SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Dec 04, 2001, 10:53 PM
Gaithersburg, MD, USA
Joined May 2000
256 Posts
What is the cost of having wood CNC or laser cut for you?

I have a few designs I drew up on my CAD program I want to get in the air quickly. I know if I cut the wood myself it will take months before I get around to ordering then cutting.

If I out-source the cutting to one of the CNC or laser cutting services, how much will it cost?

I don't want to go into the kit making business--I just want one plan cut because I'm feeling lazy.
totalboss is offline Find More Posts by totalboss
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2001, 11:10 PM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
http://www.rmslaser.com/quote
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Dec 05, 2001, 10:34 AM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
The issue come when the laser cutter has to spend time fiddling with your files to get them to cut. For example, with my laser cutter, I need the line thicknesses to be .001". I also want retaining gaps on the pieces so that I don't have to pick up all the parts that fall out of the sheets. We are assuming that you already put your parts on 4" x 24" sheets and that you left 1/4" on the ends and 1/8" on the sides.

The rates typically run $30 - $60 per laser hour and a balsa sheet might take 3-4 minutes to cut out depending on how many lines. There is usually a minimum setup charge.

I would be glad to look at your files and give you a quote. You can email dxf files at doug@mountainmodels.com

Doug Binder
Mountain Models
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Dec 05, 2001, 11:58 AM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Seems we're on a similar subject, here. I'll send you a file, as you spec'd. Just need to know the dimension you want for the 'retaining gaps'. I'd figure .050, just guessing...

I have a couple I'd like to clean up and try myself.

I know what you mean about fiddling with the files. I have an engraver, which customers often send cad files to cut. Seems I'm always having to move stuff around to fit on the sheet the most efficiently, or sometimes, at all. I just shake my head when I watch the gantry go from one corner to the other and back, due to the order of the vectors.

What format? .dwg, .dxf, .tcw?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Dec 05, 2001, 03:54 PM
Mountain Models Wannabe
Ithaca, NY USA
Joined Mar 2001
4,371 Posts
genebond, retaining gaps of .040" work well. On long parts, every 2" is good. Try to run them with the grain. DXFs or DWGs are great.

Doug
CoClimber is offline Find More Posts by CoClimber
Old Jun 11, 2008, 01:01 PM
Joined Aug 2005
30 Posts
i made one by myself and it cost around 100USD maybe less
logicalmetal is offline Find More Posts by logicalmetal
Old Jun 11, 2008, 02:35 PM
Bernoulli+Newton=Lift
Somewhere south of Chicago, IL
Joined Jan 2006
1,952 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by totalboss
I have a few designs I drew up on my CAD program I want to get in the air quickly. I know if I cut the wood myself it will take months before I get around to ordering then cutting.

If I out-source the cutting to one of the CNC or laser cutting services, how much will it cost?

I don't want to go into the kit making business--I just want one plan cut because I'm feeling lazy.
I've had great success from http://www.manzanolaser.com/ - I built a tandem wing 48" wingspan model from my own plans, and the total cost including shipping was less than $50. Nice wood, too.

Granted, I spent a LOT of time nesting the parts as best I could, to maximize wood usage and minimize waste, and the size of your model and length of cuts will determine total cost, but I thought this pricing was extremely reasonable given what I was building.
magic612 is offline Find More Posts by magic612
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:22 PM
United States, WI, Waunakee
Joined Oct 2002
2,727 Posts
Resurrecting a 7 year old thread. Cool!
Mark Miller is offline Find More Posts by Mark Miller
Old Sep 11, 2009, 09:44 PM
USA, MI, Harrison Township
Joined Sep 2000
3,785 Posts
And even more cool resurecting it again a year later to point out that it was resurected last year.
RyanPSU21 is offline Find More Posts by RyanPSU21
Old Sep 19, 2009, 10:22 PM
War Eagle!
Birmingham, Alabama
Joined Feb 2007
7,876 Posts
Manzano Laser is good, indeed!
Spackles94 is offline Find More Posts by Spackles94