Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Feb 01, 2004, 05:51 AM
Come On Global Warming!!!
Lanesboro, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
38 Posts
Hartman Tug

I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a Hartman "Douglas Greg" tug kit. I just found out I am getting his last kit as he is retiring and sold the business to another person who will continue to manufacture his fine kits. He was unable to supply some parts and I was curious about where I could get a suitable motor (electric) that would power this boat. It is 42" long and has an all up weight of 33 lbs. I am going to use a 4 blade prop, 2.8" dia with a 70mm pitch as suggested by another modeler who builds fine scale models. Would need to run around a 3 or 4 to 1 gear arrangement too and need a source for constructing a gear box. I know there are some systems out there that cost upwards of $250 for motor and gearbox combos but I know they can be assembled for much less and I am on a budget. Any help on sources would be greatly appreciated. I will post pix on the progress.

Terry
Haoleman is offline Find More Posts by Haoleman
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2004, 01:01 PM
Sea Dragon-Lover
PDX, OR
Joined Dec 2002
10,160 Posts
I would keep an eye out for 12-24 volt Pittman motors in the surplus stores, the Hospital equipment maintanence shops, and online surplus stores like
http://www.allelectronics.com/

Ujoints can be bought for 8-15 bucks a set, or made from stiff rubber tubing found at the hardware or automotive store.
(if a motor is too torquey it will wrap that tubing around itself, sometimes Ujoints are worth the money. )
And propeller shafts and stuffing tubes can be made from brass rod, and tubing from the hardware store.

Best case scenario - free
Of course if you don't have drawers full of scrap sitting around,... then you might spend $30 dollars.

[edit]
All electonics has an interesting 12vDC gearhead assembly CAT# DCM-180, but it is 15 bucks for the whole set. You would want just the motor. Also some nice "Precision DC motors" CAT# DCM-219 (maxxons) for $3.50, but I wouldn't expect them to have the torque to run a tug boat.
Umi_Ryuzuki is offline Find More Posts by Umi_Ryuzuki
Last edited by Umi_Ryuzuki; Feb 01, 2004 at 01:07 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2004, 05:58 AM
Tromso, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
3 Posts
I have built a tug model, 1 m long and 17 kg (approx. 34 lbs). Have a look at http://www.tmbk.no/eng/ryg1en.htm for details regaring motor. I have used a Ford windshield motor, removed the gear and the motor suits the model perfect.

/Roger - Tromso - Norway
www.tmbk.no
rogerfo is offline Find More Posts by rogerfo
Old Feb 02, 2004, 11:25 AM
太刀風
United States, OR, Eugene
Joined Jan 2003
1,056 Posts
Why is it that you need to gear the motor down?
Tachikaze is offline Find More Posts by Tachikaze
Old Feb 02, 2004, 07:43 PM
Lanesboro, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
38 Posts
TUG

Thanks for the info Roger. Never thought about using a motor of this size. Most "hobby motors" are geared down due to the load on them which is what I had planned on using. This looks like a good alternative and reasonable cost too. What type of current does it draw?

Terry
Old Feb 04, 2004, 01:23 PM
Tromso, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
3 Posts
I have not measured current draw in m/v Rygene, I use a 12 v 14 Ah lead battery and this battery lasts for several hours. In the boat there is room for a additional battery of the same size. I have never had to switch to the second battery. One of my other models, S/S Styrbjorn, http://www.tmbk.no/eng/styr1en.htm, using a little bit larger windshield wiper motor with a larger propeller and the double displacement draws 10 A when holding the model (not free running). On these large models current consumption is no problem, these models can carry enough battery capacity for many hours.

Roger
www.tmbk.no
rogerfo is offline Find More Posts by rogerfo
Old Feb 05, 2004, 07:02 PM
Lanesboro, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
38 Posts
Tugs

Thanks Roger, What type of rpm does it run and what pitch and diameter is your prop? Just curious. I am looking at a 4 blade 2.75 inch diameter prop with around a 3 inch pitch for this tug.

Terry
Old Feb 12, 2004, 02:45 AM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
There is a guy on Ebay selling 12 and 24v ballbearing motors for around $20. I am putting one in a Amsterdam tug 47" long. These are a nice looking/running motor. They are about 3'' long and 2" dia with a 1/4" shaft. You could use small drive belts with different dia. pulleys for your reduction unit.
Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza
Old Mar 05, 2004, 04:16 PM
BUILD SOMETHING!
United States, CA, Avalon
Joined Oct 2002
632 Posts
HARBOR MODELS carries a large pittman motor for about $50.00.
This is all you need. no gearbox just smooth power at 3700 rpm. I have bought 7 of these over the years. Very low current draw. Buy the ujoint also. high quality. I swing a 4 bladed 3 inch prop and the thing is just barly warm. Leave out the gearbox!!!
CaptDH is offline Find More Posts by CaptDH
Old Mar 07, 2004, 09:23 PM
Fayetteville, NC
Joined Mar 2004
10 Posts
Douglas Greg

I built one of these about 6 years ago, great kit. You shouldn't have too many problems with it at all. I used a MAC gear system at 4 to 1 gearing. The motor I used came out of a copy machine and was given to me for free. So far it's worked great. I have a 7 ahr gell cell and have yet to have it run out of juice. I've run it for 2+ hours at a streach. If you have any questions feel free to post them and I'll help if I can. I'll try and post some pics of the boat and it's barge I scrach built for it.

Currently I'm working on the "PONO" from Harbor Models. Have fun.

OZ
RC-OZ is offline Find More Posts by RC-OZ
Old Mar 11, 2004, 05:03 PM
United States, NY, Buffalo
Joined Oct 2003
640 Posts
Help with your Motor and Gearbox problems

Terry I was reading your post about the Hartman Tug that is coming - My suggestion is that you go to Loyalhannadockyard.com. I know they have built at least 2 of the Douglas Gregs, one as recent as about a month and a half ago.

Talk to the owner Don by e-mail or phone (posted on website) he has all kinds of motors, shafts, props and other things you will need. If you talk to him he may even give you some heads up suggestions on the hull.

Have fun modeling
Richard Long
rlboats2003@yahoo.com
rlboats2003 is offline Find More Posts by rlboats2003
Old Mar 11, 2004, 06:42 PM
Lanesboro, Minnesota
Joined Jan 2004
38 Posts
Tug

Thanks for all the responses. I really appreciate it. Unfortunately, I have to put this project on hold for awhile as we just sold our business and plan a move to Florida in the next month or so. Onec we get settled, I'll dig it out and get started.

Terry
Old Apr 30, 2004, 09:54 PM
Joined Apr 2004
2 Posts
Hartman Tug motor

Hi eveyone,
I also have a Hartman tug, hull #110. I power it with an Astro Flite 25 electric motor with their 3-1 belt reducer(not sold now, it's old) and use the Hartman fiberglass prop which is a 3" and was listed as an 8" pitch. I want a solid brass or bronze cast prop now for the appearance sake.
If you go to the Scale Marine Products site, http://www.scalemarine.com/pages/1/index.htm, you'll find that seem to be a solid company and will carry on Mr. Hartman's work just fine. Mr. Hartman is still working with them some hours per week but needs to cut back.
The only thing I've always wanted was a modern stack and haven't taken on the task yet as I'll need to rebuild a lot...someday.
I hope we'll all be happy, summer coming and sailing needs to be done.
SteveHend is offline Find More Posts by SteveHend
Old Aug 06, 2004, 03:58 PM
Ontario Canada
Joined Aug 2004
2 Posts
I am also building the Hartman tug,Douglas Greg. I have purchased many extra Pitman 3700 motors (12v.3700 R.P.M.) also I have the motor mount and heavy duty machined steel universal joint 3/16 to 1/4. I also have extra gear reduction units- 2.33:1 ratio steel gears in milled aluminium housing.If you are interrested in powering this tug the way it meant to be powered I am willing to sell this complete for $100.00 U.S.+ shipping. These items are all new unused.
John Briand is offline Find More Posts by John Briand
Old Apr 16, 2006, 06:22 AM
Model Builder
Joined Apr 2006
34 Posts
Please let the word get out that Dwight Hartman still sells his kits of these tugs. My father just ordered two!!!
Allen D is offline Find More Posts by Allen D