HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale

MrRCSound V4 Sound System

Providing the smallest, lightest, loudest, and most energy efficient Radio Control sound systems, on a budget you can afford. The new feature rich V4 will add real airplane sounds to your Radio Control aircraft.

Splash

Introduction

Price:$149.99
Size:3"x3"x3"
Weight:About 6oz
Sound Output on 1 Speaker:up to 97 db
Sound Output on 2 Speakers:up to 110 db
Power Draw on 1 Speaker:Approx 1 Amp
Power Draw on 2 Speakers:Approx 1.5 Amps
Input Voltage:2S to 8S Lipo

A few weeks ago I was doing my normal routine of surfing around on RCGroups. I ran across a couple of comments on the "Mr RC Sound" sound system and investigated further. I saw quite a few good comments on his product and was impressed by his dedication and customer service in supporting his sound system. This lead me to post about it on my own website. I usually do things like that as a reminder to myself to go back and look at it later. Just so I don't forget about it.

When I checked my email the next morning, I was surprised to see he had sent me a email about my post. I thought to myself "That shows commitment". A few emails later he agreed to let me do a review of his sound system on RC Groups. If I remember correctly, he even had it shipped out that day.

Well a few weeks have gone by and I've had plenty of time to get to know all about his product. I can say with confidence that I am very happy with it. Now you all probably want to know how loud it is.....right? Well it's LOUD!

What's included

• V4 Sound board
  • Max-2 SPL Speaker and enclosure
  • Speaker cover material
  • Ferrite choke
  • Printed instructions

Additional components you may need

• You will need 4 female to female servo leads if you plan to use all 4 channels
  • Extra speaker, depending on what size plane you have
  • Y connector for your ESC
  • The sound board comes with a JST connector installed. You made need an adapter depending on your setup.

Note: on the Mr RC Sound website he has his female to female servo leads listed as male to male. That's a common mistake. The gender is always established by the contact, not the casing of the molex connector. Maybe he will correct it. =)

Weight of components

I don't have the most precise scale and I don't know how it gained .2oz in the AUW. But you get the general idea.

• AUW = 5.6oz
  • Sound Board = 1oz
  • Max-2 SPL Speaker and enclosure = 4.4oz

How to connect it to your RC gear

Use the pictures below as a reference for hooking up your sound board. If you just want engine sounds all you need is a "Y" connector and a female to female servo lead. How you power it is determined by your setup and size of your aircraft. If you want to take advantage of the other 3 channels you will need 3 more female to female servo leads and spare channels to hook them to on your receiver.

Video review

Additional customer videos

I couldn't do any better than these guys. And it's nice to see all the different ways you can use the sound system.

Conclusion

So what do I honestly think about the V4 Sound System from MrRCSound?

Two thumbs up! It works, it's light and loud, it's expandable, fully customizable through "custom" sound packs, and it has great customer support. Andrew (aka MrRCFlying on RCG) definitely has a great product on his hands and I look forward to seeing what else he comes up with.

Pluses

• Weight and small form factor
  • Loudness and sound quality
  • Customer service
  • Easy to setup
  • Build quality and layout of the sound board looks top notch
  • Multiple aircraft engine sounds and sound effects included
  • Ability to purchase more sound packs (WW2 and Multi-Engine)
  • Ability to have "Custom" sound packs made
  • Can be swapped between aircraft easily
  • Synchronized gun lights (optional)

Minuses

• Would like to see longer speaker wire out of the package
  • No details on how to hook up the synchronized lights in the instructions

Credits

Big "Thanks!" to Andrew of Mr RC Sound for supplying the sound system!

I would also like to thank my daughter for letting me take a picture of her hand while holding the sound system.

Last edited by Angela H; Jul 23, 2013 at 02:27 PM..

Discussion

Old Jul 23, 2013, 04:12 PM
Ham Call Sign: KK4KGJ
United States, GA, Stone Mountain
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Guys I just wanted to make a quick note on the review. The "kit" does come with 1 female to female servo lead.

If anyone has any questions I'm sure either I or Andrew from mrrcsound would be happy to help.

Thanks

Buzz Bomb
Buzz Bomb is offline Find More Posts by Buzz Bomb
Old Jul 23, 2013, 06:35 PM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Nice review. Could you reply with the dimensions of the speaker? Curious if I can stuff it into my .25 sized Hyperion Mustang...
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Jul 23, 2013, 08:33 PM
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
1.5" tall
2.25"X2.25" wide
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:32 AM
Wandering IT geek
United States, NV, Reno
Joined Aug 2005
3,965 Posts
Thanks!
ronin4740 is offline Find More Posts by ronin4740
Old Jul 24, 2013, 12:40 AM
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
No Problem.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 08:47 AM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,152 Posts
I think it is great product, but kinda pricey though.
whatala is offline Find More Posts by whatala
Old Jul 24, 2013, 02:04 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
979 Posts
The review said it came with a ferrite choke. Which lead should it go on?

What's the max current draw for 1 and 2 speaker configurations.

Do any of the servo connections need the center power lead, or can you pull those center wires if you use a dedicated battery?
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:36 PM
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatala View Post
I think it is great product, but kinda pricey though.
Compared to?
Old Jul 24, 2013, 04:39 PM
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2003
1,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Bomb View Post
Compared to?
Compare to your wallet
Machine gun sound system is 7.00 at hobbyking.
whatala is offline Find More Posts by whatala
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:28 PM
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatala View Post
Compare to your wallet
Machine gun sound system is 7.00 at hobbyking.
I can understand that!

The V4 Sound System is a little more than that and expandable.

It's for you to decide, not me! Just depends on what you want. I can't think of another sound system that does what this one does for this price.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
The review said it came with a ferrite choke. Which lead should it go on?

What's the max current draw for 1 and 2 speaker configurations.

Do any of the servo connections need the center power lead, or can you pull those center wires if you use a dedicated battery?
The ferrite choke is optional to use. You can put it on any servo lead that has noise which may interfere with the sound board. I believe it was mostly older 72Mhz systems that had this problem.

The amp draw for 1 or 2 speaker configurations is listed in the spec sheet at the top right of the review.

I'm not sure about cutting the power lead for the servo connectors. I haven't had to do that. I will get Andrew over here to answer that.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 06:05 PM
United States, IL, Champaign
Joined Aug 2012
979 Posts
Thanks for the reply BB.

If you had a 500mah battery driving the system with 1 speaker @ 1amp then it may last for 30minutes before needing recharged. Is that right?

For my reciever power I like to keep it isolated/protected from everything else. The concern with the servo wire center lead is cross-connecting power supplies.
jwellsy is offline Find More Posts by jwellsy
Old Jul 24, 2013, 06:13 PM
Joined May 2006
2,254 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Thanks for the reply BB.

If you had a 500mah battery driving the system with 1 speaker @ 1amp then it may last for 30minutes before needing recharged. Is that right?

For my reciever power I like to keep it isolated/protected from everything else. The concern with the servo wire center lead is cross-connecting power supplies.
I sent Andrew a PM about this. He should be on here tonight or early morning.
Old Jul 24, 2013, 06:50 PM
Joined Feb 2012
1,890 Posts
Hi guys! BB asked me to stop over and address a couple of questions. Let me see what I can do.

First, the choke does come with the system, it should be placed on the RX side of the Y connector. There has been cases where the sound card will receive RF, and start skipping, sounding odd, etc. Usually it will work on the bench without it, but with everything crammed into a fuselage is when it may happens. So it is highly recommended and included.

Also, a choke is needed on the speaker wire if you extend it. A choke comes installed on the second/spare speakers for the customers convenience.

Powering from a second pack is possible, but the draw is low enough that if it draws from the main flight pack it does not effect flight times much at all. 30 minuets on a 500ma pack is a bit much, since you don't want to completely drain a lipo. 18-20 minutes is more practical. A 1000mah pack would probably be a better choice, and would give an easy 25-30 minutes. There also may be a slight volume increase between a 3S and a 4S, but not above 4S, as the card is voltage regulated.

Cutting the power lead to the card is not an option, as it needs voltage from the RX/BEC to run the chip that interprets the signal from the RX.

Hope that helps!

Andrew
MrRCFlying is offline Find More Posts by MrRCFlying
Site Sponsor