Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:10 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bold View Post
You always can make one yourself
What is your range on that? Looks very nice but with the stock antenna I would imagine your signal gets blocked a bit from certain angles.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:23 PM
Inspector Gadget
United Kingdom, Blackpool
Joined Aug 2011
168 Posts
Deleted. To put all your minds and concerns at rest - I won't be doing anything like that again!!!!!!!!!
modea2 is offline Find More Posts by modea2
Last edited by modea2; Jan 10, 2014 at 04:49 PM. Reason: Not relevant any more
Old Dec 08, 2013, 01:23 PM
Joined Dec 2013
480 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo Trader View Post
So how significant is a modification (prop adapters, CF props) that ends up using 10% more amps and 15% more watts? How does that translate into real world battery times?
My question would be where is the extra power consumption coming from? Added rotating weight of the adapters? Also what does that do to performance? I saw a video on YouTube of stock side by side with carbon fiber/and adapters just take off, some hovering with ascent and decent and to my untrained eye the stock set up looked more responsive..my again untrained/uneducated presumption was the extra weight of the adapters was robbing some power. Thoughts?

So I guess what I'm wondering is what is the benefit of using blade adapters and CF blades if they are possibly less efficient(assumption)?
HIGHOCTANE32 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHOCTANE32
Last edited by HIGHOCTANE32; Dec 08, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:12 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Dec 2013
15 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
What is your range on that? Looks very nice but with the stock antenna I would imagine your signal gets blocked a bit from certain angles.
i don't know yet. I made this to replace the stock body after a crash. But since then i have a calibration problem. So i thought, it might be the carbon frame. Thats why i swapped the guts to a F330 frame. Unfortunately the problem remains. Still waiting for a solution.
bold is offline Find More Posts by bold
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:22 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,346 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bold View Post
You always can make one yourself
I like !
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:28 PM
Not Broken Means Fix It
United States, NC, New Bern
Joined Apr 2013
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE32 View Post
My question would be where is the extra power consumption coming from? Added rotating weight of the adapters? Also what does that do to performance? I saw a video on YouTube of stock side by side with carbon fiber/and adapters just take off, some hovering with ascent and decent and to my untrained eye the stock set up looked more responsive..my again untrained/uneducated presumption was the extra weight of the adapters was robbing some power. Thoughts?

So I guess what I'm wondering is what is the benefit of using blade adapters and CF blades if they are possibly less efficient(assumption)?
I think HH did a very good job in designing the stock (B) props and for all around performance, they're hard to beat. But if you're looking for best performance (speed, agility) or best smoothness (for video) there are other choices. Plus, individual flying styles may result in different opinions about the same setup.

One thing I've learned from my brief time in this hobby is that rc flyers are, by nature, inveterate tinkerers. It wouldn't surprise a bit to hear some were taking apart toaster ovens when they were 5 years old just to see how they worked.
Leo Trader is offline Find More Posts by Leo Trader
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:44 PM
United States, CA, Santa Barbara
Joined Nov 2009
653 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHOCTANE32 View Post

My first thoughts are that the extra power consumption is coming from the blade style. Even though the carbon fiber blades are 8 x 4.5, the shape is different than the stock blades.

As far as the adapters adding rotating weight, this would be negligible. The force exerted on the motor from an 8" prop spinning and pushing air is huge compared to the few grams the adapters and props themselves add to the spinning motor.

Terry.
sotog is offline Find More Posts by sotog
Site Sponsor
Old Dec 08, 2013, 02:54 PM
That sky looks like ground...
United States, CA, Shingle Springs
Joined Sep 2013
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sotog View Post
Now that would be cool! It would be kind of like a Shelby Cobra (and probably close to the same price)!
It would also require moving the receiver and GPS antennas outside the body, bit for the extra strength it may well be worth it.
Wrath is offline Find More Posts by Wrath
Old Dec 08, 2013, 03:52 PM
United States, AR, Lead Hill
Joined Jan 2013
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by modea2 View Post
Hi all, Flew mine in Agility mode for the first time last week. I put on full throttle just to see how high it could go. It soared up to an almost imperceptible dot in the (cloudy) sky. So I thought I would test "Return To Home" from that height. So I pressed the lever and held.................and held................. and held................
I almost got brown trousers as it didn't appear to respond. I Let go of the lever and cut the throttle.......... still nothing! In desperation I pressed the lever again and kept holding it for what seemed ages. Then......... Whew! Is that dot getting bigger? Yes it is (big sigh of relief). When it got down enough it seemed to be heading for a clump of trees nearby so I let go of the RTH lever and landed it manually. When I checked the video I could hear the motor cut but it doesn't appear to be dropping, or perhaps it is because it was so high it makes it so much more difficult to tell?
Anyway, here is the video below for what it's worth. Notice how small Blackpool Tower looks in the distance! How high can this darn thing fly? The tower is 500ft high!

http://vimeo.com/81328986
Does this answer your question?

Outstanding video by the way....
PaPaGrizz is offline Find More Posts by PaPaGrizz
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:04 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Hi all, Flew mine in Agility mode for the first time last week. I put on full throttle just to see how high it could go. It soared up to an almost imperceptible dot in the (cloudy) sky. So I thought I would test "Return To Home" from that height. So I pressed the lever and held.................and held................. and held................
I almost got brown trousers as it didn't appear to respond. I Let go of the lever and cut the throttle.......... still nothing! In desperation I pressed the lever again and kept holding it for what seemed ages. Then......... Whew! Is that dot getting bigger? Yes it is (big sigh of relief). When it got down enough it seemed to be heading for a clump of trees nearby so I let go of the RTH lever and landed it manually. When I checked the video I could hear the motor cut but it doesn't appear to be dropping, or perhaps it is because it was so high it makes it so much more difficult to tell?
Anyway, here is the video below for what it's worth. Notice how small Blackpool Tower looks in the distance! How high can this darn thing fly? The tower is 500ft high!

It will fly until it looses signal, which can be 1000 foot or more.

You might think about how heavy your 350qx is and what might happen if you have a malfunction when flying that high above your city.
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:05 PM
Ayrshire Scotland
Joined Aug 2006
2 Posts
Quote:

Brilliant! great to see somewhere I know so well, been visiting Blackpool regularly for over 54 years! Only concern is the close proximity of Blackpool Airport!
Daillyboy is offline Find More Posts by Daillyboy
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:15 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daillyboy View Post
Brilliant! great to see somewhere I know so well, been visiting Blackpool regularly for over 54 years! Only concern is the close proximity of Blackpool Airport!

An airport is near too???

Is a quad possibility falling from a 800 foot or so into a populated city not a concern? If not it should be
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:31 PM
Need less hobbies, more toys
United States, AR
Joined Oct 2013
1,632 Posts
I have been giving HH flack about stuff being out of stock. But some praise: I ordered a backordered frame and some other goodies yesterday. They went ahead and shipped the stuff that was in stock rather than holding it. Nice job HH!

This is why I continue to buy toys from you.
DaddyBigas is online now Find More Posts by DaddyBigas
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:34 PM
Joined Dec 2013
480 Posts
I don't want to jump on the safety police bandwagon so to speak but being someone who flies in real aircraft for a living I gotta say be careful..a blade 350 sucked into an intake could make for a very bad day. Especially important to think about around airports and military airfields where aircraft will be fairly low.
HIGHOCTANE32 is offline Find More Posts by HIGHOCTANE32
Old Dec 08, 2013, 04:49 PM
That sky looks like ground...
United States, CA, Shingle Springs
Joined Sep 2013
755 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPaGrizz View Post
Does this answer your question?

No wai, I don't believe.

There should be much more snow in North America than that.
Wrath is offline Find More Posts by Wrath