Old Jan 31, 2004, 07:42 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
Question
High/Up starts-winter's affect ?

Hey, all!!
I was just out today with my 2M Aspire hunting thermals as usual(even if it is 23deg. with the wind chill)
Upon the 1st launch, I noticed a big drop in the power of the pull!
I had only gotton about 2/3s of normal launch hight!
After I got her back in, I made shure everything was ok and working, it was, so I attempted another launch, with the same amount of steps to strech it and such(exactly as I would always do) and had the same results.
I know that I am not doing anything wrong...
So what could be affecting my Up start? The alastic feels weaker.
Is it the cold that might be affecting the rubber?
Please help
-Jake
Mchone, Jake is offline Find More Posts by Mchone, Jake
Last edited by Mchone, Jake; Jan 31, 2004 at 07:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:23 PM
the flying is good
USA, CT, Hamden
Joined Oct 2002
2,110 Posts
Yes, it is the cold weather. No, the wind chill has nothing to do with it.

Being aware of the weather, whether national, local, macro or miro, is important for anyone planning on flying a glider for extended periods.

It also seems that chemistry and a knowledge of physics are helpful.

All that counts is that you have fun! Some flights fall short of what you would like, others will leave you glowing.
dephela is online now Find More Posts by dephela
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:41 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
I figured that was it, but wasnt sure. THANKS for replying!
And thank the Lord for EPs ~giggle~
Old Feb 01, 2004, 12:45 AM
Punta Gorda, FL
Joined Apr 2002
4,952 Posts
You have permanently damaged the rubber by stretching it so much in sub freezing temperatures. Replace the rubber now so that you will have a good histart when it is safe to use one at temperatures above freezing.

See:
http://www.aerofoam.com/hosemonster.html
Ollie is offline Find More Posts by Ollie
Old Feb 01, 2004, 12:48 AM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
The cold also affects battery life to about the same degree - maybe 2/3 normal duration. Of course it also affects pilot's duration.

John
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Feb 01, 2004, 01:13 AM
Everett, WA, USA
Joined Jun 2003
37 Posts
cold weather histart

Cold weather reduces histart rubbers effectiveness. However, it is my recollection that the rubber returns to normal once you warm it back up. I beleive it has not been damaged.
Gyro03 is offline Find More Posts by Gyro03
Old Feb 01, 2004, 09:06 AM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
No, its not damaged, I tested it in my "warm" garage when I got the Aspire back down after the 3rd flight.
which brought me to my 2nd Q...couldn't I just strech it and out10,or so, steps more?-But Ollie answered that one(thanks!)
No, john the batterys performancewas as usual. Its an NI-Cd, so the cold doesnt affect it much, But thanks for carring and for the input!
Thanks, guys!
Old Feb 01, 2004, 12:56 PM
Lindenwold, NJ, USA
Joined Dec 2000
3,193 Posts
Jake,
Temperature does affect NICD battery duration. Use those same battery packs on a 80 degree day and you will see much better duration.

John
John Gallagher is offline Find More Posts by John Gallagher
Old Feb 01, 2004, 02:56 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
Oh! I thought it was just MHs. Well, It didnt seem to make too much of a diff in flight times. maybe..mmmm, about 2 min. off its mornal 15-18 min fun time. Thats not too bad
Old Feb 01, 2004, 03:09 PM
Alamogordo, NM
Joined Aug 2003
76 Posts
Well, my problem with winter and high starts is not the temperature but the position of the sun. With our prevailing winds I find myself launching crosswind or directly into the sun this time of year. Of course I can always fly earlier, before the thermals build, or later after they die down. Good time for power pods.
paulcarnes is offline Find More Posts by paulcarnes
Old Feb 01, 2004, 03:28 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
Yup! I have the same problems.
But! The neat thing about my Aspire is that it is made for EP(550motor and whatnot inside-no need for a powerpod on the outside to cause acces drag), but I can also take out the motor and heavy battery and glide as a nonpowered glider. Ive got the best of both worlds!
Old Feb 02, 2004, 01:21 PM
Alamogordo, NM
Joined Aug 2003
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Mchone, Jake
[B]Yup! I have the same problems.
But! The neat thing about my Aspire is that it is made for EP(550motor and whatnot inside-no need for a powerpod on the
I have a Windstar electric undergoing revisions right now. I'm replacing the stock motor with a speed 600 and 3:1 inline gearbox.
paulcarnes is offline Find More Posts by paulcarnes
Old Feb 02, 2004, 06:21 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
Cool! Let us know how it turns out, maybe even some pix
My Hanger9 Aspire EP ARF(they also have a RTF) is a great little intry level sailplane, the 550 direct drive motor with a 6 - 7 cell, NI-Cd 1500-3000mAh pack provides plenty or power for normal fun fly/thermaling flights. I get about 15 min flights with a 6 cell 1500 mAh pack. Nice big(and small) loops and stall turns are great fun!
The neat thing about it, is that you can take out the motor to just fly as a normal glider(on calmer days), but in that form-any winds over 12-15mph, would realy hender its flights. But im sure some ballast would fix that
But as I said, "Intry Level glider" its get a little boring...im working on a bird of time @ the moment, it will be a fast build, because im usig the ARF fues, and building the wings so I can stringthen them up a little more than the ARF's.
Any tips on the BOT's wing to stringthen it up?(its my first "big" wing build)
Old Apr 01, 2004, 06:42 PM
Team LightRC
United States, KY, Berea
Joined Dec 2003
6,781 Posts
Great news, guys. UPS have finaly got my ARF BOT to me(yeah, took one hell of a long time... :sad: )
But after taking a little of the covering off the wing roots, it looks strong enough for my high-starts, so all I will do is make the cinter section a one piece and us some VERY hard wood for the wing soiner and use some nice strong epoxy. Maybe some CF rods if all else fails.