HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 26, 2004, 04:34 PM
Orlando, Fl.
Joined Jan 2004
30 Posts
Electric or Fuel Heli which one?

I have decided to take the plunge into the world of Helicopters. I have been flying electric planes. I have read allot on both but cannot decide on which to get. I would like your thoughts on which way to go. I have decided on the Corona for the electric model, but have not picked a fuel model. Please help......
Bob
bob1025 is offline Find More Posts by bob1025
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2004, 09:23 PM
HobbyKing
Hong Kong, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong
Joined Apr 2001
4,535 Posts
Dollar for dollar you will spend roughly the same.....

If you go electric I'd say get the Corona, or my fav, the Mikado Logo 10 as they are more stable, and a collective pitch ship. They will cost roughly the same as a .30 size glow ship to get into the air.

If you go glow, consider a Raptor .30 or .50. A .50 size ship doesn't cost much more in crash cost, but you have more available power, so you don't necessarily have to be as smooth on the collective, and when you're ready.... you can really put them through their paces.

If you consider a .50 ship, I'd look at the Hirobo Sceadu .50 Evo. They are an awesome flying ship, easy to work on, easy to find parts, etc... I'm working on one, and after flying my buddies, I'd buy another one.

Both the Raptor and Sceadu are belt driven units which I prefer over the wire drive you will find on the Century Hawk Sport, which is another good .30 size heli.

Only problem with the Hawk is that it doesn't offer much past basic forward flight and some aerobatics.

Now you're saying to yourself "But I dont' want to do aerobatics" I have one thing to say, and that is.....a few months from now, you will.

For a lot of info on all the helis mentioned you might check out www.runryder.com

--Paul
Paul Susbauer is offline Find More Posts by Paul Susbauer
Site Sponsor
Old Jan 26, 2004, 09:45 PM
Orlando, Fl.
Joined Jan 2004
30 Posts
Thank you so much Paul I appreciate your input........and yes I know what you are talking about, I can see aerobatics in my future.........boy this hobby can be VERY consuming but it's so much fun. Thanks Bob
bob1025 is offline Find More Posts by bob1025
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:33 AM
New Brunswick, Canada
Joined Nov 2002
463 Posts
Electric or Fuel, either way will get you in the air, but if I were you I would make sure it has collective pitch. I went with the LMH when I first got into heli's, and I know from experience, don't waste your money. Don't get me wrong, the LMH electric or glow are good little heli's, and they will take a beating and come back for more, (BUT) you are very limited to what you can do with them. It wont take you very long and you will out grow it, then your going to have to buy another heli (that's twice the money). Do it right the first time and save yourself a pill of money. Start out with a 30 size (or a 50 if you have the money), they are a lot more stable then the LMH's or some kind of micro heli. You will learn to fly a lot faster. You can learn to fly on the small heli's, but it takes a lot longer, and then you have nowhere to go (so you have to buy another one).

Quote:
I can see aerobatics in my future
You can forget that with the LMH.

My Gallery
Charlie06 is offline Find More Posts by Charlie06
Old Jan 30, 2004, 12:25 AM
Our Daddy and Heli Junkie
In Heli Wonderland
Joined Aug 1999
22,801 Posts
Locking up this thread. Double posted in Electrics also.

Fred
Fred Bronk is offline Find More Posts by Fred Bronk
Closed Thread