SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 28, 2004, 07:33 PM
Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
16 Posts
Vk Dr1

Hello All,
I am ordering a VK DR1 Kit in a couple of days, does anyone have any experience with this kit??? It will be my 1st scale bird. I plan on powering it with an OS .61FS. Any tips or advice on this kit would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Anthony
AnthonyHixson is offline Find More Posts by AnthonyHixson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2004, 06:09 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,046 Posts
Anthony,

Not a great idea as a first scale model
I still have mine from about 20 years ago, but it is languishing after a landing accident.
A nice kit, but with a large proportion of basswood, which is heavy. Mine had a Webra .61 four stroke and was adequately powered.
The VK DR1 is very close to scale, hence it has a very short nose and a tall U/C.
I found it to be a real handful on take-off and landing, and sadly it is easy to nose over or ground loop. The landing accident referred to above was a nose over and this resulted in the spars in the middle and top wing fracturing near the centre of the span.

I would say personally that it is too heavy, resulting in unrealistic flying speed and unnecessary damage if you have a mishap.

Definitely not a first scale bird!

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jan 29, 2004, 07:07 PM
Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
16 Posts
Mike,
Thanks for your input, I may be stupid but I am still going to build this model. I have many flights on a bashed GP Sport Bipe that has a glide ratio like the space shuttle
Is there any Mods you would make in building another one to lighten it up??? Maybe I would be better off with the Camel or the Nieuport???
Thanks Again!!
Anthony
Old Jan 30, 2004, 05:44 PM
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, Great Britain (UK)
Joined Jan 2000
3,046 Posts
Anthony,

If I were to make another, I would replace most of the bass except the wing spars, with balsa.
I would suggest that the Nieuport 17 would be a safer bet.

Mike
Mike Smart is offline Find More Posts by Mike Smart
Old Jan 30, 2004, 06:09 PM
Ohio
Joined Jan 2004
16 Posts
Mike,
Thanks for your help, I believe I will get the Nieuport 17 instead. I am looking at going all out with the scale detail and it is scaring me thinking of the ground looping problems of the DR1. I fly off of grass and I am sure the ground handleing would be a problem. The Nieuport 17 looks like the gear is farther forward of the CG than the DR1 or the Camel.
I plan on using Sig Koverall and adding rib stitching, this will be my 1st attempt at both so I have my fingers crossed
Thanks Again!!
Anthony
Old Feb 13, 2004, 01:28 AM
CO of The Flying Circus
wind and rain,Oregon
Joined Jul 2002
1,519 Posts
Anthony

I have built both the original VK Fokker triplane that was first kitted in the early 70's and the newer kit. I believe that the extra weight actually makes the newer kit a better plane for everyday flying because the original was so light that it was like flying a small electric and any wind would toss it around like a leaf! I have also built and flown the Nieuport and it was only marginally better handling on the ground, the only thing that was noticibly better was a little less tendancy to nose over. And as far as the grass-vs-paved runway, WWI planes tend to handle better off of grass than blacktop or concrete and except for the occasional noseover you shouldn't have any problems with groundlooping. On my last Dr1, I modified the LG slightly so that the shock absorbing bungies also pulled the axle forward slightly to create a small amount of "toe in" and that helped a little but it still hated paved runways! Just like Mikes Triplane mine is a "hangar queen" that I look at occasionally and remember "the good old day's" of flying.
I am now flying the W.E. Technical services giant scale Dr1 and it is one sweeeeet flying WWI warbird. If you ever feel up to scratchbuilding something and you like the Dr1 I would definitely recommend it!

Either way you decide to go you are not going to have a "pussy cat" as far as ground handling goes, so as long as you have enough experience building multi-wing planes and can get the incedence set up properly I would go with whichever plane you like the most. You can take one look at my Avitar and see which one I would choose!

Good luck and keep us posted on which one you choose and how it turns out!

TBM
The Blue Max is offline Find More Posts by The Blue Max
Old Feb 13, 2004, 03:27 PM
Lockport, Ill
Joined Aug 2003
182 Posts
Anthony
I've built all of the VK kits from the 70's and I still have all of the VK kits to build again.
They are all wonderful builder kits. You'll have a good time detailing them. I would use silk and dope for the covering. I think it looks better and is
alittle lighter.
As for flying, I had the same problem as Mike with the take off. But with pratice you won't have to much trouble. One thing I learned from an old tail drager
pilot was to add a piece of wire about 5/32 or so.
Make a skid about 6" to 8" long and attach it to the model skid so it drags in the grass. This will keep the tail in the back were it belongs. Hold up elevator till you have some speed then relax some elevator and fly off. REMEMBER, use the rudder, do not try to keep it stright right after take off with the ailarons. Of all the VK kits I've flown, I like the Newport the best and I never used an engine larger then a tired old 60. Make sure your slightly nose heavy
Have fun
Rich
houndsfour is offline Find More Posts by houndsfour
Old Feb 29, 2004, 02:05 AM
USA, OH, cambridge
Joined Sep 2001
1,003 Posts
You might want to look into the Arizona Models DR-1. I have the ARF and it looks great. I've talked to several other owners that say they fly great.
Frank
fgroza is offline Find More Posts by fgroza