Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:22 AM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Discussion
Airfield: FMS vs A-RC

So it's my understanding that the after the breakup between NP and FMS that the latest Airfield models are made by A-RC. Does anyone have a comparisson between the two or actually own both brands? Any information is awesome, I'm pretty curious on this.

Example a Airfield/FMS 1400mm T-28 V3 vs. the Airfield/A-RC 1450mm T-28?!?

http://www.fmsmodel.com/index.html
http://www.a-rcmodel.com
http://www.nitroplanes.com/aiwaarf.html
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 28, 2013, 07:55 AM
Most people are stupid!
dambit's Avatar
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,688 Posts
Airfield is simply a brand name that NP created. They just whack the stickers on whatever products they find. Just like Hobby King and their Durafly brand. Many factories making planes sold under one brand.
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:05 AM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
Airfield is simply a brand name that NP created. They just whack the stickers on whatever products they find. Just like Hobby King and their Durafly brand. Many factories making planes sold under one brand.
Yea I know that its rebranding. Im asking the difference between the Airfield manufacturers. For the longest Airfield has only been made by FMS. So what's the quality changes vs manufacturers.

Durafly is FMS.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:13 AM
Gentle 'Bella'
gnats82's Avatar
Augusta, KS USA
Joined Dec 2007
4,577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
Yea I know that. Im asking the difference between the airfield manufacturers.
A-RC has been active with a good number of models and has a good rep. especially with ducted fan airplanes. First venture into warbirds was the 1700mm P-40N which is sold exclusively by Hobby King. Marvelous airframe but crippled with some components that weren't up to the overall promise of such a nice airplane.

Andy Chen is the 'main man' there and was with Starmax until he spit off to do his own creations.

I don't have any of the Airfield branded planes but do have the H-K P-40N. I've read a few of the posts on the Airfield branded ones and from what I've seen, they're generally liked.
gnats82 is offline Find More Posts by gnats82
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 08:27 AM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gnats82 View Post
A-RC has been active with a good number of models and has a good rep. especially with ducted fan airplanes. First venture into warbirds was the 1700mm P-40N which is sold exclusively by Hobby King. Marvelous airframe but crippled with some components that weren't up to the overall promise of such a nice airplane.

Andy Chen is the 'main man' there and was with Starmax until he spit off to do his own creations.

I don't have any of the Airfield branded planes but do have the H-K P-40N. I've read a few of the posts on the Airfield branded ones and from what I've seen, they're generally liked.
I didn't know the HK-P40 was a-rc. Hood to know. My only dealing with Starmax was a F35 with TV which i didn't care for and couldn't source any parts for. I know HL is now dealing heavily with Starmax. I've been hearing good about the new Airfield a-rc planes. The old FMS ones rocked! I'm a FMS fan though.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:53 AM
Registered User
Durban South Africa
Joined Sep 2003
188 Posts
I have an ARC V2 P51 and onclose inspection it does seem to have differences to FMS version viz.

1. the cockpit is integrated into a top deck which give a much more scale appearance rather than the ploncked on top look especially front screen on the FMS
2. drop tanks are held on with magnets
3. pilot is different chap
4. flies beautifully no tip stalling I seem to read about FMS
5. Landing gear wheel style/pattern and mounting detail is different
6. aeilerons seem to be shorter although not sure.........

strange........
surflyer is offline Find More Posts by surflyer
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:56 AM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by surflyer View Post
I have an ARC V2 P51 and onclose inspection it does seem to have differences to FMS version viz.

1. the cockpit is integrated into a top deck which give a much more scale appearance rather than the ploncked on top look especially front screen on the FMS
2. drop tanks are held on with magnets
3. pilot is different chap
4. flies beautifully no tip stalling I seem to read about FMS
5. Landing gear wheel style/pattern and mounting detail is different
6. aeilerons seem to be shorter although not sure.........

strange........
Hey thanks! This is the stuff I was hoping to read about!
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:45 AM
Field of Dreams Flyer
Mikemynameis's Avatar
San Pedro,Ca
Joined Sep 2004
8,635 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel6401 View Post
Hey thanks! This is the stuff I was hoping to read about!
The P-51
The fuse has a more scale outline then FMS. The wheels are bigger. Dosent have functioning struts. Has no sliding canopy but has a opening and closing rear scoop .
The Nav lights blick instead of being steady.

The Corsair that NP sells has a retractable tailwheel that the FMS doesnt have. Seams like A-RC is watching FMS and doing things better
Mikemynameis is offline Find More Posts by Mikemynameis
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:58 AM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
Seams like A-RC is watching FMS and doing things better

Wow!
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:02 PM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
The P-51
The fuse has a more scale outline then FMS. The wheels are bigger. Dosent have functioning struts. Has no sliding canopy but has a opening and closing rear scoop .
The Nav lights blick instead of being steady.

The Corsair that NP sells has a retractable tailwheel that the FMS doesnt have. Seams like A-RC is watching FMS and doing things better
Is the motor mount different then the FMS? More accepting to other motors w/o needing the 3rd party adjustable mount?
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:13 PM
Registered User
United States, MO, Kingsville
Joined Nov 2001
1,593 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemynameis View Post
The P-51
The fuse has a more scale outline then FMS. The wheels are bigger. Dosent have functioning struts. Has no sliding canopy but has a opening and closing rear scoop .
The Nav lights blick instead of being steady.

The Corsair that NP sells has a retractable tailwheel that the FMS doesnt have. Seams like A-RC is watching FMS and doing things better
I have become a bit of an FMS fanboy...almost makes me sick. I don't think it is quite equal looking at the A-RC Corsair and the FMS Corsair....Fms has been out quite a while.....I think that the new FMS mustang would be on par with the ARC corsair....and both are about the same.....I would bet that after a update the FMS corsair would have the same features the ARC has.

All that said I am really torn on the Zero from both companies....so many great reviews from the FMS people....but not much on the ARC/airfield....Does not matter I blew my airplane budget on some old FMS stock that nitroplanes had....now I need to get some electric parts together. They sold the P40 with the retracts (kit now) for $80.....darn good deal.
cherokee is offline Find More Posts by cherokee
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:54 PM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokee View Post
I have become a bit of an FMS fanboy...almost makes me sick. I don't think it is quite equal looking at the A-RC Corsair and the FMS Corsair....Fms has been out quite a while.....I think that the new FMS mustang would be on par with the ARC corsair....and both are about the same.....I would bet that after a update the FMS corsair would have the same features the ARC has.

All that said I am really torn on the Zero from both companies....so many great reviews from the FMS people....but not much on the ARC/airfield....Does not matter I blew my airplane budget on some old FMS stock that nitroplanes had....now I need to get some electric parts together. They sold the P40 with the retracts (kit now) for $80.....darn good deal.
I was looking at that Zero also and subscribed to the 1400mm FMS thread. Torn also. I may end up with the 800mm. I really want a Zeke in my fleet.

I seen the sale and that P40 had me tempted for sure. I do have a spare BigFoot 32 770kv laying around.
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 10:19 PM
When in doubt, gas it!
dstewart51's Avatar
United States, CA, Lake Hughes
Joined Jan 2013
488 Posts
I have both the new A-RC T-28 and the FMS v3 FMS T-28. There are pros and cons for both.

The A-RC had a stiffer plywood servo mount for the elevator and rudder.

A-RC has a stiffer motor mount as well, but less room for a longer motor.

The FMS has slow speed flap servos, A-RC full speed (but I control the speed with my A9)

No working cowl flaps on the A-RC, not really a big deal.

The A-RC uses servos for the gear doors where the v3 FMS uses a wire spring (I like the wire spring).

The A-RC nose cowl is foam where the FMS is molded plastic.

The A-RC comes with a nicer prop hub but the 15" prop (14" for FMS) is too close to the ground. Almost no clearance at all.

The over all fit and finish and durability of the paint and decals goes to the v3 FMS.

The big thing for me was the availability of parts. Hands down the FMS wins here.

The both fly well, but would give the edge to the A-RC, it was a bit more nose heavy with the battery positioned more forward.

I kind of like the A-RC pilot a bit more over the duel FMS pilots, but the FMS canopy is clearer.

I bought the A-RC first and if it wasn't such a PITA to get parts for it from Nitro Planes (the ONLY place to by A-RC parts) I may have bought a second one. I'm very glad I picked up the FMS from MotionRC. Parts for the FMS can be found much more easily and the guys at MotionRC are the best. I try to avoid Nitro and Bannana anymore.
dstewart51 is offline Find More Posts by dstewart51
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by dstewart51; Jun 28, 2013 at 10:36 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2013, 11:05 PM
Memento Mori
Diesel6401's Avatar
United States, NC, Charlotte
Joined Sep 2009
2,969 Posts
Dstewart51 great write up for sure! Parts from NP is always a downfall/issue. I LOVE dealing with MotionRC and both my LHS has just started carrying FMS parts. Thanks for such a detailed breakdown :thumbup:
Diesel6401 is online now Find More Posts by Diesel6401
Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2013, 04:57 AM
Registered User
Canada, BC, Port Coquitlam
Joined Apr 2012
1,168 Posts
FMS has greatly improved its market image by partnering up with MotionRC and Diamond Hobby. Too bad, Bananahobby could have had FMS all to itself but dropped the ball.

From what I have heard, Motion RC is the on-line FMS retailer while Diamond is the FMS hobby shop distributor. Between these two big FMS US importers, they bring in several containers per month worth of planes and parts. Having these two major importers assures the US market of a steady supply of parts and planes.
FMS is going after a bigger slice of the pie and signing up Motion and Diamond guarantees FMS presence on line and in brick and mortar stores.

Another thing, FMS the company, truly cares about its reputation so has raised the bar as far as customer service is concerned. It is committed to support its fan base through its importers.
easyrider604 is offline Find More Posts by easyrider604
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Airfield G-Kemy vs. FMS Cessna 182 P-51 flyby Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 22 Aug 31, 2013 05:40 PM
Sold FMS / Airfield F4U Corsair Foam RC Airplane Model PittSpecial Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 May 27, 2012 04:18 PM
Discussion Airfield RC F-35 vs Blitz RC F-35? ZeroRaven Foamies (Kits) 7 Dec 28, 2010 10:54 AM
Sold NitroPlanes Airfield RC/FMS 800mm Corsair Reciever Ready $80.00 Shipped Mikemynameis Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Aug 14, 2010 03:18 PM
Sold NitroPlanes Airfield RC/FMS 800mm Corsair Reciever Ready $100.00 Shipped Mikemynameis Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Aug 09, 2010 11:40 AM