Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:27 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Thanks JJfromUK,
For the insite on you Piccolo. I'm going to try a 3mm brass tube with a old stock Piccolo 295 shaft soldered in the end so I can use stock Piccolo pinions. Art
Art Newland is online now Find More Posts by Art Newland
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2004, 08:27 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
1st Conversion

And here it is assembled (except for windings).
OmegaDot is offline Find More Posts by OmegaDot
Old Jan 31, 2004, 09:05 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
OmegaDot,
Very nice work! What are you going to do for windings?
Old Feb 01, 2004, 12:39 AM
Joined Oct 2002
349 Posts
is that a bearing in between stator and plate?
Glenn Cain is offline Find More Posts by Glenn Cain
Old Feb 01, 2004, 01:47 AM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
Glenn,
Take a look on the previous page. He has a picture of the separate parts before assembly. It appears to be a beautifully machined motor mount and tube for two flanged bearings. That is really great work OmegaDot. I am going to have to get a lathe.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Feb 01, 2004, 09:15 AM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
Jeff & Art,

Here is a pic with some "test" windings. At 1:00, the wire is 22 ga. and can fit 6 turns per layer. I was hoping to get 14-15 turns Y as a starting point, so this would be a problem (unless I can "bunch" up the turns at the outer end). I'm also concerned that the thickness of the wires would interfere with the bell.

At 11:00, the wire is 26 ga. and can fit 8 turns / layer. This would work, but as you can see at 7:00, where two layers have been wound (15 turns), there will be some open space left.

It looks like 24 gage would be ideal, but of course, I don't have any 24 ga. wire on hand.

Glenn,

One bearing can be seen just above the pinion. The flange is counter sunk so that the motor can be positioned on a flat bulkhead. Just below the green stator, the "ring" that appears is a smaller diameter section of the bearing tube that gives clearance for the green coating (and lets the stator seat squarely). The upper bearing is hidden in the last photo.
Old Feb 01, 2004, 05:59 PM
Upstate NY
Joined Nov 2003
842 Posts
Instead of doing anything "constructive", I spent the afternoon looking over CD-rom conversion posts. I see that 14 turns Y at 26 ga. is a pretty common choice for micro-heli. However, most set ups are geared pretty "tall", with large pinions, compared to the brushed motor counterpart. Is there a down side to using fewer (say 10 or 12) turns of larger wire to increase the Kv, and keep my smaller pinion? What "bad" happens?

Combinations which appear to fit into my stator are 16 to 17 turns/26 ga, 14 turns/ 24 ga (estimated), or 11 to 12 turns/22 ga.

I know this is supposed to be "cut and try", but is it worth trying to score some 24 ga wire tomorrow, or is it not significant enough to justify? I have 22 and 26 ga on hand.
Old Feb 01, 2004, 06:12 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
Which controllers are recommended for micro helis and CD-rom brushless? Do I need adjustable timing?

I ordered lots of 5x5x1 N45 magnets. Will talk to a guy in the machine-shop at work and see if I can get him to machine a steel can and aluminium bearing/stator-support. Has anyone tested with an aluminium can to see if it made a significant difference?

I dismantled a lot of computer-fans today and dug out a few ball bearings of different sizes. Two of the fans I dismantled had interesting bases. I just pulled off the old stator/PCB and the CD-rom stator fit perfectly over it. It looks pretty slick! the bearings are 8x3mm ball bearings, one in each end. I posted a picture.

Tor Arne
Norway
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Feb 01, 2004, 06:57 PM
"Simplify, then add lightness"
Raleigh,NC
Joined Nov 2000
2,700 Posts
OmegaDot
It is probably worth trying 12 turns of #22. Just doing some quick and dirty approximations, if you are geared to use about 6 amps at full throttle, the difference in efficiency between 14 turns of 26ga and 14 turns of 24ga is about 5% or less.

Tor,
I am using the Castle Creations Phoenix 10, as are a lot of others doing cdrom brushless. I have been really happy with it.

Jeff
jeffs555 is offline Find More Posts by jeffs555
Old Feb 01, 2004, 08:30 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
Lynxman and Omegadot, looks like guys are on your way to a running motor! Omegadot, have you ever thought about living on the west coast? I'd like you to be my neighbor! Oh... BTW bring your lathe with you! Omegadot, how many teeth on that pinion? If you can get a 8-9 tooth, I'd go for the heaviest wire you can get in there, but if the wind ends up pulling too much current, you may have to re-wind it with more turns of different wire. I think the CC-10 or 25 is the only way to fly!
Old Feb 01, 2004, 08:32 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
while waiting for parts for my Piccolo build

I wound my new motor.
Old Feb 01, 2004, 08:33 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
got the N45 magnets in there too
Old Feb 01, 2004, 08:35 PM
CD-ROM Junkie
Camas, Washington, USA
Joined Apr 2001
13,737 Posts
this motor didn't run well on the stock magnets at all, but with the new magnets it really rocks. Got 26500 rpm on a 4x2 with 3s lipo at around 7 amps
Old Feb 02, 2004, 12:36 PM
Troms, Norway
Joined Jan 2004
7,098 Posts
I just finished unwinding a transformer. The wire seems to be 0,2mm according to my cheap gauge... will I need to use dual-wind with this wire or should I just forget about it and find another transformer to dismantle?

Oh, and another thing... roughly how long are the lengths of each of the three Y windings?
Lynxman is offline Find More Posts by Lynxman
Old Feb 02, 2004, 12:44 PM
Orange, CA USA
Joined Feb 2004
1 Posts
I've been using old MPjet gearbox front plates, (both with and without bearings) as CDROM mounts. The shafts are handy for the CDROM motors too.

It's cheap and looks the part.

I will post some pictures later........
Paranioa is offline Find More Posts by Paranioa