Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
This thread is privately moderated by Soma, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 12, 2013, 01:57 AM
:)
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Adapting mini quad frames for brushless.

New Vid - Round 2 Fixed the broken motor wire and back in the air.
FnBL Round Two (3 min 39 sec)

Franken Brushless (2 min 4 sec)

Adapting mQX size and V262 size frames for lightweight brushless quads.

This post will be updated as the project evolves, and I'll start a thread for the concept later...

This first adaptation is using V929 centre frames as motor mounts for HiModel C1404 3000KV brushless motors. Many thanks to MotoMoto for finding these This will make a 200mm quad. The parts are easily cut with a knife.

Components are intended as follows...
FC - Flyduino Nanowii or Flip Pro
RX - LemonRX DSM2 satellite RX.
ESCs - Plush 6A flashed with BLHeli
Lipo - 2S 450mAh nanotechs

The weight for one arm so far without an esc is 13.8 grams, almost exactly the same as the stock mQX arm at 13 grams. When completing the build I'll use small shock pistons or plastic spacers instead of metal washers which will be lighter and should require no drilling for the motor shaft. Also the screws used are from the V929, it can be seen in the comparison picture it would be much better to use stronger self tappers, these are from a heli kit screw pack from HK. (link to follow)

The plan for other motors is to drill through the whole mount and screw from underneath into the motor threads. 4 point mounting motors will centre on the mount.

I'm ordering the parts now to complete this build as below...
4x V929 centre frames
1x V959 centre frame
4x V959 booms
Screws & spacers... researching

Stay Tuned

Soma is online now Find More Posts by Soma
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Soma; Aug 19, 2013 at 08:26 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2013, 07:56 AM
Joined Mar 2006
769 Posts
hmm, i'll be watching this thread!
muck76 is offline Find More Posts by muck76
Old Jul 13, 2013, 07:37 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
Thanks mate!

Ok, here's today's effort.

I flashed some HK F-6A ESC's with SimonK, but then thought later I'd stick with the Plush 6A's as its easier to solder motor wires directly to the ESC. Removing the unneeded ESC-RX 5V & GND wires saves about 3.7g.

The screws that come with the C1404's are 0.9g heavier for 12 but bite much better than the smaller V929 screws. This will be 1g well spent. The washers were changed to HK No.2 washers (I think), 2 for each leg = 24. This sets the motor shaft e-clip clear just the right amount.

Arm weight (-esc) is at 14.3g now including bigger screws, a theraband (copy) o-ring and the prop insert. Going well so far

Motor shaft (prop saver) screws were loctited. I have never received a motor with the shaft screws even tight, never mind thread locked. Other than the press fit of the shaft these are all that hold the motor together. There's a pic of how much grease comes off the threads with alcohol. I spray a tissue and then pinch the threads between fingernails and back out the screw with a driver, twice each screw. This helps loctite bond. Only a small amount of loctite is needed, but absolutely necessary.

Next I'll get the lemon flip soldered and pull the Plush escs off my Dialfonzo mini.

RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 18, 2013, 07:58 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
OK the search was delayed due to my enjoying flying my FnmQX immensely.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1954185

FnmQX Test 02 (2 min 45 sec)

The nQX board could possibly be a good FC for a 2S brushless quad @ 2.5g is 33% the weight of a Lemon-Flip @ 7.5g. But the lack of tuning is my reservation. I think a Nanowii-Flip could be about 6g but I'll need to weigh.

But I have built 2 more Lemon-Flips...

I've also prepped the Plush 6A's (BLHeli 9.2)

The ESCs are from my Dialfonzo nano. This is how quick BLHeli responds.
BLheli V9.2, Plush 6A, C10 2900kV, 2S (0 min 17 sec)

Thanks to Daryoon for posting in the above thread I have ordered HK qBot Micro centre frames to try as + motor mounts.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=161

RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2013, 03:22 PM
France, PACA, La Valette-du-Var
Joined Dec 2012
3,690 Posts
Whaooo great ... I will follow your post ...
SeByDocKy is online now Find More Posts by SeByDocKy
Old Aug 03, 2013, 06:46 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
Thanks mate. Some parts came Friday. More should be here Monday.

HK beat Banggood!

Update soon
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 03, 2013, 07:20 PM
Canada, ON, London
Joined May 2011
1,505 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soma View Post
HK beat Banggood!

Update soon
Doesn't it always? Bangood usually takes longer to me here in Ontario, Canada. Maybe it's the postal system here... :-?

Cheers,
J
uberjay is online now Find More Posts by uberjay
Old Aug 05, 2013, 06:18 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
Quick update on using HK Q-Bot micro centre frames as motor +mounts.

They mount well, I just wonder how strong they'll be in a crash. There's no much material around the arm to brace them. They are made of carbon reinforced nylon and are strong.

Cut the lipo cage off.

Mark 12.4mm

Good protection for the motors.

M2 x 6mm screws.

And another option I'll be following.
UDI U817 / U818 Centre frame from Banggood.

For 4mm CF tubes.

I've finished the C1404 quad and its awesome! The main event in a few minutes
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2013, 07:01 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
Finished the V929 frame adaption today.

Lemon Flip - RX FC
Plush 6A ESCs BLHeli 9.2
C1404 3100kV motors
Gemfan 5030 props
Nanotech 2S 450mAh

AUW = 112.14 grams

It flies amazingly well. I couldn't get it over half throttle during the maiden in the park Very light, and lots of power

Build Process...

Stock V929 frame

Cut down. How to vids to follow...

Boom

Motor mount

Motors mounted

Motor assembly weight

3 Motors needed quite a lot of balancing. Dynamically balanced in hand, trial & error. Makes a massive difference!

Bare frame

All 6.6 grams, plus 4.4 grams of motor mounts = 11 gram frame

ESC time. Do not forget the heatshrink!

Wish I had lighter stuff 1.68g for 3 pieces

Laid out ready to solder

Good ol' wooden-peg-in-a-vice trick. Don't forget to flip 2 wires for clockwise motors.

Shrink the heat shrink

Tidy the motor wires and ESC wires down the side

Parma servo tape

FC mounted and soldered

77.17g dry weight

Under

Plus lipo

And here's the maiden.
Power to weight ratio feels sufficient to get into some serious trouble
Very responsive to fly. Didn't feel like I went over half throttle at all.
Can't wait to stretch its legs!

FnBL Maiden (1 min 23 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 05, 2013, 03:16 PM
Team WarpSquad
San Diego, CA
Joined Dec 2010
6,063 Posts
Nice Soma.

Looks delicious. (Yes, I am a techy and modder who thinks of food all the time)

Why Nano QX if you have a nice MultiWII that can be programmed to your heart's content?

You've got me intrigued now. I already have a couple of ideas on how I would build mine if I were to build one. Thanks for the share. And please make a second maiden video. Those basketball dudes are ruining the clip. Don't they know there's important stuff happening?!?

BTW, why BLHeli instead of SimonK? I thought Simon's is more popular among the quads builders?

Oh, could you catch me up to date on why you chose each components? i.e. motor. I see a black one you were originally gonna use and and the blue one you used in your final build.

Additionally, could you list prices in your post above? Those brain dump will help catch up me and possibly remove the barrier of entry.
Daryoon is online now Find More Posts by Daryoon
Old Aug 05, 2013, 05:29 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryoon View Post
Nice Soma.

Looks delicious. (Yes, I am a techy and modder who thinks of food all the time)

Why Nano QX if you have a nice MultiWII that can be programmed to your heart's content?

You've got me intrigued now. I already have a couple of ideas on how I would build mine if I were to build one. Thanks for the share. And please make a second maiden video. Those basketball dudes are ruining the clip. Don't they know there's important stuff happening?!?

BTW, why BLHeli instead of SimonK? I thought Simon's is more popular among the quads builders?

Oh, could you catch me up to date on why you chose each components? i.e. motor. I see a black one you were originally gonna use and and the blue one you used in your final build.

Additionally, could you list prices in your post above? Those brain dump will help catch up me and possibly remove the barrier of entry.

Multiwii should suit you like a glove mate! And judging by the contribution you make to the mini scene, Multiwii will be richer for it too.

I need to get off to work so I'll follow up all your info tonight...

Best FC's are the Nanowii (Flyduino) $40, Flip 1.5 & Flip Pro from Witespy, $15 & $20.

Definitely use flashed ESC's, I don't know how multi's even fly without them. SimonK is more popular and is easier to flash with the chip socket and bootloader. BLHeli has a GUI, only need to solder 2 pads, and you can talk to Steffan directly on the thread. BLHeli opens up some good ESCs like the Plush, HK 10A NFET, Skywalkers etc.

I'd like to try the nano QX FC as its 5g lighter, smaller, plus to see how it flies with the compressed throttle range removed. You're right though, it could be out of whack enough to need tuning and that's impossible. Whether or not I could solder it up is a question too!

The black ZMR 1804's are on the table for development, I'll try the 4mm or 5mm frames for these though as they're more powerful. Both these motors are about $10 each. Also look at the HK multistar 1704's they'll be good for 3S, have some coming to test.

I'll make a thread for this as soon as I have the how to vids done and a decent flight up. I really look forward to seeing your ideas for the concept. There should be a good many variations of these mods!

These Plastic + carbon frames are the best frame making technique out there I reckon. As soon as someone moulds a 330mm frame using 10mm square carbon booms they'll be rich!

Cheers mate!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2013, 02:29 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
Franken Brushless Rocks :)

This is the best multicopter I have ever flown.
It slices through the air instead of tearing or pushing.
Smooth sounding machine.
Pity a motor lost power 3rd pack in. Dies on the 6th flip at the end.
Just exporting how-to vids, I'll update the first post soon(ish)

Franken Brushless (2 min 4 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 07, 2013, 06:37 AM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
Motor Mount

FnBL Motor Mount (2 min 23 sec)

Centre Frame

FnBL V929 Centre (1 min 22 sec)
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 08, 2013, 10:33 AM
United States, CA, Belmont
Joined Jun 2011
16 Posts
I have the rc logger eye one motors and frame. I want to get input on using the nano qx board to drive these brushed motors. The eye one FC uses the battery with 2 x 1S batteries so I am trying to determine how to work this with a 260 mah 1S battery. I would appreciate any suggestions

Steve
PrinceLazar is online now Find More Posts by PrinceLazar
Old Aug 08, 2013, 07:16 PM
Australia, QLD, Brisbane
Joined Sep 2012
3,234 Posts
Best to ask that here...
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1954185

That's the thread dedicated to using the nQX FC on other frames.

I'm very interested too what could be done to run the nQX board on a 2S setup.

Ask on that thread, lots of people there who know more than me
RCG Plus Member