HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2004, 04:44 PM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Apr 2003
416 Posts
Does anyone else have this problem?

I can fly in circles going to the left much better than circles going to the right! This applies to real flight and flying in the sim. I'm guessing it probably has to do with fly circuits around the field with my plane the same direction for so long. Does anyone else find it more difficult to fly one way over the other? More practice needed I guess.
tdriedger is offline Find More Posts by tdriedger
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2004, 04:51 PM
Crashing IS Flying
Cambridge, England
Joined Jan 2001
1,577 Posts
Yer lol

I find it easy doing clockwise circuits

I can now do anticlockwise ciruits ok. Practise practise practise is the only solution I am afraid.

Regards

Jerry
jerrysimon is offline Find More Posts by jerrysimon
Old Jan 28, 2004, 05:12 PM
Indianapolis, IN, USA
Joined Oct 2000
523 Posts
Its not just you

I had the same problem when flying planes. The club made it mandatory that every newbie land from both directions 3 times to solo, so I had to learn both. Now its not that big of a deal.

With my Corona I have problems turning toward myself. More so in the clockwise direction. Last summer I just practiced over and over doing nothing but that and it got much easier after practice...just stay about 4 mistakes high!
Buckey29 is offline Find More Posts by Buckey29
Old Jan 28, 2004, 05:24 PM
TeamTP,Minicopter,Spartan
Mississippi 31 years , Now Kotzebue , Alaska 12
Joined Apr 2001
7,454 Posts
hey , its got to do with your left side of the brain that dont want to listen to the right side , or if you are left handed the your left side of the brain is on the wrong side kinda like the wife , and it also has to do with how many apples you eat in a day . and how regular you stay . and how the money just sits in the pocket book , if no money then things tend to lock up and you dont try it

Tony
misskimo is offline Find More Posts by misskimo
Old Jan 29, 2004, 02:29 AM
USA, CA, San Carlos
Joined Apr 2003
416 Posts
Sounds like more time on the sim is in order.
tdriedger is offline Find More Posts by tdriedger
Old Apr 27, 2014, 01:23 PM
Joined Apr 2014
5 Posts
If you have propeller planes, whichever direction the propeller spins, it will be easier to go opposite (I think that's right, it might be the other way around).
highflyer92 is offline Find More Posts by highflyer92
Old Apr 27, 2014, 02:35 PM
United Kingdom, England, Central Bedfordshire
Joined Dec 2012
1,274 Posts
HI mate its true , it is due to the rotation of the main blades the heli will turn one way easy the other way you need to keep correcting the turn , some times it helps to be in rate mode of the gyro and heli will weather vain round the turn a little , but if you practise more the side thats hard it will become easy with time
holtneil is offline Find More Posts by holtneil
Old Apr 27, 2014, 03:11 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,973 Posts
Yes, i think most have a preferred turn direction when they are learning, and even many experienced flyers too.
Personally I don't put it down to aerodynamic effects. I think it's simply that we initially and without thinking about it practice turning one way, so that way becomes easier. Because it seems easier we fly that way all the time and eventually we can almost develop a phobia about turning the other way. The secret is to force yourself do the things that you don't like doing, so for instance if you don't like turning right force yourself to make most of your turns right until it's no longer an issue.

Most people seem to default to left hand circuits, this is true for fixed wing and helis. I usually fly figure eights to avoid this, but that has it's problems too because if your not careful you end up making all turns away from yourself, so turns toward become your nemesis.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Apr 28, 2014, 05:33 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Dec 2005
6,372 Posts
Yes, for me left hand turns are much easier to have look good. I also go along with the ideas of aerodynamics, and the left/right brain causing that.
No reason to push it, and risk damage to the helicopter. Just take your time doing less aggressive right turns, until it starts to feel better.
Roto Rob is offline Find More Posts by Roto Rob
Old Apr 28, 2014, 09:06 PM
AMA 1046820
United States, IN, Muncie
Joined Mar 2013
1,108 Posts
Left turns with a heli are a little easier because the tail rotor isn't working as hard due to gyroscopic precession caused by the main blades spinning clockwise. Right turns require more throw on the tail pitch slider, because approximately 8 degrees of your tail pitch is typically used for compensation to begin with.

Right turns require the gyro to correct more to offset. In turn causing the need for more corrections on the rudder stick.
Powerdyne is offline Find More Posts by Powerdyne
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Alees Rush 750 Evo Build log.
Old May 02, 2014, 04:07 PM
United States, VA, Richmond
Joined Dec 2013
694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerdyne View Post
Left turns with a heli are a little easier because the tail rotor isn't working as hard due to gyroscopic precession caused by the main blades spinning clockwise. Right turns require more throw on the tail pitch slider, because approximately 8 degrees of your tail pitch is typically used for compensation to begin with.

Right turns require the gyro to correct more to offset. In turn causing the need for more corrections on the rudder stick.
Well..... No, that's not true. Gyroscopic precession in the main rotor disk has little to do with turning. What affects turning is main rotor torque.

Doing a left piro is "easier" because you are taking out right tail rotor and the heli body is moving with main rotor disk torque. Conversely, doing a right piro is "harder" because you are adding right tail rotor to turn the heli body against main rotor disk torque.

Where main rotor disk precession shows up is in roll and pitch for the simple fact that precession in a gyroscope is "felt" 90 degrees away from the input in the direction of gyro rotation.

For example, if you give a "nose up" stick input, The main rotor disk "want's to roll right. If you give a nose down, the disk "wants" to roll left.

If you want to prove this to yourself, take a common bicycle wheel, put some stunt pegs on the axle, hold the wheel at arms length and have a buddy give it a real good spin. While the wheel is spinning, try to turn it...

Oh, just so you know, I spent over 20 years in the US Navy working on gyrocompasses and gyro stabilized firecontrol and radar systems.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Precession
Oldgazer is online now Find More Posts by Oldgazer
Old May 02, 2014, 06:29 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,973 Posts
I've got to agree, procession certainly doesn't explain it (at least not in the way described by powerdyne) . I think powerdyne is getting procession mixed up with reaction torque, they are totally different things. FWIW I don't think reaction torque explains it either!

Also how would you explain that the same issue applies equally to fixed wing flyers, even for gliders. IMHO it's primarily 'human factors' that cause it, not aerodynamics.
JetPlaneFlyer is online now Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; May 02, 2014 at 06:34 PM.
Old May 03, 2014, 09:06 AM
Joined Dec 2013
694 Posts
I relate it to learning to ride a motorcycle. I started riding back in the early 1970's on a Suzuki 500 GT 2 stroke. I thought I was pretty good. Fast forward to 2006. I hadn't ridden in a number of years, and I got drafted to help a friend sort out a bike that had been sitting in pieces for 5 years.

Once I got the bike running, I learned real quick that I needed to update my riding skills, so I took the rider course offered by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSF). Part of that training was low speed maneuvering, and the one thing they stressed is that right handers can make left turns easier than they can make right turns, and vice versa. I proved that axiom when I nearly blew "the box" on a right hand U-Turn. Once I got it figured out U-Turns were not a problem...

I would surmise that this same axiom applies to just about every thing....
Old May 03, 2014, 09:14 AM
Joined Dec 2013
694 Posts
Now that I think about it, when I was learning to fly my first trainer airplane, the "pattern" at our local field was counter clockwise such that your turn from the base leg onto final approach was a left turn.... Hmmmm....