Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 07, 2013, 01:29 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Discussion
Mobius cam for FPV use! Discuss about your success's & issues

If you haven' heard about it yet, this cam is sort of successor of the popular 16#. Its really going strong with a lot of functions appealing to FPV. And has a lot of support from developers.

I would suggest you start reading through the first few posts in Tom Frank's Mobius support thread about this cam:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1904559

So when/if you decide to get it please post your information regarding its use and do's and don't and suggest possible improvements derived from real-life use. I'll try to compile the info and let the developers know via Tom or Isoprop.

To summarize quickly its appealing features for FPV:

- small, light, can be mounted even with a mounting screw
- 1080p-30fps or 720p-60fps or 720p-30fps modes available
- in future there will probably be more lens options available (wider)

Additional information quoted from Tom Frank's thread bellow:

Quote:
Loop Recording will continue recording when the card fills up by deleting the oldest clip on the card to make room. This mode requires either a 3 or 5 min. clip length setting to work.

•Movie Flip (180 deg. rotation) will record a video right-side up when the camera must be mounted up-side down.

•Movie Sound allows turning off the sound and eliminating a sound track from a video file to save file space when no sound is wanted.

•Photo capture mode with frame sizes of 2304x1536, 1920x1080, or 1280x720 (no up conversion).

•Time Lapse photos with delays between images of .25*, .5*, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30 and 60 second intervals.
* Note: The settings below 1 sec. require a photo frame size of 1920x1080 or smaller, and they will not have a date stamp even if it is turned on.

•Recording LED toggle flashes the recording mode LED on the top and rear of the camera.

•Movie/photo time stamp toggle

•Power on button delay (to prevent premature activation while handling)

•Auto-record when power to the camera is applied (useful for car recorder use - no button presses needed.)

•Charging on/off toggle when plugged into a USB data port (useful for some external USB devices)

•TV out (PAL or NTSC), which includes a playback mode with audio.

•TV display ratio (4:3 or 16:9)

•GUI program for Windows OS for easy setting of the parameters as well as updating the firmware and the GUI program itself.
Mine is already on the way!
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Last edited by msev; Jul 07, 2013 at 01:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 07, 2013, 03:33 PM
throw new IOPilotException();
Ireland, County Dublin, Dublin
Joined Feb 2005
2,618 Posts
Waiting for mine as well...
IceWind is online now Find More Posts by IceWind
Old Aug 01, 2013, 05:02 PM
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
I ordered one too
HeliFpv is offline Find More Posts by HeliFpv
Old Aug 01, 2013, 05:55 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,618 Posts
I'll see if I can test mine next weekend for FPV on a quad.
So far only used it on the car.
Old Aug 07, 2013, 04:49 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post
I'll see if I can test mine next weekend for FPV on a quad.
So far only used it on the car.
Awesome I received the video out cable also, just gotta rig some mount for the Mobius and connect everything together.
msev is online now Find More Posts by msev
Old Aug 09, 2013, 11:00 AM
Joined Aug 2013
7 Posts
I got mine today and the first test videos I had done look awesome . I want to use it for my first fpv setup and hope it will work with video out good too
HeliFpv is offline Find More Posts by HeliFpv
Old Aug 09, 2013, 01:28 PM
fly by night
Joined Sep 2011
5,013 Posts
thanks for the heads up!

The thing I like about it most is the battery life. The keychains till now have been a pita for running out within 20 min or so. They are saying 80-90 min. NICE

one downside, though. The viewing angle is OK at 85 -90 degrees in 1080 mode, but only 45 degrees in 720 mode, if I am reading this correctly. 90 degrees is just fine, but the 45 degrees would be no desirable for me for flying videos. That means I will be stuck with much larger files than I need, using up card space, slowing download and editing of the video.

I like the Android interface too. Hope the WDR works well for flying.
BCSaltchucker is offline Find More Posts by BCSaltchucker
Last edited by BCSaltchucker; Aug 09, 2013 at 01:48 PM.
Old Aug 09, 2013, 01:55 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,618 Posts
Yeah, the lot FOV in 720p is unusable for FPV, the view gets "zoomed" in.
And depending on the usage it may get even worse, I was hopping on my RC cars for FPV but it's useless.

But the 1080p still works fine. Quality is really good and the view is acceptable.
Old Aug 09, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined Jan 2009
19 Posts
My camera arrived recently and I've been testing the output TV OUT. Did not like the vertical black bars on the image on my googles. Both in 16:9 and 4:3 modes these bars appear at the sides of the image by reducing the size of the view.
paulovisk is offline Find More Posts by paulovisk
Old Aug 09, 2013, 07:16 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,334 Posts
It's no Gopro...But for $80...Its awesome.

Église de Saint Étienne de Mer Morte (De-shaken by Youtube) (1 min 3 sec)

Counting Deer (1 min 59 sec)

Froidfond Quadcopter Fun (1 min 47 sec)
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Aug 11, 2013, 12:14 PM
Joined Jul 2008
253 Posts
Well, most important thing for fpv is how well behaves tv out, someone mentioned that lag is quite noticable, wondering how it is compared to gopro/ccd.
dziedrius is offline Find More Posts by dziedrius
Old Aug 11, 2013, 03:27 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,618 Posts
I was thinking about that, trying to figure out a way to show it well in video.
The GoPro also has some delay and I was hopping the mobius could be an alternative to it.

NOTE: About FPV notice the still existing problem when the cards gets full that the warning message covers the screen.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:03 PM
Just trying to get a nut.
United States, VA, McLean
Joined Oct 2006
6,334 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceWind View Post

NOTE: About FPV notice the still existing problem when the cards gets full that the warning message covers the screen.
This has been addressed in the newest FW update. The warning is much smaller and does not obscure the view.
scrtsqrl is online now Find More Posts by scrtsqrl
Old Aug 11, 2013, 04:27 PM
Joined Feb 2005
2,618 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrtsqrl View Post
This has been addressed in the newest FW update. The warning is much smaller and does not obscure the view.
v0.39? I had the idea that one only included a fix to the timelapse feature related to filenames.

---
v0.32 - release version
v0.34 - fixes 720p-60 fps bug (new compiler code caused 1080p AOV and frame doubled, not unique frames.
v0.35 - fixes an obscure bug that caused corrupted files when the audio was turned off.
v0.39 - fixes an obscure bug that prevented the time lapse images from being saved in a new folder when the last file name number reached 9999. The bug cause newly saved images to simply overwrite what was in file 9999.
---

UPDATE: Ok seems it was not listed in the changelog. (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=1691) That is good news.
Last edited by IceWind; Aug 11, 2013 at 04:36 PM.
Old Aug 16, 2013, 10:39 PM
fast
ISRAEL
Joined Aug 2007
2,566 Posts
I used milk container to carry Mobius under quad, with tilt servo no brushless gimbal needed

controlling quadcopter while riding bike (4 min 21 sec)

flying pot plant 2 - training day (3 min 14 sec)
fmkit is online now Find More Posts by fmkit