HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 26, 2004, 09:30 AM
Bristol, UK
Joined Oct 2002
630 Posts
Peter Rake DV.II now out in Feb FSM

Hi PR fans!

Just picked up the February edition of Flying Scale Models as it has the free plans for the 39.5" span, Speed 400 powered, Fokker DV.II as built and flown by Ian Easton.

Just thought I'd let you guys know its out there so you don't miss it!

Chris
Goodychrischild is offline Find More Posts by Goodychrischild
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 26, 2004, 12:03 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Yes, I have been staring at it this afternoon. Its definitely one I want to do.

I cannot believe that the prototype was 33 oz tho. And needed a long can to get it into the air. I would definitely hope to run nearer 25oz, although a 480 seems to be the eay to go.

Which is no problem since I have just the motor and box and controller lying around somewhere

I was confused by one point - there are liteply saddles shown somewhere in the inboard side of the lower wings, with a remark about using them as eyelet points. As if there were rigging points for flying wires, but there are none in that area.

Also, has anyone tried inkjet printing on litespan?

If so that would be a simple way to get the painting right.

I may have a bash at that in due course. If it doesn't crumple and tear going trough the rollers, the ink should stick...
vintage1 is offline Find More Posts by vintage1
Old Jan 26, 2004, 01:10 PM
United States, VA, Chesterfield
Joined Mar 2001
5,377 Posts
Does Peter's DVII have a proper wing that tapers in thickness from 15% at the center section to 7% at the tip?

Pat
Pat Daily is offline Find More Posts by Pat Daily
Old Jan 26, 2004, 01:26 PM
Gambler-AG DLG Designer
Lee, NH, USA
Joined Jun 2001
5,188 Posts
Pat are you thinking of the D-VIII? or does the D-VII taper in thickness too? I wasn't aware the thickness of the D-VII wasn't constant.
Allan Wright is offline Find More Posts by Allan Wright
Old Jan 26, 2004, 02:35 PM
Methuen, MA
Joined Sep 2002
870 Posts
Vintage,

I've tried inkjet on Litespan. Comes out of the printer looking great! Never dries.

Have heard that color laser will print successfully on Litespan. I don't have access to a color laser printer. I've had great sucess with inkjet on tissue. Other threads on this forum regarding printed tissue over mylar (popular scale FF technique).

The D-VII I'm working on now is getting Solite sprayed with Liquitex Matte Varnish. Chris Parent and I have both tested this successfully. Tests have shown that the Liquitex can stand up to every kind of abuse including a heat gun blast without bubbling, discoloration or flaking. Visual effect is vaguely like colored tissue. Had to settle for a non-lozenge scheme though...
Mike Tully is offline Find More Posts by Mike Tully
Old Jan 26, 2004, 03:08 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Ta guys on teh prnting.

Yes, the DVII wing does taper in chord thickness...and so does peters design.

The FSM mag features the DVII with lots of info. A real must.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 05:54 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Hi All,
Sorry guys, I should have posted this myself. Things have been a shade fraught, so it got overlooked. Consider my wrist slapped.

Pat,
Yes, as Vintage says, the wing does taper, although not neccesarilly by the exact scale amount. Whatever, it looks the part.

Vintage,
I hadn't actually looked at the plan until I read your query. It seems the FSM draughtman has been at it again. To help me get strut and root positions correct, I draw one wing over the other. All that has happened is that the top wing mount plates have also ended up on the bottom wings. Ignore them, they shouldn't be there.
Just where that rather interesting motor came from is anybody's guess, it wasn't on my drawings. This model is definitely NOT for a direct drive motor.
Don't discount the weight of this model until you see it in the flesh. The sheer bulk of it surprised Ian.

Pete
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jan 26, 2004, 06:00 PM
Norfolk, England
Joined Sep 2001
7,720 Posts
Here's Ian hiding behind his excellent model.
PETERRAKE is online now Find More Posts by PETERRAKE
Old Jan 26, 2004, 09:19 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
Hey guys!

I haven't seen the finished article yet (it takes almost a month to arrive on these shores) but I'm really looking forward to seeing it.

As for the flying weight of 33ozs, well, it was 25ozs when it was finished, but when it came to balance it, it needed 8 ozs. So what's better than lead to add - yes- bigger cells. A pack of 1300 nicads was broken up, rearranged and crammed into the nose. I was a little apprehensive about the weight too, but she flys like a dream.
The model didn't look that big on paper, but when it all came together it was suprisingly big.
A speed 480 (long can 400) is definitely the way to go. I think a builder would be dissapointed with a 400 unless you can peel some weight off the tail and I don't think that's easy to do. Even though the tail feathers are all built up, there's still a lot of wood back there. Ailerons are a must too - they make it handle so nice.
Aerobatics are easy (well my standard of aerobatics, which isn't much).

Come on guys, get building, you won't be dissapointed with this one.

As I've said many times; thanks again Peter for the great design and the opportunity to build it (and also your patience, mmmmmm I need to get to that Se5a come to think of it)

Ian
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Last edited by Ian Easton; Jan 27, 2004 at 08:27 AM.
Old Jan 26, 2004, 09:26 PM
United Kingdom, Scotland, Fife
Joined May 1999
2,843 Posts
Here's the Lozenge template should you want one... just scale to suit.
Ian Easton is offline Find More Posts by Ian Easton
Old Jan 27, 2004, 07:11 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
Thanks Ian. I am really very excited by this model, and your points are well recieved. Ive got a nice geared Graupner 480, ex RipMax Alliance that looks perfect, and the extra weight up front will only do good.

25oz is where I would have expected it and I can see that if it came out tail heavy, then that's where the problems are coming in...

But at that weight its really pushing a can 400 - 480 is THE way to go for sure.

It would seem that there is bags of room to put cells up above the motor right in the nose, so that helps, and maybe bring the servos right up to just behind the motor as well.

Then lightweight pushrods or pull-pull cables should keep weight out of the tail too, or maybe even a CF tube rear fuselage instead of balsa.

The lozenge pattern is extremely useful. I intend to somehow try and inkjet print some material for this. It may end up as tissue if no other material comes to light.

That should be considerably lighter than painted finishes.

(Peter: The plan does show a geared motor, except its an inline gearbox? No idea what he had in mind there..)
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:02 AM
New Boston, Texas, United States
Joined Jan 2003
2,653 Posts
Had to put in my call yesterday to Wise Owl Magazines to place a copy on order. Trying to get one in the US at a book store is a hit or miss proposition. For sure did not want to miss this one.

Jim
JIMA is online now Find More Posts by JIMA
Old Jan 27, 2004, 10:07 AM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
If you ever get stuck, we can probably source one over here and post it..

Its a really good issue. I don't always buy this mag, but this one is a must for me.
Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:02 PM
EGB
Joined Jan 2003
22 Posts
How would a glow engine look on this beauty?

I know this forum deals primarily with electric scale but I have to ask. Would a Norvel .061 engine be a good match for this plane? Would like to build a glow and electric version.

Thanks,

EGB
EGB is offline Find More Posts by EGB
Old Jan 27, 2004, 03:05 PM
East Anglia, UK
Joined Sep 2002
29,703 Posts
I think a screaming 061 would be wrong. What would that turn - 7" prop?

Its designed for a slow revving 10" prop. If I had to use IC I'd probably get a 1.5cc diesel for it so something about 09-.15 cu in? You want a slow exahust note and a big prop, never mind if the engine isn't developing full power. You can use the xetra weight anyway and fly half throttle.

Is tehre a .15 cu in 4 stroke?

Its been a long time since I even thought about IC
Last edited by vintage1; Jan 27, 2004 at 03:07 PM.