SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2004, 02:11 AM
GRAVITY... Just Say NO!
Toledo, OH
Joined Apr 2002
994 Posts
Why were your running a 3s pack? That's over 11 volts. I'm thinking that is a bit much for the little GWS fans.
ArcherAce is offline Find More Posts by ArcherAce
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2004, 02:15 AM
BGR
Foam Junkie
United States, CA, Oceanside
Joined Dec 2003
1,656 Posts
Is it possible to put fuses on the batteries so that if the amp draw gets too great that it would blow the fuse? Maybe a slow blow fuse rated a bit higher than the full load amps.

I know that this would also result in a loss of control but its better than a meltdown.
BGR is offline Find More Posts by BGR
Old Feb 01, 2004, 02:18 AM
Port Stephens NSW Australia
Joined Dec 2001
249 Posts
Thanks again mate for all your good advice.........

I don't think I'll ever know for SURE what happened this morning but if I replace the ESC with one that will definitely handle the current, and also make sure all my wiring harnesses and adaptors are well made then hopefully the A10 will rise from the ashes.

regards and happy flying guys

Aussieparkflyer
AussieParkflyer is offline Find More Posts by AussieParkflyer
Old Feb 01, 2004, 02:20 AM
Joined Dec 2001
249 Posts
Well ArcherAce I have tried to fly the A10 on 7.4 volt lithiums but it was underpowered.

I have had advice from several ezone members that the A-10 flies well on the 11.1 v packs, I even have a video here of a memebers A-10 flying great.........even so, if this were the case the motors would have burnt out rather than the batteries.

BTW my EDF55's are fitted with GWS 300H motors which supposedly will handle higher voltages than the standard 300's.
Old Feb 01, 2004, 02:25 AM
Nickel what?
Prescott, Arizona, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,365 Posts
sounds like your Y harness may have had a prob and broke one of the wires to the pack thats still 'good' (although I dont think I'd fly that pack again, lol).
Phreakish is offline Find More Posts by Phreakish
Old Feb 01, 2004, 02:30 AM
Joined Dec 2001
249 Posts
Well Phreakish at the price I pay here in Australia for 3 cell lipolys ($85) I have to believe it is still ok.
I have charged it.........took about 250mah......seems ok so only time will tell.

I would love to be able to check individual cell voltages but I'm not keen to cut the pack open.
Old Feb 01, 2004, 03:42 AM
Fly it like you stole it..
Florence, Al
Joined Oct 2000
29,310 Posts
Can you not poke through the covering on the bottom of the pack and check each cell?
Tram is offline Find More Posts by Tram
Old Feb 01, 2004, 04:30 AM
Wheat Ridge,co
Joined Nov 2002
81 Posts
The cells should be matched for best performance. If one cell developed a higher cell resistance then the other packs that are in parallel with it would have to make up the current. Also the lithium packs need to be kept flat. If they are bent in a crash then their internal resistance will increase. This problem is hard to detect if the cells are in parallel. The only way to check for it is to put a load on the cell and measure the voltage.
But I suspect that your problem was the poor wiring job on the battery conector. It does't pay to skimp on the battery wiring when the batteries cost $85.
DenverDave is offline Find More Posts by DenverDave
Old Feb 01, 2004, 04:47 AM
Leave me alone!
Kamloops, BC, Canada
Joined Feb 2002
15,106 Posts
Re: Lipo fire..........cell imbalance?

Quote:
Originally posted by AussieParkflyer
Havent had any response to this query in batteries forum so thought I would re-post in the largest forum here.
I'm afraid that's not how it works. Cross-posting is a no-no. I see as many replies to the batteries query as this one, anyway. I'm going to close this down.

Martin
Martin Hunter is offline Find More Posts by Martin Hunter
Old Feb 01, 2004, 09:39 AM
Walled Lake, MI, USA
Joined Feb 2000
11,182 Posts
Cell balance problems have been detected on brand new packs, so it does not necessarily require heavy use to cause imbalance:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=184420

But imbalance problems usually show up during charging. The number of packs that have failed catastophically during flight is much smaller than those that have failed during charging or on the ground after being damaged in a crash.

When Kokam engineers analyzed a number of failed packs, they found that one of the leading causes was bad solder joints on the tabs. Here's a good message from Kokam's JJ Hong citing various causes they found for failed packs:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...86#post1435386

Many possibilities, but the ESC sounds like a leading candidate in your case. Even if it was the ESC this time, it is important to check cell balance periodically.
Dave Hederich is offline Find More Posts by Dave Hederich
Old Feb 01, 2004, 11:53 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,674 Posts
I have merged the two separate threads started on this subject.

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Feb 01, 2004, 02:08 PM
Rhinebeck CD-99,00,01,02
New Bern, NC
Joined Mar 2001
3,074 Posts
Aussie

If you are going to use 3 cell Lipo packs, you might want to use a speed controller that has a programmable LVC, low voltage cutoff, and set it to 9 volts for the 3 cell pack. Pulling too much juice out of those cells will kill them too.
Sorry to hear about the fire, but it could have been much worse. My buddies discharged pack shorted out on his way home, no crash or misuse either, and set his car on fire. He thinks it was faulty soldering in the pack, which he did himself.

Tom.
Tom Smith is offline Find More Posts by Tom Smith
Last edited by Tom Smith; Feb 01, 2004 at 08:37 PM.
Old Feb 01, 2004, 07:39 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
21,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Tram
Can you not poke through the covering on the bottom of the pack and check each cell?
As long as he doesn't "poke" thru the Aluminun foil lipo skin....ooops

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 01, 2004, 09:00 PM
Joined Feb 2004
1 Posts
You could put a fuse between the esc and the motors to remove the load but still keep the radio powered.
Majorii is offline Find More Posts by Majorii