Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 28, 2004, 05:32 AM
Southampton UK
Joined Jan 2003
176 Posts
Slope Soaring in New Zealand

Hi
I am Planning a trip over to New Zealand at Easter time, I am hoping to bring some planes with me but I need to find some things out, if there are any New Zealanders on the list can they help me;
1. looking at your frequency allocations you have some in the 35-36mhz band and some in the 40mhz band which is most commonly used for flying?
2. where are the best slope sites on the north island?, other than the big hills every where.
Thanks for the help Nigel
Nigel P is online now Find More Posts by Nigel P
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 28, 2004, 05:36 AM
near Byron Bay, Australia
Joined Sep 2002
733 Posts
Nigel,
I'm not from NZ, but close. Check out the forums at www.flycs.com , plenty of Kiwis to answer your questions.
IIRC, NZ use's 40mhz and 72Mhz bands for RC flying, but its a limited 72mhz band I think.

Lancair
Lancair is offline Find More Posts by Lancair
Old Jan 28, 2004, 06:28 AM
[This space for rent]
Newcastle, NSW, Australia
Joined Aug 2003
1,102 Posts
You need to talk to Heather. Heather and her Husband slope soar. Actually her husband runs Wattage Hobbies. Heather's homepage is Here. FInd her in the members list and PM her if she does not find this thread first!
macr is offline Find More Posts by macr
Old Jan 28, 2004, 05:03 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2002
155 Posts
OK, from where I sit in Auckland, New Zealand, I can tell you that there is definitely an active slope community, and some fantastic sites to slope at.

Your first web-stop should probably be the Canterbury Sailplanes forum. About 1 in 3 people that I meet on the slope have posted or read those forums.

Also check out our NZMAA frequency chart. You should be clear to fly on all but the high 72meg frequencies.

If you're coming to Auckland, our dormant volcanic cones provide lovely sites for all wind directions, so as long as there's wind, you'll be up. The cones are great for slermalling if the weather is hot. Being on an isthmus, we also have a couple of excellent costal sites for the regular northerly and westerly sea breezes.

Other parts of the country that get mentioned a lot on the CS forums are Christchurch on the South Island's east coast (which is in the Canterbury province and is the home of Canterbury Sailplanes (well, duh?)), and Taranaki on the North Island's west coast.

You'll find that the Auckland sloping scene is pretty casual, with most flying foamies. This is probably becase most of the sites are urban, and we get tourists regularly at most sites.
pivotal is offline Find More Posts by pivotal
Old Jan 28, 2004, 05:19 PM
Auckland, New Zealand
Joined Dec 2002
155 Posts
Sorry I just re-read your post and see you are asking for good North Island sites.

I guess it depends what you are into. Most west coast beaches are pretty good. Being an island we get a lot of onshore sea breezes, which are predominantly westerly due to us being in the Southern hemisphere. Most of the coastal sites are cliffs, so they are not great for DS.

Mt Wellington is probably Auckland's best DS site. You can do circuits into the crater. Problem is that there are frequently siteseeers on the summit. Having said that, on a quiet day we have had 160kph runs.

I'd highly recommend you post a question to the CS forums. You'll get heaps of happy replies from all over the country.

Ben.
pivotal is offline Find More Posts by pivotal
Old Jan 29, 2004, 09:03 AM
Southampton UK
Joined Jan 2003
176 Posts
Thanks for the response to my post I will check out the Canterbury Sailplanes, web site.
Nigel Potter
Nigel P is online now Find More Posts by Nigel P
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:14 AM
Switzerland
Joined Jan 2004
39 Posts
Hi Nigel

I have been living in NZ for three years and have had some great flying in Taranaki. The slope is on the beach of New Plymouth, called "Back Beach". You can fly anything up to a span of approx. 3m. If you go bigger, the landing zone might get a bit tight.
There is a nice grass landing area right where you start your plane (circled in the picture). If you go there, especially on weekends, I'm sure you'll meet quite a few guys doing their thing. Most people fly their EPP's there bet there is also one or the other Glass-ship.
The lift is good with winds from SW to W to NW. You might be able to check the wind conditions on the surf website, but westerlies are the prevailing winds. Almost anything will fly!!!

Have a nice trip and say hello to New Zealand for me!

Pierre
Wakukumpel is offline Find More Posts by Wakukumpel
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:53 AM
Seattle
Joined Mar 2003
850 Posts
Anyone have any pic's of slope sites in NZ?

More resources:
http://www.aucklandsoar.org.nz/
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/nzrcsg/

Check out this slope!
http://rc-soaring.dominodeveloper.ne...256B66006F7A60

Way
cobalt is offline Find More Posts by cobalt