HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 24, 2004, 03:44 AM
soggyland
Joined Aug 2003
146 Posts
Yippee!
Ricky Carmichael dirt bike parts!

Had an interesting conversation with Dave at CNR yesterday about RC bikes in general, but mostly about the Radio Shack Ricky Carmichael dirt bike.

During this conversation Dave repeated several times that he is willing to produce some upgrade parts for this bike, IF there is enough demand for them, and he mentioned that it would be OK (with him) if I was to start a thread asking for people to express interest in upgrading the RC dirt bike.

So here is a chance for everyone that has a RC dirt bike to participate in helping CNR decide if it will be worthwhile to make parts for us

The make believe candy store is now open, so ask for any kind of upgrade you can think of, performance enhancing, bling bling, reliability, durability....... you name it.

Most important of all is that everyone post to this thread showing interest in having high quality upgrade parts that you would be in the market to purchase if they are ever made available , oh yea and spread the word to any other forums, BBs, news groups ....... you can think of where RC motorcycle enthusiasts exchange information.

Let's see if there is enough interest for Ricky to get a CNR factory ride!

That would be sweet!

see the cool parts Crazy Nut Racing makes for other vehicles here:

http://www.crazynutracing.com/
signats is offline Find More Posts by signats
Last edited by signats; Jan 28, 2004 at 09:44 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 24, 2004, 07:55 AM
Joined Dec 2003
34 Posts
Signats,

Sounds like a good idea!

I'm new to all this, and the RS bike is my first. If I make a stupid suggestion, keep this in mind. I haven't even driven it yet, due to the snow.

Items I'd be interested in:

Aluminum Swingarm
Fork replacement or upgrade parts
Rear shock upgrade
Chain drive & sprockets
Nitro conversion kit
Aluminum Triple clamp & Steering assy.
meangreenie is offline Find More Posts by meangreenie
Old Jan 24, 2004, 08:06 AM
Big thrills w/o hospital bills
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by meangreenie
Signats,

Sounds like a good idea!

I'm new to all this, and the RS bike is my first. If I make a stupid suggestion, keep this in mind. I haven't even driven it yet, due to the snow.

Aluminum Swingarm
Rear shock upgrade
Chain drive & sprockets
Nitro conversion kit
Hey meangreenie, you missed one crutial thing,... the wheels/rims!!!...

-shaun-
scaulfi is offline Find More Posts by scaulfi
Old Jan 24, 2004, 08:31 AM
Joined Dec 2003
34 Posts
Shaun,

Wheels crossed my mind, but I thought the rear wheel might be a problem, with the gyro?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 08:55 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,678 Posts
I know that Dave wont make a replacement shock but he can still make the wheels,... just the wheels, not the gyro part, all you need to do is swap the gyro over to the CNR wheels...! I know he'll do that bit...

-shaun-
Old Jan 24, 2004, 09:08 AM
Joined Dec 2003
34 Posts
Shaun,

Are you thinking spoke or mag wheels?
Old Jan 24, 2004, 09:35 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,678 Posts
Quote:
Shaun,

Are you thinking spoke or mag wheels?
Well i don't think Dave would make spoked rims, so i'd say mag,... here's a pic of some spoked ones though... The bike is owned by a guy from the Yahoo site, not bad though, i'd love to know where he got them or if he made them himself...!

-shaun-
Old Jan 24, 2004, 09:54 AM
I'm not totally useless..
Drunen. NL
Joined Sep 2003
407 Posts
Quote from the master (John Cole) itself from an email he once send me:

I machined the rims and hubs from solid chunks of 6061 aluminum and laced them with stainless steel music wire. I took a pair of T-maxx truck tires and cut them down to the width I wanted and glued them back together.
radical ron is offline Find More Posts by radical ron
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:09 AM
Brisbane, Australia
Joined Sep 2003
3,678 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by radical ron
Quote from the master (John Cole) itself from an email he once send me:

I machined the rims and hubs from solid chunks of 6061 aluminum and laced them with stainless steel music wire. I took a pair of T-maxx truck tires and cut them down to the width I wanted and glued them back together.
The mind boggles at the detail, how would you get buckels out of them like you can with real ones...???
Old Jan 24, 2004, 10:24 AM
Joined Dec 2003
34 Posts
That is a sweet looking bike! Great workmanship!
Old Jan 24, 2004, 11:58 AM
Grumpa Tom
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Sep 2003
22,848 Posts
Whatever Dave makes I will buy!
Kmot is offline Find More Posts by Kmot
Old Jan 24, 2004, 04:17 PM
soggyland
Joined Aug 2003
146 Posts
Quote:
Signats,

Sounds like a good idea!

Aluminum Swingarm
Rear shock upgrade
Chain drive & sprockets
Nitro conversion kit

This is my first RC bike too, but not my last, that's for sure! These things are too much fun!

That sucks about the snow, and I feel your pain, the rain here in Oregon is relentless right now. Maybe add some mini titanium ice spikes for the tires to your wish list!

Your wish list looks a lot like mine all performance, or durability enhancing parts

Right now I mainly want to convert to a chain drive system, Harleys and (some) choppers have belt drives, and are for street riding (mostly), I have never seen a full size dirt bike with a belt drive though.

With all the rain around here, my bike has been used on a lot of soft ground and even a little bit of mud, and the belt gears have both collected enough dirt/mud so that on several occasions stopping to clean them out was required.

That is not the only issue I have had with the belt though, mine started to skip, and I had to fabricate belt rollers, very similar to the chain rollers on a full size dirt bike, they do a fine job, the problem is not really the belt, it is the front plastic countershaft gear, the teeth are starting to round off, an aluminum front belt gear is something that I would love to see become available.

A chain would eliminate this completely, the problem with a chain drive is that the chain would no doubt stretch just like on a "real" bike and there is no way to adjust the slack, with the stock swing arm.

So a chain drive and Aluminum swing arm are on the top of my wish list.

There are many shock options for the rear suspension, adapting one of the readily available shocks from other RC vehicles is easy and cost effective.

The forks are really pretty good, just a little soft and undamped, there is a ton of potential in them and they are real easy to work on.

Bikes in general strike me as the most realistic platform of all the RC vehicles to run nitro on, can't wait to see someone make a nitro powered dirt bike

This is what I have done to my bike so far.

Broken list:

Handelbars- made new ones.

front fender- looks good all jagged like that! (mayby this should be considered a modification!)

Ricky- broke his head off, re-attached using zip ties.

Number plate- 1/2 gainer on asphalt will do that sometimes! doh!

Original stock motor- don't try to pry the pinion off

Wear and tear after about 50 runs @ about 10-12 min. each:

Countershaft gear and belt- Fabricated belt rollers/tensioners, OK for now, but will keep a close eye on it this may be self-inflicted due to my spur gear mod.?

Wore out one rear tire- sliding around on wet pavement is too much fun ! I finally had to grind off all the center knobs and make it into a Supermoto tire! (and a test bed for some of those 2.2 truck tire caps, or perhaps even 1/8 scale buggy tires )

Modifications:

Removed stock electronics and replaced them with good quality stuff I had laying around from 1/10 scale RC race cars and trucks, mostly because I refuse to use receiver packs, and the crappy TX unit.

Rear Shock- Losi front buggy shock, with the stock Radio Shack shock lower mount, and spring, using heavy diff. lube type oil.

Steering- heavy duty spring and changed the spring mounts to allow for running a direct link when/if ever I get around to trying it.

Crash Bars- 5/32 music wire bent to allow bike to lean over further.

Antenna tube- Longer for better range, and added fuel tubing and zip ties at the base to stop it from falling out, and an antenna cap.

Rear body mount- Added closed a cell foam block to support and stabilize the rear fender.

Radio tray- raised up the rear screw holes that hold it to the frame, this allows a bit more room before the rear tire smacks it.

Ricky/seat- velcro his butt to the seat.

Side panels- I cut them out sort of like Kmot did. Looks better than stock IMHO, and allows for easier removal and installation.

Battery box/cover- Hogged it out with Dremel to allow "side by side" batteries to fit in there even with the cover on.

Spur gear- glued the two peices together, making it quieter, however this may be contributing to the wear and tear on the belt and countershaft gear.

Front and Rear Wheels- removed bushings, added bearings, and added shims to front wheel to eliminate the side to side slop.

Front Forks- Removed internal springs, running Losi and/or Associated springs externally, with about a table spoon of medium weight gear diff. oil on the inside.

Frame- added mud flap in rear and splash protector in the front for running in sloppy conditions. Also I replaced nearly every screw and bolt on the bike with higher quality (mostly SS) fasteners.

Motor- still using the stock motor (from the parts bike) with an aftermarket pinion and heatsink. With good batteries the bike has decent power, which of course is never enough..........

Swing arm- modified it so that the shock can be removed with the swing arm still on the bike. Big, Big time saver when servicing the shock.

About the only thing that I haven't even tried to mess with is the gas cap, Hey why mess with perfection!

The weak point seems to be the handlebars, they break way too easy, too bad such a small part can bring the fun to a stop.

The bike has some very sweet performance and is overall much tougher than it looks at first glance. I am impressed with how well it has held up to the constant diet of abuse it has been fed.
Last edited by signats; Jan 25, 2004 at 02:29 AM.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 05:57 PM
soggyland
Joined Aug 2003
146 Posts
Good news, it looks like Radio Shack may be giving away handelbars!

check out the post at wild hobbies by VRF201 near the bottom of the page!

http://www.Wildhobbies.com/forum/top...72&whichpage=4

and other parts may be available soon! sweet!
Last edited by signats; Jan 24, 2004 at 05:59 PM.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 06:00 PM
Joined Dec 2003
34 Posts
Signats,

Thanks for all the info on your mods!

Hope your weather improves also. Had a friend from Oregon when I was in the Navy, and he sure loved your state!

I should probably get busy, and try a few mods myself. But I hate messing with anything new. With real bikes, I'm the same way, but once they've seen some abuse and/or a crash....I get deeper & deeper into the mods.
Old Jan 24, 2004, 06:04 PM
Joined Dec 2003
34 Posts
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out...are the bars new and improved?