HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 06, 2004, 06:51 AM
Vernonia, OR
Joined Mar 2004
1,188 Posts
apparently, I don't know how to attatch an image. n00bishness...
Hauntme13 is offline Find More Posts by Hauntme13
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 06, 2004, 06:58 AM
AMA 832476
Chandler AZ
Joined Jan 2004
326 Posts
PC fan

I might be wrong but from the threads I've read PC fans are not really usable. Try a Cd-rom, 3.5 tape drive or hard drive, from what I've seen people are using DVD, VCR, CD players, etc for brushless motors. It seems to be the luck of the draw when it comes to finding a "good" motor.
shzaz28 is offline Find More Posts by shzaz28
Old Mar 06, 2004, 08:03 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,596 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by shzaz28
I found a laptop Hard Drive BL that looks good but I can't get it iff the aluminum plate it's mounted too ... Any Ideas?
http://www.geocities.com/blu_swede/Caviar_HD.html

Groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Mar 06, 2004, 08:06 AM
homo ludens modellisticus
The Netherlands, GE, Nijmegen
Joined Feb 2001
10,596 Posts
Re: case fan mod....

Quote:
Originally posted by Hauntme13
would a computer case fan (120mm) make a good brushless motor for rc? heres a pic.....
These have 4 statorpoles and cannot be used. The number of statorpoles must be a multiple of 3 (3,6,9, ...) since the brushless controllers are 3-phase controllers.

Groeten Ron
Ron van Sommeren is offline Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
Old Mar 06, 2004, 07:55 PM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
Ron, Thanks for the link. Perfect.

Good thing I did not use my hammer as I was planning.

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron van Sommeren
http://www.geocities.com/blu_swede/Caviar_HD.html

Groeten Ron
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Mar 06, 2004, 08:50 PM
AMA 832476
Chandler AZ
Joined Jan 2004
326 Posts
Ron,

the black plate that the rom is connected to doesn't unscrew like this one...
http://www.geocities.com/blu_swede/Caviar_022.jpg

The black blate has been machined to accpet the brass shaft, but is epoxied or something as well.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 06:13 AM
USA, NY, Jamestown
Joined Jun 2000
2,910 Posts
shzaz28,

I have a couple of each style harddrives. Two that have motors which are removeable components like Ron's link shows and two with motors that look to be integral to the aluminum housing.

The style that is integral has what looks like a screwdriver slot on the back of the housing and three wires coming through the middle. I tried turning this but no luck. I think I will try drilling it out now that I see how these are constructed.
JoeR is offline Find More Posts by JoeR
Old Mar 07, 2004, 08:41 AM
AMA 832476
Chandler AZ
Joined Jan 2004
326 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeR
shzaz28,

I have a couple of each style harddrives. Two that have motors which are removeable components like Ron's link shows and two with motors that look to be integral to the aluminum housing.

The style that is integral has what looks like a screwdriver slot on the back of the housing and three wires coming through the middle. I tried turning this but no luck. I think I will try drilling it out now that I see how these are constructed.
I have two also, out of laptops. Actually I think I only have one now. Let me know how they go and I will follow your method. I will look for a easy solution also.
Old Mar 07, 2004, 08:46 AM
AMA 832476
Chandler AZ
Joined Jan 2004
326 Posts
30 turns of #30 wire

Quote:
Originally posted by plumb
Not sure wich motor it is but I put 30 turns of #30 wire and drilled holes in the bell for cooling. This thing SCREAMS with the stock grey mag, delta config and a gws 5x3 prop. I dont think changeing the mag will increase my rpms any more, it just doesnt seem possible. What can I expect if I do change out the magnets?

Brad

Ps the motor appears to be the same ass the one in the above picture
Did you do any programming on the ESC? What is the can size? (width and depth) Is it DD?
Old Mar 08, 2004, 01:23 PM
Look what I did:D
orlando,Fl
Joined Mar 2003
928 Posts
yes its direct drive ,it looks like the one in the bottom right side of post #273. I didnt have to do any programing on my esc (pheonix 25) I did mount it to a small wing and power it with a 2s 1200 etec pack and im getting about 45 min wot so im going to prop up some and hopefully get more thrust although it flys pretty darn good now.

Brad
plumb is offline Find More Posts by plumb
Old Apr 09, 2004, 09:54 AM
Unicorn
(Cordova)Memphis, TN
Joined Jul 2002
1,815 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JoeR
shzaz28,

Keep in mind those shafts are hardened and will dull your drill in no time. The best method is to push/punch the shaft out with an arbor press or what I used a drift pin punch, a hammer, and a bench vice to support it.

Jay
Jay C is offline Find More Posts by Jay C
Old Jun 08, 2005, 06:37 AM
Middlesex, New Jersey (excl EWR), United States
Joined Jan 2003
307 Posts
Big CDR for DF2

Hello,
Ok, guys I could use your help. Iíve read thru this entire thread and a few others and this may be pushing it a bit, I donít know but here goes.
I have been playing with theses cdroms for about 3 weeks and loving it, my goal is to put one in my GWS DF2 on 2 cell lipo because I have 4 packs 2 1300 and 2 1250. I may go to 3 cell at some point but Iím not in a hurry for $$$$ reasons.
I run a computer repair biz and I HAD a bunch of dead cdroms that I pulled apart the motor that I liked the most came from a Toshiba ( donít know the model wish I did )

The specs:

Stator: 24mm
Rotor: 28mm
Mags: 5mm x 1.5mm round (12)
Air gap: .275
2 large bearings
the only pinion that I kinda tripped over in my collection of stuff ( a perfect mate to the 120 tooth main gear ) is a 13 tooth with a 3mm center ( the stock pinion is 10 tooth )

with that said, this motor is big like 400 class size. There is a ton of room on the stator to wind I can get 25 or more turns of 24 gauge on it and who knows if I use 26 gauge. The way I see it ( correct me if Iím wrong ) with a motor and pinion this big I will need to wind it more for power than speed anyway, which I think will work out well because as I understand it more turns = more power and less amps, efficiency/duration is what I am looking for. So the big question would be where to start with the winding turns, gauge, and pattern?
Just trying to avoid rewinding it 50 times.

My DF is already BL on the main and soon the tail, with a HH gyro, currently its pulling about 5.5 to 6 amps at hover.

So what do you think? Can it be done?

Thanks for any info and sorry about the pic my cam is not so good close up

george
GKP27 is offline Find More Posts by GKP27