HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 11, 2013, 10:27 AM
United States, NC, Kannapolis
Joined Jan 2006
42 Posts
Question
2 Questions Battery - Gimbal

I am new to hexacopters but have a DJI Flamewheel 550 with Naza and GPS and love it. It is so easy to fly I now fly it more than my planes. But here is my questions.

1. If you install a gimbal do you actually control it to point the camera with your radio or is it only to keep the camera stabile. I want to mount a go pro or some camera and cannot wrap my thoughts about a gimbal and how it works?

2. Battery I see a lot of video of where people just take off and fly up or away but what happens if the battery gets low. Will it land on its own or reserve enough power to allow you to land? Additionally I am getting about 5 - 6 minutes on my 3 cells can someone recommend a battery size that would give longer flight times and maybe what the flight time would be based on mine being a stock f550?

Thanks.
term_paint is offline Find More Posts by term_paint
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 11, 2013, 02:35 PM
New Zealand, Canterbury, Christchurch
Joined Dec 2012
1,419 Posts
1. It depends on what your flight controller or gimbal stabilizer allows. Some certainly allow you to control it from the TX using POTs

2. It depends on the weight of your craft and what you're currently flying with now. Also bear in mind it's only going to get worse when you add a gimbal and camera. It won't usually land on it's own but I supposed it could if you pulled a failsafe or RTL switch on your TX.

In most cases you want to have battery voltage (preferably at the cell level) reported back to you over some sort of telemetry link so you know when it's time to land. Failing that a low voltage alarm on the quad itself and failing that a timer on your TX
WendoNZ is offline Find More Posts by WendoNZ