer's foam board and then covered it in wood.
This time I am going to eliminate the wood except for some internal mounting places for hardware. The entire hull, and cabin will be just foam board and will be painted.
I think it is fortuitous that this new boat is also called "Antares". This "Antares" will be larger than the first. The first one built up to a whopping 16.5" ! LOL
I will be attempting 30" length for this new one. That is the maximum length I can get from one sheet of foam board. This boat has more of a commercial fishing boat look.

There were requests in the previous build for me to show the process for transferring the pattern to the foam board and cutting the foam board. I will do my best to document that with photos.

Attached are some photos of the plans as I was tiling the sheets together.
PDF plans work the best for enlarging. Adobe Reader has a "Poster" feature that cuts up the enlarged image and spreads it across several normal letter sized pages for printing. It also has a feature to include "cut marks". The cut marks are used to eliminate the overlap when "stitching" the image back together. I use ordinary clear tape to hold it together. This particular image took 16 pages.

A little patience will yield a life sized cut pattern. This is just "my" way of doing this. You could also take the original plan to a place like Kinkos or Staples and pay someone else to do the enlargement, if you prefer. I like my way because it doesn't require spending any extra money. (Call me cheap if you want) I would rather use that money for something like fittings, paint, or lighting.
circuitfxr is offline Find More Posts by circuitfxr
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Introspective on work and play
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 14, 2013, 05:44 AM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
I started the "kitting" process last night. As promised, I have included some pictures of the pattern transfer to the foam and the process for cutting the foam board. Please observe below: Let me know what you think of the idea of creating a "How to" video for doing the kitting process. Is there any interest in something like that? Family members have suggested I should give classes on this and charge a fee. I am just happy to contribute to this great hobby. I want to see this hobby continue. I look forward to your comments. I hope these photos make the process more clear for everyone. This is an amazing medium to work with. (Not for Arthritis sufferers! )
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2013, 10:31 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
Hi circuitfxr,

Have you tried using spray adhesive (like 3M brand 77 spray) to fix the paper plan to the foam? I have done it on plywood many tmes, but not on foam. I am curious whether the glue attacks the foam or not.
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Jul 14, 2013, 12:39 PM
Central Ohio
Joined Feb 2003
1,091 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
Hi circuitfxr,

Have you tried using spray adhesive (like 3M brand 77 spray) to fix the paper plan to the foam? I have done it on plywood many tmes, but not on foam. I am curious whether the glue attacks the foam or not.
With 3M 77 it depends on how old your can is. If it's over 10 years old, it's foam safe. About 8-10 years old it'll attack foam but the newer stuff is generally foam safe. (I'll skip the explanation about "Gubmint regulations" messing things up.)
Don
defranci is offline Find More Posts by defranci
Old Jul 14, 2013, 04:25 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blutoh View Post
Hi circuitfxr,

Great idea. I know a lot of people do that with a wood build. My purpose is to retain the plans for future use. Gluing the plan to the material destroys the plan and also makes it really difficult to flip it over for plans that have parts that are shown in one half only. I also endeavor to save the plan so as to avoid the work of reprinting, cutting, and stitching.

In answer to your question about the glue attacking the foam, I have never tried it before, so I have no definitive answer. The foam board being used here has a paper coating on both sides that sandwiches the foam. I am relatively certain that any type of glue that is safe for paper should probably work fine.
I have used both super glue and Gorrila glue on this product without any ill affects to the foam.

One other thing to consider before gluing the plan to your material. When painting your model, after construction, the plan design could possibly "bleed" through the paint and require you to use more coats. When applied to wood, this doesn't much matter because you can sand it away. I like the smooth surface of the paper on the foam. It allows a smooth application of paint with little sealing and prep. You can then apply a protective coat of polyurethane clear afterwards to seal the color and the foam.

Some people would argue that a coat of sealer or epoxy should be applied to the foam surfaces before painting. This is also another option. When done this way, the epoxy sealer would be sanded smooth and paint would then be applied to the epoxy with little chance of bleed through. I guess it is a matter of preference. I would like to explore both options and see what gives a better finish.

I am still working on the kitting process, but have a sick kid here. My time is split and the process has slowed a bit. I'll get some more pictures soon. Has anyone else tried doing a boat build with foam yet? Please post your experience if you have. I am constantly learning as I go, working with this medium. Perhaps some of you have better ways of accomplishing a good result? Don't be shy...post them here so we all can learn together.

Keep those comments and ideas coming. I'll do my best to answer any questions.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2013, 12:01 AM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
The Build Begins

Well, I finally got all the pieces cut and have started the assembly process.
The pictures below show the dry fit of the bulkheads, Keel, and deck frame.
I'll glue these tonight and continue tomorrow. Oh shoot! I almost forgot. I still have to draw and cut the side rails. They aren't shown in the plans, so I'll just have to do some measuring and make them myself. Back to work I go.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2013, 06:10 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Quote:
Oh shoot! I almost forgot. I still have to draw and cut the side rails. They aren't shown in the plans, so I'll just have to do some measuring and make them myself.
Oh yes they are

Regards Ian
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Old Jul 15, 2013, 06:19 AM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
OK Ian. I guess my inexperience in reading these type of plans has caught me eating my own words. Perhaps you or someone else can be kind enough to explain to me how to get that information out of the plan? I am guessing it is in the dotted line areas, but then I there are so many different things, layered together, in the dotted lines, I am at a loss.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 15, 2013, 11:27 AM
---o-O-o---
United States, NJ, Livingston
Joined Mar 2012
1,591 Posts
circuitfxr,

look at the red arrows on the plan below.
blutoh is offline Find More Posts by blutoh
Old Jul 15, 2013, 05:13 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Thanks Blutoh. I appreciate that. Continuing with the build.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2013, 07:03 AM
Bradford West Yorkshire, UK
Joined Apr 2010
1,597 Posts
Had Blutoh not shown you, I was going to suggest (which will also apply to future (?) builds) if you look at the bulkhead profiles (Formers) and measure out from the c/l to the inside and outside edges of the chine rails, you could have marked the positions on the plan as he has shown.

Not criticising either of you, everyone has to learn sometimes.

Regards Ian.
Circlip is offline Find More Posts by Circlip
Last edited by Circlip; Jul 17, 2013 at 04:04 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2013, 08:55 AM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Thanks Ian. I always say "The day I stop learning is the day I am 6 feet under"

Good to know how to find it for future reference.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2013, 08:52 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
Update

Latest update. I have started skinning the hull. This larger size is presenting some new challenges. The angles required to bend around the bow area is much steeper than other build. The 5mm foam board is not flexible enough to twist and bend to those tight of dimensions. I had to cut the sheeting boards into sections and attach them. This will require some extra filling and sanding, but that is no problem. I chose to do the bottom panels last so there would be an overlap of the side panel edges. this will make for a more water tight seal by not exposing a seam to the downward pressure of the hull displacement in the water. Here is the progress so far:
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2013, 05:12 PM
Resistance is futile
Joined Jul 2005
1,032 Posts
More update

Hello boys and girls! The work continues and I am pleased with the progress so far. The hull is now completely skinned and I have begun work on the cabin.
I am liking this larger scale. The ESC for this boat arrived today. I got another China special...350A water resistant w/ fwd/rev. Only $12.00. I have another drive train identical to the one I used in Foam build 1. The motor will be the 540 electric motor I was going to upgrade Antares 1 with. I am going to endeavor to add more detail in this build. The larger scale demands it. (IMO)
Here are the latest photos. Lets here some comments. Don't be shy. I don't bite! (hard) LOL
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 20, 2013, 04:36 PM
20M northeast of Hell Mi
United States, MI, Howell
Joined Jul 2012
259 Posts
have you tried hot glue?
liljimmy is offline Find More Posts by liljimmy