HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2004, 05:43 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Best way to ship to Canada?

What's the best way to ship from the US to Canada? Small package holding a Tx and some electronics; can't be more than 2 lbs. I'm not a retailer or anything, just a private (general (?) ) citizen.

While I'm here, how about from Canada to US?

Within the US, I'm inclined to us the US Mail. Mostly 'cause it is extremely easy to use. And it has always been reliable.

-Mike
FlyByMike is offline Find More Posts by FlyByMike
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2004, 05:50 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Great Googly Moogly!
I just looked at USPS.com and it says for 2 lbs. at Economy (Surface) Parcel Post 4 - 6 Weeks $15.25 Maximum length and girth combined 108"
Gotta be a better way?
-Mike
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:21 PM
Victoria, BC
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
If you don't mind paying what might become excessive brokerage and shipping fees then use FedEX or UPS ground, even overnight air if the need justifies the cost - beware the hidden charges when it crosses the border!

I always have the supplier ship via US Mail; best to insure the more costly orders. If it's less than around $20 in value then it might get up here in a week or so, without incurring additional charges or taxes. Higher value items like your TX etc. will incur both GST and PST plus the Post Office's $5 charge for collecting the money due to the government. This will take from 2 to 3 weeks normally.

If no-one is at home during the week, have the parcel sent to your work address then you get the parcel ASAP, otherwise it's a case of them sending you a card for you to go into a postal outlet to pick up your parcel and pay the money owing.
Canada Post takes credit cards when they deliver these packages.

Roger
Rog-E is offline Find More Posts by Rog-E
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:27 PM
Victoria, BC
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
Mike,

I should also have said that it's the recipient who will get dinged these extra charges, on top of what the shipper pays to the courier company.
Those charges can come as a nasty surprize if you are not accustomed to international shipping!

Roger (been there, done that . . . paid the price)
Old Jan 26, 2004, 07:13 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Roger,
Thanks for replying though your answers are not all the comforting I haven't followed all the threads that deal with this subject. But what I remember agrees with what you're saying.

-Mike

p.s. What's the deal here ? Can't two countries cooperate ? Why are corporates so greedy? GRRRR!
Old Jan 26, 2004, 07:23 PM
Victoria, BC
Joined Jul 2002
138 Posts
Mike,
it's called Free Trade.
At least we do not get charged "import duties" on modelling items shipped between the US and Canada - we used to before Free Trade came about!
No matter what the politics and economics involved, it's good to understand the systems in place.

Roger
Old Jan 26, 2004, 07:38 PM
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Joined Jan 2004
588 Posts
What about those brokerage fees buy from the U.S. and shipping it Canada? I bought something that cost $10 and the broker charged me $29 fee. What's that all about. Kinda like robbery ain't it?

Is there a rule of thumb as what things cost and how much they can charge you for brokerage fee? Or is it one of those.... he makes up the numbers depending on his wife's demands/spending habits that week?
pkrska is offline Find More Posts by pkrska
Old Jan 26, 2004, 07:42 PM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
Yeah Roger, I know what's behind the cause of my "grrr". I'd probably do the same if I was in the same position. Still, when it hits you in the face it it's no fun
-Mike
Old Jan 26, 2004, 08:38 PM
The Hun in the Sun
Canada, BC, Comox
Joined Nov 2003
7,389 Posts
United States Postal Service seems to be the best. I have had packages shipped via UPS, and got nabbed with a $40.00 CDN brokerage fee. I have sent stuff to the US, and I have used Canada Post and UPS, and the guys on the other end have never had a problem.
vonJaerschky is online now Find More Posts by vonJaerschky
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:04 AM
most exalted one
BC Canada
Joined Aug 2002
3,534 Posts
US Postal Service is the best and I gladly pay the charges when I get something. It's in my calcs of a bargain. If it's not a good deal after shipping charges I buy locally.
Items can be received in a few days but sometimes up to 30 days. If it's a good deal it's worth waiting for.

I believe the USPS upped their rates considerably recently. Maybe you can break it down. $4+$4+$4???

DO NOT Ship UPS. It is robbery. They charge $20-$40 US for brokerage which is a hold over from pre free trade. As mentioned the Canada Post charge for the same service is $5 CDN.
4*60 is offline Find More Posts by 4*60
Old Jan 27, 2004, 12:13 AM
Rod
Canada, BC, Kelowna
Joined Nov 1999
920 Posts
Mike, I find the best way (although somewhat slower), is the U. S. Postal Service. I once had a MaxCim motor, GB, ESC sent by U.P.S. and got hit with a $78.00 brokerage fee.
The funny thing is that the likes of Tower Hobby, New Creations etc.,who uses U.S.P.S. gets me my orders in 6 - 10 days, while individual mailings sometimes take 3 - 4 weeks.
So unless Speed at any cost is what is required, use U.S.Postal Service for shipping U.S.A. to Canada.
Rod is offline Find More Posts by Rod
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:26 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2000
1,130 Posts
US to Canada - Use USPS Express Mail Service. Includes tracking and insurance. 5-7 days shipping.

Canada to US - Use Canada Post Expresspost. Again includes tracking and insurance. 5-7 days shipping

Both these services cost a bit more, but at least you can track packages.
JeffD is offline Find More Posts by JeffD
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:41 AM
Pittsburgh, PA
Joined Jan 2002
1,271 Posts
As of post #12, the clear score is 3 for the US Post and 2 for FedEx/UPS. It is clear that US Post is cheap but FedEx/UPS is faster. I'm under the constraint of a tight budget so I'm going with the US mail. As it is, the postage is likely to be higher than the value if the items.

Thanks one and all, great and timely responses! Much appreciated.
-Mike
Old Jan 28, 2004, 12:57 AM
CP140 NAVCOM
Canada, BC, Courtenay
Joined Feb 2001
655 Posts
As Long as you have a tracking number and insurance that's your best bet, as things have been known to go MIA. Customs seems to ba a black hole some times.... That's what you get from civil servants...
knight of Ni is offline Find More Posts by knight of Ni
Old Jan 28, 2004, 03:56 PM
Zzzt! Buzz! Click!
State of Confusion
Joined Jan 2004
1,616 Posts
I agree with the majority here. IMHO USPS US to Canada has always been quick and cheap for me. 5 days shipped from California! I have had about 6 packages from the US, all shipped USPS, all arriving within a week of shipping. The only one that took longer was the one Customs got their sticky fingers on... $5 "inspection" fee (aka tax), and then I paid GST and PST on the invoiced value.
squidbait is offline Find More Posts by squidbait