HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2001, 11:27 PM
Joined Mar 2001
97 Posts
Kyosho stratus spec. help

Hello, im deciding on which of these stable cheap arf's to purchase based on weight. Does anyone know the empty weight of these ships, without supplied motor also. 'Take it easy' and 'kyosho stratus the polyhedral wing version. Im aware of the easy's wing flaws. I intend to use the plane for night flying so stability,cost,ease of repair and weight is my concern.
Any help with the specifications would be great.
Thanks,
Ty
electrohead is offline Find More Posts by electrohead
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 05, 2001, 09:43 AM
San Jose, CA. USA
Joined Jul 2001
123 Posts
I just abandoned a Stratus because the all up weight is around
48 oz. That puts the wing loading at about 15oz/ft, which means the landings are hot and require lots of room. The ailerons
are hinged poorly and the torque rod has way too much friction so it is hard to control at low A/S.

You will have a hand full for night flight. Try looking for something
in the 2M span but a 20-30 oz flight weight and polyhedral wings. Good Luck with the project.
jf ryan is offline Find More Posts by jf ryan
Old Dec 05, 2001, 08:50 PM
Joined Oct 2001
112 Posts
What makes the Stratus so heavy? What are you going to do with the Stratus?
byen00 is offline Find More Posts by byen00
Old Dec 06, 2001, 07:16 AM
Joined Oct 2001
112 Posts
What makes the Stratus so heavy? What are you going to do with the Stratus?
byen00 is offline Find More Posts by byen00
Old Dec 07, 2001, 02:09 PM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2001
255 Posts
Stratus or Soarus?

I have a Soarus, which has the ailerons and no dihedral. As I understand it, the Stratus has dihedral and is controlled by elevator and rudder only (unless some new kit has come out).

The Soarus' ailerons are very stiff, so you have to cut out some of the foam flash that sticks to the pre-installed wing rod. You might even want to cut off some of the skin on the ailerons unless you have a really powerful servo.

My Soarus is fun to fly, but since there is only one aileron servo, you can't slow it down using spoileron function. I would recommend the Soarus. Mine weights just under 45 oz. with an Astro 020 geared 4.4 and 7 cell pack of CP1700's. The climb is alright and the duration is quite good as well. I've had it quite a while, and know the hard way how durable it is
Aikens is offline Find More Posts by Aikens
Old Dec 07, 2001, 03:37 PM
Joined Feb 2001
54 Posts
Slowing it down

I have a soarus (ailerons) also. After I stuffed the first one a couple years ago, I bought a second one and installed the new (at the time) JR -241's into the aileron cutout.

I had one servo standing up, and the other laying down on its side. I can't remember my rationale for why that was the perfect layout, but it worked.

Anyway, if you mix in flaperons you can get it to slow down really nicely. Tip stalls occasionally became an issue if there was a tailwind, but otherwise I would still fly it today if it weren't all packed up for our move.

Just remember to get a gearbox, in my opinion, it is horribly underpowered without it -- frankly it is a crime that they even sell the soarus in its current power configuration...I'm guessing the same applies for the non-aileron version.
Boot is offline Find More Posts by Boot
Old Dec 08, 2001, 04:30 PM
Dale Lindsay
Mt Airy, Maryland, United States
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
I had the Soarus but the wing folded. That's about the only bad thing that I could see with it. I agree that it's severely underpowered. I used the MM motor but didn't get as far as putting in the GB. I'm sure that would turn it into a different plane. Just be careful of how much stress you're putting on the wing.
DaleM is offline Find More Posts by DaleM
Old Dec 09, 2001, 09:15 AM
Houston, Texas
Joined Mar 2001
255 Posts
Folded the Soarus Wing? Wow!

Dale,

How did you fold the Soarus wing? You must have been doing some heavy duty aerobatics! My Soarus wing spar consists of a thick steel rod, surrounded by a thick wooden spar. The one hideous crash I had with it, when I hit this invisible telephone guy wire, ripped the wings off the plane in mid-flight. The spar kept the wing intact, though.

With a proper motor & gearing, I think the Soarus is a good plane. The woefully inadequate stock setup, with a direct drive can motor, should be illegal
Aikens is offline Find More Posts by Aikens
Old Dec 11, 2001, 04:50 PM
Dale Lindsay
Mt Airy, Maryland, United States
Joined Sep 2001
653 Posts
Aikens,

You're right, it does have the metal rod/wood spar. What I THINK happened was the wing folded out beyond that. I think there was a place on the wing where the wood was basically "lap-jointed" where one joiner/spar (the metal one) met the molded in spar.

I wasn't doing anything out of control but there were strong winds aloft the day it happened. I wasn't going anywhere in reference to ground speed but I was going up. I went to turn downwind and all I heard was this loud "pop/snap". That in turn ripped the two wing mount screws through the fuse and the wing came down in this modified taco.

I never found the wing. I was too scared watching the fuse do a nosedive into the road from a few hundred ft up. Based on the noise (how loud compared to how high I was) and what it looked like from the ground, I have to assume that it was a spar that gave away. I was just thankful that it was EARLY on a Sat morning when it happened....meaning, no traffic.

I totally agree with you about the non-geared setup. The 550 alone just can't pull it up without the constant worry of a tip stall. That almost drove me out of the hobby because I hadn't heard of a geared setup at the time. The other thing that surprised me was the fact that they didn't ship caps (for noise) with the plane. Yes...I flew without them too for awhile and lack of knowing.
DaleM is offline Find More Posts by DaleM
Last edited by DaleM; Dec 11, 2001 at 04:54 PM.