HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:37 AM
ckc
Joined Jan 2004
22 Posts
want to get an rc bike-some help please

hi to all,
recently i decided to get a new rc and being a motorbike rider i thought of an rc motorbike. i found this forum, read a lot in it(and a few other rc bike sites) and i need to ask some questions (which hopefully you guys will answer) in order to make my decision.
what i need to know is, do the rc bikes behave like the real ones?
eg. can you do wheelies, burnouts, 180s etc? is the thunder tiger a good bike? r there any other ones around(that you can still get parts for?) what battery configuration do they take?
sorry about all the questions, i hope you can all help me out
cheers
ckc is offline Find More Posts by ckc
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:04 AM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
CKC,

It seems riding full sized bikes really helps to get to grips with the way these 1/5 bikes behave. Yes, with a good powerplant wheelies are quite easily achieved. Powerslides and 'backing in' under braking are also easily achieved. But burnouts? don't think so! (check what I wrote about the Vegas track in 'Vegas race sign ups here' thread - all that I wrote can and does happen on the track! nitro or electric.)
The Thunder Tiger is a good bike, Nuova Faor similar, but slightly better, parts easily available for both.
battery holder is designed for sticks, but saddle packs can fit.

keep asking!

John
nuovaic is offline Find More Posts by nuovaic
Old Jan 29, 2004, 02:46 PM
USA, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Jan 2004
299 Posts
John,
seen you were on here and thought I'd ask you a question,
on your site I see a picture of your nitro bike . What starting system do you use,also what do you do about the fuel that comes out of the little drain pipe on the exhaust pipe. It seems to get everywhere.
Ron
oron7 is offline Find More Posts by oron7
Old Jan 29, 2004, 03:03 PM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
Hi Ron,

I've fitted a rotostart, couldn't get one that fitted properly, just adapted one that was the nearest fit.
My exhaust is one of the originals, without the oil drain. Everybody complained about oil running back down the exhaust and into the cylinder when the motor cut, causing hydraulic lock which necessitated removing plug to clear, a real messy job. So Nuova listened and acted! hence your pipe. I would suggest fitting fuel tube to it and fitting a bung in the other end of fuel tube when engine running ok and actually running the bike on track,
and leave open with rag under tube when starting the bike and adjusting in the pit. (when engine is set up right and you are running it on track / road, unburnt oil gets blown out of exhaust anyway. It's only a problem if you leave it idling for long periods)

I hope you're bringing that nitro to Vegas in May? it'd be good to see you!

John
Old Jan 29, 2004, 03:28 PM
USA, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Jan 2004
299 Posts
John,
I wish I could make it,but I'm stuck here.started new bussiness,lucky to escape for a day.fitted yank eliminator to bike works real good.suppose to get together with kevin H this weekend I'll bring my nitro see how he likes it,just finished breaking in os motor,ready to lean it out.got a feeling it doesn't have as much power as picco xp. I have both and remember the pico having more power.
Ron
p.s. been on the nitro uk site for months,never knew it was your site been really helpful getting the nitro going, good starting procedure on it.
Old Jan 29, 2004, 03:54 PM
Wetherby, UK
Joined Dec 2003
1,138 Posts
Thanks Ron,

I know what you mean though, I'm self employed too. I guess I'm old enough now to put the business in the back seat and spend more time doing what I want, but I know what it's like starting out.
Let us know how the OS goes?

John
Old Jan 29, 2004, 04:06 PM
RCMCC.tripod.com
Fremont, CA
Joined Sep 2003
2,321 Posts
Ron,

when and where are you meeting Kevin? I'd like to tag along if that's ok.
grymg is offline Find More Posts by grymg
Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:09 PM
USA, CA, Pleasanton
Joined Jan 2004
299 Posts
aren't you one of the RCMCC members, it's suppose to be a regular meeting,if not just pm me your phone# and I'll let you know if and where we're going.I'm sure it would be great if you came along,I wanted to bring my MRX3 along, show everone what 70 mph looks like.
Ron
Old Jan 29, 2004, 07:24 PM
STeve B in NC
North Carolina, USA
Joined Sep 2003
7,756 Posts
Re: want to get an rc bike-some help please

Quote:
Originally posted by ckc
hi to all,
recently i decided to get a new rc and being a motorbike rider i thought of an rc motorbike. i found this forum, read a lot in it(and a few other rc bike sites) and i need to ask some questions (which hopefully you guys will answer) in order to make my decision.
what i need to know is, do the rc bikes behave like the real ones?
eg. can you do wheelies, burnouts, 180s etc? is the thunder tiger a good bike? r there any other ones around(that you can still get parts for?) what battery configuration do they take?
sorry about all the questions, i hope you can all help me out
cheers
ckc,

Most of us here are bike riders too. I have been an addicted sport and touring rider for many years. These 1/5 bikes are a blast!

As John said, the bikes can do wheelies and such, with the right motor. They can get up to 35-40 mph (which is 200mph to scale!, so you are talking MotoGP speeds). They will do pretty much anything a good sport bike can do out on a track, like high speed, maximum lean angle cornering, hard on the brakes powersliding into turns, and awesome acceleration down the straightaways. The squiddly stuff (bunouts, 180s, etc.) are a different matter.

The TT is a fine bike. Get one, and you will want to spend more time running it than you will riding your full scale bike.

STeve B in NC
mollycbr123 is offline Find More Posts by mollycbr123
Old Jan 29, 2004, 11:43 PM
ckc
Joined Jan 2004
22 Posts
thank you all for ur help
i found the tt1 for around $400AUD here in oz and around $300AUD to order it from overseas(with postage)-im also looking for a second hand one. also i found somewhere the kyosho nsr500 for $169AUD(but out of stock atm). i havent been able to find the Nuova Faor anywhere.
which one would you guys recomend?
cheers
by the way, anyone here from australia?
ckc is offline Find More Posts by ckc
Old Jan 30, 2004, 02:58 AM
The Netherlands
Joined Sep 2003
98 Posts
hi ckc,
note that these bikes are totaly different!
the kyosho bike is 1/8 scale and needs other electronics than `normal`. the speed is also much less than 1/5.
the best thing about them is there scaled looks.
but if you want speed, and a bike that can handel a lot of crashes,
without breaking! buy the tt!!!!!!!!!

sorry, my oppinion

whatever you buy......have fun!
bsixmiguel is offline Find More Posts by bsixmiguel
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:04 PM
Tampa,Florida,USA
Joined Dec 2003
144 Posts
ckc,
look at www.internet-rc.com . they have the Nuova faor for sale.
powertripracing is offline Find More Posts by powertripracing
Old Jan 30, 2004, 06:17 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,740 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ckc
thank you all for ur help
i found the tt1 for around $400AUD here in oz and around $300AUD to order it from overseas(with postage)-im also looking for a second hand one. also i found somewhere the kyosho nsr500 for $169AUD(but out of stock atm). i havent been able to find the Nuova Faor anywhere.
which one would you guys recomend?
cheers
by the way, anyone here from australia?

ckc,... your probably the 5th Aussie on here now and counting...! What state are you from btw?... I'm in Brisbane, Please say you live Brizzy, we just need 1-2 more guy's to start racing 1/5 bikes here,... i could also hook you up with a TTfm1e for way less than what they sell them for in AUST LHS...!

If i was you, i'd get a 1/5th scale bike cause their easy to mod, their way faster than the 1/8 scale bikes, the charicteristics of the 1/5 scale bike is just like a real bike and they are the future in racing!... You wont fined much plastic on these bikes...!

There's a shop in Melbourne called, - The Hobby Man - they sell the NF bike but their pretty expensive, something like $550 for the electric NF and i think $850-$950 for the nitro NF.... It might be cheaper for you to get the NF from Dave (CNR) www.crazynutracing.com he also has free shipping...!!!

-shaun-
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Jan 30, 2004, 06:23 PM
Joined Nov 2003
43 Posts
Australia

Hi ckc,Welcome to the group......
Tezza (Terry).....Brisbane
scaulfi (Shaun)...Brisbane
Pat 1967.....Sydney?
Big Phil.....Brisbane..
Nuova Faor can be had at de rossi in sydney...?
Personally i would buy it from crazy nut racing,they even pay the postage....ordering mine in a bout 2 weeks....
Where's your location...?
Tezza is offline Find More Posts by Tezza
Old Jan 30, 2004, 06:48 PM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,740 Posts
Re: Australia

Quote:
Originally posted by Tezza
Hi ckc,Welcome to the group......
Tezza (Terry).....Brisbane
scaulfi (Shaun)...Brisbane
Pat 1967.....Sydney?
Big Phil.....Brisbane..
Nuova Faor can be had at de rossi in sydney...?
Personally i would buy it from crazy nut racing,they even pay the postage....ordering mine in a bout 2 weeks....
Where's your location...?
Plus,

Dr.$F501...(Sydney)
There's a guy from?...(Perth)
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi