HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:51 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Question
"EPA" on the DX6i?

In the setup manual for the Hitec HG5000 gyro, it says to set the transmitter data for the rudder channel as "D/R 100%, EPA 140%, and sub-trim and trim both to zero. My question - what do they mean by "EPA". I read they may be referring to Endpoints. Does this translate to Travel Adjust for the DX6i?
Zoandar is offline Find More Posts by Zoandar
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 04, 2013, 08:53 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,966 Posts
EPA is "Futaba Speak" for travel adjustment
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jul 04, 2013, 10:16 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Thanks!
Old Jul 04, 2013, 10:31 PM
RTF (Ready to Fragment)
United States, WI, Beloit
Joined Nov 2012
4,065 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmackenzie View Post
EPA is "Futaba Speak" for travel adjustment
Yes, I believe it stands for "End Point Adjustment".

I didn't know it was a "Futaba only" term though.

Even my cheap little 9116 TX has EPA's.
Steve_ is online now Find More Posts by Steve_
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Our Day at the Park
Old Jul 04, 2013, 11:02 PM
I don't want to "Switch Now"
Toronto (Don Mills), Canada
Joined Dec 2002
16,966 Posts
Others use it, but Futaba loves their three letter acronyms

http://www.futaba-rc.com/techsupport/glossary-9z.html

Jr/Spektrum typically uses longer or complete names for their menus.
pmackenzie is online now Find More Posts by pmackenzie
Old Jul 05, 2013, 12:18 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,393 Posts
How to setup the Hitec gyro is here. If the EPA doesn't go to 140, set it as high as it goes, in each direction. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=2
Roto Rob is online now Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Jul 05, 2013, 10:34 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roto Rob View Post
How to setup the Hitec gyro is here. If the EPA doesn't go to 140, set it as high as it goes, in each direction. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...27&postcount=2
Hitec must be a Futaba fan, as they cryptically say to set EPA to 140, rather than saying "set both end points to their maximum", which would have been better for general instructions using any TX.

Thanks for the link.

Edit: I see they clarified the "140" setting, but are still blindly referring to EPA instead of specifically detailing "end points". For us non-Futaba guys, this creates wondering how to set the Environmental Protection Agency from 125 to 150.
Last edited by Zoandar; Jul 05, 2013 at 10:41 AM.
Old Jul 05, 2013, 11:00 AM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
So, for those of you familiar with this HG5000 gyro and the HS5083mg servo it bundles with, if one had not correctly set up the end points according to the instructions (due to the above confusion), but used their DX6i's Travel Adjustment on the Rudder channel to set the limits of tail servo travel, what might happen? Could that cause tail wagging?

I am working on a scale build Blade 400 chassis with Flymentor estab, quad main and tail rotors, carrying a static weight equal to the weight of the fiberglass Heliartist BO-105 fuselage into which it was fitted while it still had the stock rotor and raised stock tail rotor. I had the Flymentor all set up for the quad head since then, but decided to add the quad tail rotor hoping to fix a persistently intermittent tail wagging issue, as well as add more realism.

I am nearing completion of the final adjustments for a stable hover with the new tail, but still see the wagging issue. I can affect its speed and intensity by changing the Gyro setting on the TX, but it never completely goes away (except while on a stationary swivel test stand). I am hoping re-visiting the HG5000 setup and correcting this oversight will help.
Old Jul 05, 2013, 11:31 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
I think the answer to my above question, whether overlooking the EPA setting on the transmitter during the HG5000 setup can cause tail wagging, is YES.

I have set the Travel Adjust on my DX6i to its max 125% for both rudder directions, and then used the Tail Rotor Limit Setting on the HG5000 gyro to adjust the end points of the rudder servo travel. A test hover then showed the intermittent tail wagging to be GONE. It holds a heading very well now.

Thanks for the help!
Old Jul 07, 2013, 03:06 PM
Flying a recreational vehicle!
Greenland, Qaasuitsup
Joined Apr 2013
1,906 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoandar View Post
For us non-Futaba guys, this creates wondering how to set the Environmental Protection Agency from 125 to 150.
i was wondering the same thing from the topic name. i was like...does this user mean how efficient dx6i is ? that can't be right...
Flying Pitcher is online now Find More Posts by Flying Pitcher
Old Jul 07, 2013, 04:54 PM
Ohio
Joined Apr 2008
1,190 Posts
Maybe I should paint the heli green after setting this? Those with "gassers" may find this setting to be "grayed out". lol