HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 31, 2004, 01:14 PM
United States, SC, Okatie
Joined Jan 2002
233 Posts
New GWS Tiger Moth 400; what to expect!

I just received a TM400 kit, and I'm willing to pass on info about it.
Before I ordered it, I was unable to get much info about it, or the GWS 400D motor system. I plan to modify the kit quite a bit, and repower it with a Promax cobalt 400 geared, KAN 1050 setup.

The kit was designed for people who will build it just as it is designed, using just the parts included. They do post the wingspan, 37.8", and wing area, 424 Sq. in. I weighed all the parts, and the total flying weight with recommended battery and rc gear should be around20-21 ounces, giving a loading of around 7 oz. per ft. sq. The included motor is a speed 400 with a 3:1 gearbox. MotoCalc indicates that the model should take-off quick, climb rapidly, and loop and roll from level flight. (It has ailerons). In other words, it should fly well with the stock setup and 800MAH 7 or 8 cell NIMH battery. The access to the battery is thru the front cockpit, which is good as you don't want to remove the wings to charge it.

I plan to use a Promax cobalt 3:1 geared system, with a 7 & 8 cell KAN 1050 NIMH battery, and may have to remove some foam to make room for the battery. I will add a carbon fiber spar to both wings, plywood struts instead of plastic, and structural wire rigging so that the plane can hold together in violent aerobatics.
I also will airbrush camoflage (acrylic artist paint) on fuse and upper surfaces. With the added 3 or so ounces, wing loading will still be only 8, due to the wing area.

As the project moves along, I will post pix and details here.

If anyone has questions, I'll be glad to respond. Happy Landings!...John
sammy is offline Find More Posts by sammy
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2004, 05:56 PM
Crash Master
Indianapolis, IN
Joined Sep 2001
16,632 Posts
Undercambered wings?

Aileron area?

Top and bottom ailerons?
Gene Bond is offline Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Old Jan 31, 2004, 07:15 PM
United States, SC, Okatie
Joined Jan 2002
233 Posts
The airfoil is flat bottom; ailerons on bottom wing only, like full-size TM, 37.5 sq. in total aileron area. I think with a pretty large throw and differential, the roll should be fairly quick.

Incidently, MotoCalc indicates that the Promax geared mod with Li-poly batteries would have more thrust than weight, and should hover! Wouldn't that be a gas!
sammy is offline Find More Posts by sammy
Old Jan 31, 2004, 07:58 PM
Captain Carnage says......
Seminole (St Pete.), Florida/ Seminole Crash Fest
Joined Jun 2002
5,329 Posts
Got mine last night

will be finished tomorrow sometimes as all i have left to do is tail feathers and radio gear

lotsa mold dimples and nibs (typical for GWS foamies)

1 half of the fuse is larger (taller than the other) so as you build line up the wing saddle area

directions so far... found 1 minor glitch ...shows the installation of the cabane mounts and cowl screw pads but does not direct it to be done, so if your just reading along as you build a newbie might never catch it.

maiden on mine will be stock ...than right to a razor 2500 geared 4:1 on 3s TP2100 heh heh....

so far so good though and overall as good a kit as any of the GWS planes

Chuck
AirWarriorBelgy is offline Find More Posts by AirWarriorBelgy
Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:21 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,828 Posts
I put a carbon spar about 10" long in my upper wing. If you are going to putt-putt along, it is likely not needed, but for aerobatics it really adds strength to the assembly. I notched out the tops of the cabine struts so it could pass through, and glued it all in at once with epoxy and microballoons.

I'll try to get some pictures posted

Q
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:27 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Jul 2001
2,828 Posts
Added upper spar and cabine struts all epoxy/microballooned into place.
Quacker is offline Find More Posts by Quacker
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 31, 2004, 10:10 PM
Account closed
Joined Oct 2002
35,016 Posts
SAMMY,

First, Congrats on your new TM400!

Second, go ahead and start building and set it up per what you agreed via the Early Bird that is if you are obligated to do so.

Third, the bird has no mystery in my belief except to say that it has less drag than my GWS PT-17 STEARMAN and which I have an exhaustive thread at:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hreadid=164552

and you are welcomed to browse and should you have any questions let me know.

Fourth, the foam wing that I could see in the picture really is no different than the STEARMAN's and these are slow models so, any slight undercamberness or other shape really is not going to make lots of difference except to say they will be slow.

I did see a video of the TM400, however, and it seems to have a little more speed than the STEARMAN but of course that's a visual perception since the STEARMAN has a larger FUSE and perhaps they maybe the same in speed and with lots of drag.

I have had lots of good luck with the 6 Volt GRAUPNER SPEED 400 in the EPS-400C "G" Gearing (4.5:1 ratio) swinging the large GWS "HYPER" 1170 Prop and using the KOKAMs 1500mAH (3S1P) Li-POLYs. At 22 oz. fully flight ready, this setup really performs!

Best of luck on your build and if you need to set it up stock then, keep the ratio it comes with since that motor is the 7.2 Volt SPEED 400 and has a lower RPM/VOLT and needs lower gear ratio.

Best of Luck and hope to see your build and flight report soon!
Carlos
guapoman2000 is offline Find More Posts by guapoman2000
Last edited by guapoman2000; Jan 31, 2004 at 10:17 PM.
Old Oct 24, 2009, 05:54 PM
Quiet Power
USA, CA, Citrus Heights
Joined Mar 2001
431 Posts
Plywood Cabanes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy
I just received a TM400 kit, I will add a carbon fiber spar to both wings, plywood struts instead of plastic,

Where can I buy the plywood struts?

Thanks
Tom
costath is offline Find More Posts by costath
Old Oct 25, 2009, 11:37 AM
READY!
seattle, wa
Joined May 2008
623 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by costath
Where can I buy the plywood struts?