HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 01, 2013, 03:22 PM
Joined Apr 2009
75 Posts
Discussion
Texas Quickie Rat racer

Since there is no CL classified section, I'll mention this here and interested parties can PM me.

Plan built TQR w/ two low time stock K&B 40's. Both have TQR legal Jim Lee venturi's w/ nelson NVA. Plane weighs 22 oz, has quick fill on the tank and Dirty Dale shut off. Clocked at 98 mph on 10% fuel.
PAINLESS3 is offline Find More Posts by PAINLESS3
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:30 AM
United States, FL, Titusville
Joined Jan 2007
194 Posts
Nice looking plane! You did a real nice job. I too built one a few years back and took it to a contest that was held in Bunnell Florida but was told by the CD that it was illegal and I couldn't enter it. I didn't know a whole lot about that kind of racing and had never done it before but I was willing to give it a shot. That may have been why my entry was rejected; I would have been racing against some really skilled pilots and I had absolutely no idea what I was doingor how it was going to get done either

I had mounted a brand new K&B 40, stock number 4055, which I bought it from a hobby shop a few years earlier before I retired from the military and believe me, I knew nothing about modifying them either) and had no idea what a fuel shutoff was for so I didn't have one of them either. I had only run it about 4 times before going up to the event too!

I was a bit disappointed at being turned away but apparently as I understood what was being said, the engine wasn't legal because of schnurle porting or some such according to the AMA standards of the time. So I packed my stuff up and left; ain't been back since but I've flown the "dog water" out of that plane for the heck of it with my local buddies and it still hangs with my stable even though it's a bit tattered and torn! Using our unofficial timing stopwatches on about 7 or 8 different days I think the best I ever got was about 105 with 10% r/c fuel on 60' lines. Man, was it fun!!

What are you looking to get for it w/wo engine? Drop me a pm if you'd prefer.
propaplace is offline Find More Posts by propaplace
Last edited by propaplace; Jul 02, 2013 at 09:37 AM. Reason: typo
Old Jul 02, 2013, 10:01 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAINLESS3 View Post
Since there is no CL classified section, I'll mention this here and interested parties can PM me.

Plan built TQR w/ two low time stock K&B 40's. Both have TQR legal Jim Lee venturi's w/ nelson NVA. Plane weighs 22 oz, has quick fill on the tank and Dirty Dale shut off. Clocked at 98 mph on 10% fuel.
What are you trying to get for it?
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Jul 02, 2013, 10:16 AM
F2D Pilot/Mechanic
United States, TX, Lubbock
Joined Dec 2011
307 Posts
I flew Quickie Rats with a ringed Super Tigre 40. Pop and riley used Super rats with rear rotor Torp 40's. I never liked that event.
Bob Mears is offline Find More Posts by Bob Mears
Old Jul 02, 2013, 12:21 PM
Joined Apr 2009
75 Posts
Three or four years ago racing seemed to be taking off around here but for some reason died out. I built this to generate some interest but it never took off. I have flown the plane about 10 times and its a hoot. The spare engine was used on a stunt plane for a season and is a little more worn than the one on the TQR. I was hoping to get $150 shipped but everything is negotiable. Thanks
Old Jul 02, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Jul 2012
712 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAINLESS3 View Post
Three or four years ago racing seemed to be taking off around here but for some reason died out. I built this to generate some interest but it never took off. I have flown the plane about 10 times and its a hoot. The spare engine was used on a stunt plane for a season and is a little more worn than the one on the TQR. I was hoping to get $150 shipped but everything is negotiable. Thanks
Pretty good price- heck he has a Taipan prop on it too! The TQRs and some of the old Rat designs made good trainers as they were very tough and taught you landing and take-off on the monowheel, and if you can do that, you have it down pat. If you got tired or dizzy, or want to practice spot landings (need it for Rat or TR) hit the shut-off and come down.
JKinTX is offline Find More Posts by JKinTX
Last edited by JKinTX; Jul 02, 2013 at 09:44 PM.
Old Jul 03, 2013, 08:09 AM
Joined Apr 2009
75 Posts
Actually it's an APC, 7.8x7 I think. I have a spare or two I'll include in the deal and a bottle that mates with the quick fill. Any taker's?
Old Jul 06, 2013, 02:56 PM
Joined Jul 2009
2 Posts
Rat

PM sent.
CE Taylor is offline Find More Posts by CE Taylor
Old Jul 18, 2013, 02:28 PM
Joined Apr 2009
75 Posts
The plane was sold.