HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 04, 2001, 12:41 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Craley, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I'm having a bad day

I thought today was going to be a better day. Last evening I decided to take my EAM Pop-Fly out for a nice little cruise before it got dark. The winds were calm and the weather very mild. I was flying behind my house when the battery started to die and a very large tree in the nearby woods reached up and snatched my Pop-Fly out of mid-air as I was trying to swing back to the open field for a landing. I was a bit dissappointed, because I only had about 10 flights on the Pop-Fly. Oh well I thought, the wind will probably blow it down in a few days.
Today was another fabulous day here in southern PA. The winds were calm and the temps in the low 60's. Since I didn't have to work today I decided to take advantage of the nice weather. I loaded up my Zagi and Sunwheel Biplane and headed for the park. After a few perfect flights on the Zagi and Sunwheel, I headed back home. As soon as I got home, I decided to take the Pico Jet out for a flight. So I loaded everything back into the truck and headed to the park once again. The park was completely empty, so I fired up the pico jet and gave it a toss. About 5 minutes into the flight, a mini-van pulled into the parking lot and started to open and close doors. I think they just stopped to use the jiffy john, but it was enough to distract me and loose control. My poor pico jet screamed straight into the ground from about 150 feet (at full throttle). I saw the explosion of styrofoam, but didn't realize the damage until I walked over to get it. The rx was totally trashed. The batt pack, motor, and esc were ejected in three different directions, and the plane was divided into 6 seperate hunks of foam. I crashed my PJ a few other times, but never this bad. I tried everything in my power to save the Pico Jet, but it's injuries were too severe. It died a few minutes later. As I carried it's broken body back to my truck I wept a few tears for my beloved Pico Jet. She was a good flying plane, and I'll miss her a great deal, but I know my Pico Jet would want me to carry on, so I plan to spend the rest of the day searching through catalogs and websites for a suitable replacement.
Now that I've completed my posting I feel much better. It always helps to share these experiences with other e-flight enthusiasts. Please feel free to share any similar stories with your fellow ezone brothers. It will certainly make me feel better to know that I'm not the only pilot to loose two planes in less than 24 hours.
sgil2001 is offline Find More Posts by sgil2001
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 04, 2001, 01:06 PM
Balsa Flies Better!
Stamford, CT
Joined Oct 2000
6,717 Posts
See my last post post in House of....

Sam
Megowcoupe is online now Find More Posts by Megowcoupe
Old Dec 04, 2001, 01:24 PM
Stockton, Ca. USA
Joined Apr 2001
9,433 Posts
Take up slope combat and you might experience the joy of two an hour. I saw one pilot put two in Los Banos reservoir in 15 minutes. The first was a total loss but the second one was a float in near the shore. He ran down the slope (sort of) and peeled to his underwear and jumped in. Ok to do in Summer when it feels good but this was January a couple years ago. Even in Northern California that is cold. With a slow walk back up the hill cold. Come to think about it I haven't seen him since that day. Funny thing was nobody hit him. He crashed on his own both times. Mike Heer
Michael Heer is offline Find More Posts by Michael Heer
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 04, 2001, 01:39 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I took a picture of my Pop-Fly. It's the thing at the top middle that looks like a bird.
Old Dec 04, 2001, 04:02 PM
pushing both extremes
San Jose, California, United States
Joined Oct 2001
567 Posts
Man, that's way up there! I think the wind might blow it down, and maybe you will be able to get at least the electronics back. You will have to be visit it frequently though, or else somebody will take it home with them. This happend to one of my model once. Lost it in a tree at the park, and for several days I went to see if it had come down, and then one day it was just gone. Sorry to hear about the casualties. A good pick-me-up though is to pick up the latest mag and start dreaming again.

- Zoom -
Zoom is offline Find More Posts by Zoom
Old Dec 04, 2001, 04:12 PM
Williamsville, NY, USA
Joined Sep 2000
4,495 Posts
Last December my Herr AquaStar augered into the snowy dirt, crumpling the front end up to the wing.

Absolutely devastated, I mourned my loss for about 30 seconds or so. Then I parked it in my basement.

In the spring I resurected the AS, made a new front end from pink foam and replaced the s400 DD with an EDF400.

It was thus reborn the feeny-fanny-foamy (Feeny as in Phoenix, the mythological bird that rose from its own ashes).
It flew so-so, but not as well as it did with the DD prop drive. I have since stripped the radio gear from it for my ZAGI X.

Sort of like 'organ harvesting'

Larry Dudeck is offline Find More Posts by Larry Dudeck
Old Dec 04, 2001, 05:04 PM
Always looking UP
Lilburn, Georgia, USA
Joined Nov 2000
2,361 Posts
Up in tree heaven :(

Crazy, but in my ole rocket flying days, when this happened, the only alternative was to throw bottles up at the tree branches, or cans filled with dirt. Sometimes (rarely) they would shake a limb or 2, and down it came. Of course if it was looking near impossible, heck we'd just throw at the darn thing

I do feel for your loses, but the only other possibilities I see are:

Violent wind storm

Hire a chopper and stunt man

Find a crazy RC chopper pilot with a line and hook

Get out the chainsaw
FANMAN is offline Find More Posts by FANMAN
Old Dec 04, 2001, 05:08 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
At least the plane is in a tree on my own property. If it doesn't blow down in a couple days, I'll have to resort to the chain saw.
Old Dec 04, 2001, 05:11 PM
Australia, ACT, Kambah
Joined Feb 2001
3,106 Posts
I gotta sympathize: I managed to get back the remains of my Push-E-Cat from a power pole, but it cost me 2 basketballs

You don't wanna know... but if you do http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...threadid=19135

I agree it's good therapy to share loss, or in my case, simple boneheadedness

Enjoy your next treasure!
scirocco is offline Find More Posts by scirocco
Old Dec 04, 2001, 05:19 PM
Rehab is for quitters
West Middlesex, PA, US
Joined Jun 2001
4,853 Posts
Sgil, I also live in PA. About 60 miles north of Pittsburgh and
5 miles from the Ohio line. Great weather the past few days.
Not too long ago, I was flying on the farm and parked a firebird xl on the barn roof. Then proceeded to destroy a delta Mugi I made.
All in a few minutes. Had to use the pool vacumn extension to get the 'bird. Father in law once sacrificed his firebird in a tree this past summer. He got it a week later. Hehe, still works.

Dave...
LuckyArmpit is offline Find More Posts by LuckyArmpit
Old Dec 04, 2001, 05:26 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
Before I try the chain saw I might take the shotgun and start blasting away at the thin branches just below the plane. I think it might just be enough to shake it loose.
Old Dec 04, 2001, 06:47 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I'm trying to decide which plane to smash up tomorrow. This is what I have left: Twin Viper, Pico Cub, Sunwheel Biplane, and Zagi. (Zagi doesn't count since it can't be destroyed)
Old Dec 04, 2001, 07:42 PM
This space for rent
Peachtree City, Ga USA
Joined Apr 2000
810 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by sgil2001
(Zagi doesn't count since it can't be destroyed)
But it can be parked in a tree

Steven
Steven D is online now Find More Posts by Steven D
Old Dec 04, 2001, 07:47 PM
New Zealand, Taranaki, Midhirst
Joined Feb 1999
3,427 Posts
Sg : Ya answered ya own question get the Zagi out to knock the lil sucker down.:P

Sluf7
Sluf7 is offline Find More Posts by Sluf7
Old Dec 04, 2001, 07:50 PM
R/C Enthusiast
Joined May 2001
1,090 Posts
I thought about using the Zagi, but I didn't want to damage the tree.