SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 29, 2001, 08:02 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Great Planes C-20 ESC Trouble

Has any one experienced something like this with the GP esc's? :

On first flight all is well, C20 on a S400 with 6x3 & 8x600ae's. Staying way below the maximum 22 amps (~12-13). After the first flight I changed the battery pack to start flight #2 and just before launch I get some glitching. This happened yesterday too, first flight fine next flight glitching. Today I barely got the plane down in time, small crash but no real damage.

[This message has been edited by Sal C (edited 07-29-2001).]
Sal C is offline Find More Posts by Sal C
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 29, 2001, 08:10 PM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
What kind of glitching?
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
Old Jul 29, 2001, 09:08 PM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Foxtrot:
What kind of glitching?
The servos are glitching, moving randomly. Seems like once the esc is warm it does it. The rx is far away from the esc (about 6-8 inches).
Old Jul 29, 2001, 10:53 PM
Joined Jun 2001
1,569 Posts
it's the motor you need to avoid, not just the ESC. I've heard that if you wrap the Rx with Aluminum or Tin foil the interference from the motor will be stopped or reduced. Do you have capacitors mounted, or do you have enough? Check how many other people are flying too! Sideband is a problem too!
e-sailpilot86 is offline Find More Posts by e-sailpilot86
Old Jul 29, 2001, 11:17 PM
Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Nov 2000
6,284 Posts
What kind of set-up do you have to assure air flow over the ESC? Many ESC's require air flow for proper operation. This may be one of them.
BillM is offline Find More Posts by BillM
Old Jul 30, 2001, 12:54 AM
Kodiak AK USA
Joined Jun 2000
609 Posts
Actually yes I just got the same problem cured(i hope). What I did was I did a thorough break in of the motor, mounted the shokty diode plus the other three capacitors that come with the c-20, and wrapped the reciever in tin foil(couple of layers). I also noticed this. If I calapse the base of my antena on my transmitter on level it went completely away. So I'm not sure what I have goin on. Mine did it cold also. But I just wanted to let you know some of the steps i took to clear mine up. Hope that helps.

Foxtrot
Foxtrot is offline Find More Posts by Foxtrot
Old Jul 30, 2001, 07:52 AM
Giddy up!
Woodridge, Illinois
Joined May 2000
4,478 Posts
Here's the scoop:

Garrison Manx, I had a Hot Cat (very close cousin to the Manx) with the identical setup except it had a Sprite25 esc from Castle Creations. Never had a hint of glitching. This plane has a great cooling system designed in it. A hole on top of fuse (with a plastic spoon cut in half and glued on for an air scoop) just above the end of the motor and the esc is about 1 1/2 to 2" behind it. There is a cooling air exit hole on the bottom of the fuse in the battery box. The rx is at the end of the box behind the battery (~2" behind the battery. The rx is nowhere near the motor / wires / esc, it's about 6-8" away.

Graupner S400 motor with capacitors already installed from the factory. I've used this motor many times without noise problems.

Great Planes C20 esc. Installed Schottky diode as per GP recommendations. First day (maiden flight) just caps no diode. Still same glitching with or without Schottky diode.

I'm waiting for my Sprite25 to be returned to me tomorrow from Castle. It was damaged in a pretty bad crash. I'll wait until then to see if the glitching happens with that esc. I never had a problem with the Sprite.

Thanks guys.