SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:56 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jun 2010
1,842 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modea2 View Post
Hi all, Flew mine in Agility mode for the first time last week. I put on full throttle just to see how high it could go. It soared up to an almost imperceptible dot in the (cloudy) sky. So I thought I would test "Return To Home" from that height. So I pressed the lever and held.................and held................. and held................
I almost got brown trousers as it didn't appear to respond. I Let go of the lever and cut the throttle.......... still nothing! In desperation I pressed the lever again and kept holding it for what seemed ages. Then......... Whew! Is that dot getting bigger? Yes it is (big sigh of relief). When it got down enough it seemed to be heading for a clump of trees nearby so I let go of the RTH lever and landed it manually. When I checked the video I could hear the motor cut but it doesn't appear to be dropping, or perhaps it is because it was so high it makes it so much more difficult to tell?
Anyway, here is the video below for what it's worth. Notice how small Blackpool Tower looks in the distance! How high can this darn thing fly? The tower is 500ft high!

http://vimeo.com/81328986
Spectacular video. What radio are you using? does it not have a switch for RTH so you don't have to keep holding it?

On that point, I have found doing similar flights that RTH mode descends very slowly and may risk running out of battery if you are extremely high.

A faster way for a controlled descent is in "Stability mode" (blue light) with throttle closed and hands off. It descends rapidly and with GPS lock the descent will be vertical.

I do these high altitude flights also in Australia. I checked the regulations first and there is a minimum distance requirement from airports (3 nm) and a maximum altitude requirement if inside controlled airspace (400ft). Probably similar rules in the UK.

EDIT - I just checked my Jeppview for Blackpool. (Charts attached) it would appear this flight was conducted in Terminal airspace. (The red circle around the airport showing GND / 2000) noting proximity to the pleasure park and I am assuming Blackpool tower is the one to the north in the chart at 534 feet?

Definitely worth checking the UK rules (would hate to see a fellow 350 QX'er get into trouble)
Rob2160 is online now Find More Posts by Rob2160
Last edited by Rob2160; Dec 08, 2013 at 05:47 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:26 PM
Joined Dec 2013
498 Posts
Yep, descent in RTH mode is pretty slow with GPS lock..probably why there is a caution suggesting not using RTH the battery is low.
HIGHOCTANE32 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHOCTANE32
Old Dec 08, 2013, 05:30 PM
That sky looks like ground...
United States, CA, Shingle Springs
Joined Sep 2013
793 Posts
If I'm up high I'll close the throttle to descend until the quad is within 100 feet of the ground, then either land manually or activate RTH. The RTH is far too slow for high-alt recovery.
Wrath is offline Find More Posts by Wrath
Old Dec 08, 2013, 06:22 PM
Counter agent of B.S.
United States, IN
Joined Aug 2003
224 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Trader View Post
So how significant is a modification (prop adapters, CF props) that ends up using 10% more amps and 15% more watts? How does that translate into real world battery times?
The increases are more of the CF pros than anything. But as I stated,my health isn't so great as to do much more testing. I leave that to others here.

One reply stated the stock ESC's are rated @10amp x 4=40 amps nominal. But I'd factor in a wee bit more as most ESC's have a surge limit. So say a MAX surge of *maybe* 50 amps, 40 nominal. Needless to say, but we'd really need to stay AT -or- BELOW the 40 amp limit with whatever props &/or loads imposed on the 350QX.

Flight times will depend on your chosen props, whether or not your flying with the added weight of a camera, flying style, age of your LiPo battery, and temps you fly in.

Hopefully others will dig into this deeper, because some sort of chart would really benefit others.....BEFORE they smoke their ESC's.
a1pcfixer is offline Find More Posts by a1pcfixer
Old Dec 08, 2013, 06:51 PM
Thumbflyer
Manning, AB, Canada
Joined Nov 2009
1,272 Posts
Here is a full blown test of the TRD Beholder Lite Gimbal Tilt. It worked great. Everything went well as a matter of fact except the GoPro Batteries sure didn't last long, neither did my fingers. At -25C was the first relatively warm day (compared to this past week) and the sun was shining so had to go cold or not. Not only was the cold challenging but the lack of visibility at the bottom of very tall trees left little room for error as I could only see a fraction of the sky. Once above tree tops if not careful it would be really easy to lose sight. Amazingly, in an area with no cell service and where the satellite radio wouldn't work the GPS worked flawlessly without shielding as it always has been. It was too cold to wait for lock before take off so I had no RTH, why I had to be careful I didn't lose site. To this day I have never actually used RTH but in some situations like this it would be nice to have. However shortly into each flight it locked up and stayed locked. Really wanted to give the gimbal tilt a good test and it worked flawlessly. Shot on GoPro Hero 3 Black 1080p 60fps Medium Angle. Think I might go back to the short legs so I can use wide angle and keep legs out of view when tilted down. I like wide angle more.

Journey To The Cabin (3 min 42 sec)

If youtube is your fancy you can watch it here, but I am liking it less and less with each video I upload there. Exact same file was uploaded and youtube encoding is pretty bad, Vimeo blows it out of the water in my books.

Journey To The Cabin: 350 QX (3 min 42 sec)

Cheers.

Brandon
IEATSRT is online now Find More Posts by IEATSRT
Last edited by IEATSRT; Dec 08, 2013 at 07:12 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 07:38 PM
Australia, NSW, Windsor
Joined Apr 2006
678 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post
Here is a full blown test of the TRD Beholder Lite Gimbal Tilt. It worked great. Everything went well as a matter of fact except the GoPro Batteries sure didn't last long, neither did my fingers. At -25C was the first relatively warm day (compared to this past week) and the sun was shining so had to go cold or not. Not only was the cold challenging but the lack of visibility at the bottom of very tall trees left little room for error as I could only see a fraction of the sky. Once above tree tops if not careful it would be really easy to lose sight. Amazingly, in an area with no cell service and where the satellite radio wouldn't work the GPS worked flawlessly without shielding as it always has been. It was too cold to wait for lock before take off so I had no RTH, why I had to be careful I didn't lose site. To this day I have never actually used RTH but in some situations like this it would be nice to have. However shortly into each flight it locked up and stayed locked. Really wanted to give the gimbal tilt a good test and it worked flawlessly. Shot on GoPro Hero 3 Black 1080p 60fps Medium Angle. Think I might go back to the short legs so I can use wide angle and keep legs out of view when tilted down. I like wide angle more.

http://vimeo.com/81348410

If youtube is your fancy you can watch it here, but I am liking it less and less with each video I upload there. Exact same file was uploaded and youtube encoding is pretty bad, Vimeo blows it out of the water in my books.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pV_COOldII

Cheers.

Brandon
Great video, I love to look at all that nice snow and ice, it reminds me of my childhood growing up in the UK but that doesn't mean I ever want to experience my hands turning blue again, Sunny all year round Sydney Australia suits me just fine these days.
Corona44 is offline Find More Posts by Corona44
Old Dec 08, 2013, 07:49 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE32 View Post
I don't want to jump on the safety police bandwagon so to speak but being someone who flies in real aircraft for a living I gotta say be careful..a blade 350 sucked into an intake could make for a very bad day. Especially important to think about around airports and military airfields where aircraft will be fairly low.
Have to ask.
Will a bird take a plane down?
I have always wondered.
I know that being anywhere close to an airport is a danger.
I have one a few kilometers from where we fly, but we keep it low for fpv and just around the fields.
Never had a plane be close, or low enough to be any concern at all.
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Dec 08, 2013, 07:56 PM
Winnipeg
Joined Feb 2002
5,865 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IEATSRT View Post

http://vimeo.com/81348410

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pV_COOldII

Cheers.

Brandon
Great job.
So you control the tilt correct?
Going to have to search back to your posts.
Been avoiding thinking about any gimbal, but yours made it look good.
Did you have to crop to get the legs out of the video?
Shadrack is online now Find More Posts by Shadrack
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:03 PM
Addicted
United States, CO, Parker
Joined Dec 2011
1,132 Posts
Skids are done!

Blade 350QX Folding skids (1 min 39 sec)
Sixinarow is offline Find More Posts by Sixinarow
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:12 PM
Not Broken Means Fix It
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2013
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
Have to ask.
I have always wondered.
I have one a few kilometers from where we fly, but we keep it low for fpv and just around the fields.
One bird? No. Flock of birds? Absolutely. Just as Capt Sully.
Leo Trader is offline Find More Posts by Leo Trader
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:22 PM
United States, DC, Washington D.C.
Joined Aug 2002
271 Posts
It wants it... it needs the precious... those are sweet. I've seen similar on DJI just not the 350. DIY or have a link?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixinarow View Post
wuudogg is offline Find More Posts by wuudogg
United States, NY, Fulton
Joined Aug 2013
1,109 Posts
I fly a small Syma X1 near my home. More than once I've noticed a bird will change direction and come over near my quad in flight. They seem to just check it out and then take off. Not sure what kind of birds they are, not birds of prey. They have such incredible flying ability that I'm sure I couldn't hit one even if I tried.
4_Props is offline Find More Posts by 4_Props
RCG Plus Member
Joined Dec 2013
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadrack View Post
Have to ask.
I have always wondered.
Yes a bird can cause an aircraft damage..the severity depends on the aircraft and the bird, bird activity is monitored around airfields and pilots are briefed bird avoidance strike hazard(BASH). An injested RC aircraft like a Blade 350 could potentially do severe damage to a gas turbine engine.
As mentioned birds are pretty good at self preservation(getting out of the way of aircraft) I've seen birds I just knew we were going to hit amazingly escape death. Had they been an RC aircraft it would have been a different story lol..
HIGHOCTANE32 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHOCTANE32
Last edited by HIGHOCTANE32; Dec 08, 2013 at 08:28 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:29 PM
Addicted
Joined Dec 2011
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Trader View Post
One bird? No.
Not necessarily. Depends how big of a bird and where it hits. Get a bird sucked into a single-engine turbojet/turbofan and it could down the plane.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 08:39 PM
Addicted
Joined Dec 2011
1,132 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuudogg View Post
It wants it... it needs the precious... those are sweet. I've seen similar on DJI just not the 350. DIY or have a link?
Thanks! The local hobby shop has an S800 Evo in for repairs so I sketched the linkage and modified it to work on my quad.

I'll be posting videos and pics to the 350QX mods thread and post a link here for anyone interested