Joined Sep 2003
4,380 Posts
the funny park is... welll...
funny.
headless is offline Find More Posts by headless
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2004, 06:28 PM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foam Crazy
yeah, i've seen those before. but it doesn't change my opinion of the funny park, mr. lin.
Yap.

That's why we call her Funny...
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Feb 04, 2004, 05:56 AM
adelaide south aust
Joined Jan 2004
55 Posts
thanks chuck your a great help
learner is offline Find More Posts by learner
Old Feb 04, 2004, 07:40 AM
Sky Pilot
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Feb 2004
982 Posts
Funny Park vs Formosa

Well, I flew my first flight with the Formosa last night, and it flys fast and straight, but in the turns, it fell to ground ground twice! No real damage... I guess I didn't fly fast enough around the corners and it stalled.. For me, the Funny Park is an easier fly..but, it is unstable on takeoff..
four stroke pwr is offline Find More Posts by four stroke pwr
Old Feb 04, 2004, 08:43 AM
Houng-wen Lin
Shijr, Taiwan. DungGwan, China. City of Industry, California.
Joined Sep 2001
19,445 Posts
Our Taiwan's test pilot ( DRMA ) modified with IPS, cut a lot of foam away, powered by 2 Li-Poly cells, keep the weight light.

He flew her mostly indoor application.
GWS4CEO is offline Find More Posts by GWS4CEO
Old Feb 04, 2004, 03:56 PM
clever phrase here
Atlanta, GA
Joined Dec 2002
2,850 Posts
yep, mr. lin,

funny park on ips power... well, i think the funny park would be very fun if the c.g. is easier to achieve with lighter equipment than eps400. i really like how it looks, but, boy, mine was a real handful... it is, however, built like a tank. i have to give it that.

i've flown a/e/r/t, a/e/t, r/e/t, with or without gear, nose-heavy vs. tail-heavy c.g.... i've done the homework. it was fun.

hey now, you got me thinking about getting another one!
Foam Crazy is offline Find More Posts by Foam Crazy
Old Feb 23, 2004, 10:33 PM
Taipei
Joined Jun 2002
141 Posts
Base on my experience (One for myself, one for my boy and 9 for friends all them are beginners), funny park is a very unique one can be start with very cheap 2CH radio + 400 CAN motor direct drive + autocut switch for beginners to 5CH + brushless for advanced fun aerobatic or pylon. Of course you can easy upgrade her by holing & change power system to LPS-RLC for your indoor applications..... Very worth you to try if want a affordable aerobatic indoor one. My indoor Funny Park is as attached image since Feb 2003.
DRMA is offline Find More Posts by DRMA
Last edited by DRMA; Feb 25, 2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old Feb 24, 2004, 01:59 AM
Phoenix, AZ
Joined Oct 2002
532 Posts
I love my funny park, and everyone that sees it wants one. It was aweful to fly at first for me too. I then added the whole stick of clay to it. Don't be bashfull, pack the whole thing on the motor stick around the gearbox. What an amazing difference. One wouldn't think adding and ounce of weight would make a plane fly better, but it did indeed. Flys slow really nicely. It will go fast, but is more stable slow. Snap rolls faster than aileron rolls.
Brushless really is fun. It was a small step up in difficulty from my slowstick. I had no problems using it as an aileron trainer.
Then I dropped in a MiniAC 1215/16 gws "B" gearbox and 11x7 hyper prop with 3s Kokam 1500's. ~27 ounces of thrust. Serious verticle. Slows down very nice for landing. Ground handling is awesome. I use it for a rc car a lot.

I am putting together a Formosa now so I can try more manuevers like knife edge.

Warren.
wnielsen is offline Find More Posts by wnielsen
Old Feb 24, 2004, 04:55 PM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
982 Posts
Front end weight for Funny Park

You are exactly correct with the weight needed up front.. Rather than using all that clay, I attached some lead weights to the motor mount.. she flys real slow if you want, but will zip across the sky if you open her up.. If it had more over all length, it would be a great flyer.. Probably a better approach, that was mentioned earlier on this thread, is to slice open the front end and move the battery pack forward. I'm going to do just that with a LiPo next..
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:32 PM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
982 Posts
I still have this too closely coupled airframe, and may try to fly this again this weekend..
Old Mar 10, 2011, 09:03 PM
formosa
Joined Feb 2009
160 Posts
I like the Funny Park too., I will have one to fly soon.
gws roger is offline Find More Posts by gws roger
Old Mar 10, 2011, 11:19 PM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I built one a few years ago and it was fun but I like the Formosa much better. If it was a little longer in the tail it would fly better but then I guess it wouldn't be funny. I gave it to a friend last summer and he plans to do some mods that he claims will improve roll and rudder response
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Mar 11, 2011, 12:55 AM
formosa
Joined Feb 2009
160 Posts
I like the Funny Park classic., '50 nostalgia design.
gws roger is offline Find More Posts by gws roger
Old Mar 11, 2011, 07:03 AM
Sky Pilot
Joined Feb 2004
982 Posts
I like the Formosa much more than the Funny Park as well. I dusted it (Formosa)off last weekend and took it out for a "spin". With a brushless, it flys like it is on rails.. Funny Park is a hand full at take off, then at speed, it settles down. I had to add a 1.5 oz washer to balance it. With a brushless, it still hauls..
Old Mar 11, 2011, 10:56 AM
Suspended Account
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jul 2005
2,490 Posts
I didn't put landing gear on my formosa so I hand launch and belly land. I taped over the lading gear cutouts to make it a little more aerodynamic. The motor is an AXI 2208/20 running an APC 8X6 prop, a Berg 18 Amp ESC, and 3S1350 Pro-Lite battery. Like you said, it flys like it's on rails and has unlimited vertical so aerobatics are much easier.

It's hard to find a better handling model at any price than the Formosa. I hope GWS doesn't change this one to EPO as it will make it heavier and ruin the flight characteristics.
TopSpin is offline Find More Posts by TopSpin
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)