Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio

XG14 DMSS System - JR Americas

True 14 Channels, JR’s finest gimbals ever, and an unbelievably affordable price, the new JR XG14 a great choice in a Professional Class System.

Splash

JR - JRP00631 - XG14 14ch DMSS System w/RG731BX X-Buss Rx

Based from the proven XG8, the new XG14 takes JR performance and value to the next level.

True 14 channels:

While other large channel systems only offer 10 or less “non-shared” channels and achieve the additional channels through “sharing” (splitting update rates between channels to expand) or expansion, JR’s XG14 is a true “non-shared”, full 14 channel system.

In addition, thanks to JR’s creative programming and DMSS sophistication, the XG14’s 14 channels can be accessed through the use of 2 JR RG731BX X Buss receivers, creating not only true 14 channel access, but a redundant airborne system as well.

JR’s Finest Gimbals Ever:

Based on our Premium Gimbals found only in the Flagship 12X Professional systems, our newCNCMachined Premium Aluminum Gimbal Base provides the ultimate in precision feel, with no flexing during quick and full stick extremes as found with standard plastic gimbals. JR’s new Premium Gimbals withCNCBase will truly have you “feeling the difference”.

Other Standard XG14 Features

Using specifically developed JR® DMSS* technology, the all-new XG14 radio system provides a reliable 2.4GHz radio link with the ability to control popular model types within the airplane, helicopter or glider categories. In addition, the XG14 offers an Intelligent Output System for enhanced control accuracy and advanced telemetry functions to display critical flight data when you need it most.

Programming is easy thanks to the well-proven, intuitive user interface with data entered using the familiar scroll bar and four push-button entry keys. The programming information is clearly displayed on the large, graphical back lit screen.

Dual Modulation Spectrum System (DMSS) 2.4GHz protocol offers a secure radio link that combines DSSS and FHSS capabilities into a wideband transmission system and includes high-speed response and high resistance against RF noise. One benefit of DMSS* is the JR Intelligent Output System (IOS), which automatically selects control signals that need to be transmitted at exactly the same time and delivers the data as one complete signal frame. IOS ensures there is no time delay when commanding servos used for critical functions, such as a CCPM swashplate on a helicopter, or when operating a wing control surface with multiple servos.

Another feature of DMSS is its bi-directional communication that supplies telemetry information. Receiver voltage telemetry is built in as standard in every DMSS receiver, and add-on sensors will give you real time feedback of information from your model, such as theRPMof an aircraft propeller or helicopter rotor blades, temperature and variometer/altimeter readings.

No matter what kind of airplane, helicopter or glider you fly, the XG14 will truly have you “feeling the difference” that only a genuine JR system can offer.

Features JR - JRP00631 - XG14 14ch DMSS System w/RG731BX X-Buss Rx

• Large, backlit screen
  • 30-model internal memory
  • Airplane, helicopter and glider program options
  • Premium Grade gimbals withCNCmachined aluminum bases
  • True, non shared 14 Channel access
  • SD card slot for data sharing, storage and updates (SD card required)
  • Li-Fe 6.4V, 1400mAh 2S transmitter battery pack
  • Integrated charging circuit
  • 9V AC/DC adapter supplied with automatic shutdown
  • Lightweight (820 g) transmitter design
  • Easily adapts to stick modes 1–4
  • Data entry via scroll bar and four push-button keys
  • Telemetry with receiver voltage sensor built in
  • Optional telemetry sensors available
  • Stick tension and spring adjustment
  • Dual trim options
  • Dual side slide-lever controls
  • Touch Select System for switch selection
  • New soft switch covers for improved feel and control
  • User-selected menu for frequently used functions
  • 8-channel failsafe
  • User-assigned switch function
  • Programmable throttle cut
  • Two independent programmable timers

Learn more at JR Americas.

Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2013, 04:27 PM
so. cal.
Joined Jan 2006
2,648 Posts
Probably my next radio, my 12X is great but time marches on.
s2000 is offline Find More Posts by s2000
Old Jun 28, 2013, 12:33 AM
high-speed freak
San Jose, CA
Joined Sep 2001
3,863 Posts
For me, no DSM/DSMX backwards compatibility, no sale. They've conceded too much of the market to mid-level market to Spektrum transmitters by killing this compatibility.
opualuan is offline Find More Posts by opualuan
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:30 AM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
679 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by opualuan View Post
For me, no DSM/DSMX backwards compatibility, no sale. They've conceded too much of the market to mid-level market to Spektrum transmitters by killing this compatibility.
The fact that it's completely different from DSM2/X is the best feature IMHO.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:16 AM
King Of Prussia, Pennsylvania, United States
Joined Sep 2001
223 Posts
The miss here is that you need a bridge to help with the change. I have a huge fleet of planes with DSM2/DSMX technology. Switching out every RX is not something I want to do. Heck, reprogramming the radio is a nightmare. JR should really think about creating an upgrade path that allows you to do a smooth transition.

If I have to do a total switch, I'm looking at other systems also....
bitzerj is offline Find More Posts by bitzerj
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:44 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
United States, CT, Stafford
Joined Oct 2011
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
The fact that it's completely different from DSM2/X is the best feature IMHO.
My thoughts precisely...
DJO is online now Find More Posts by DJO
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 28, 2013, 02:26 PM
Israel
Joined May 2006
262 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djo View Post
my thoughts precisely...
+1.
So when will they be in stock
3D-Novice is offline Find More Posts by 3D-Novice
Last edited by 3D-Novice; Jun 28, 2013 at 02:32 PM.
Old Jun 28, 2013, 04:12 PM
Old and grumpy
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Aug 2010
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bitzerj View Post
DSM2/DSMX technology. Switching out every RX is not something I want to do. JR should really think about creating an upgrade path that allows you to do a smooth transition.

If I have to do a total switch, I'm looking at other systems also....
get the 11x zero it comes with a dmss & dms2 modules best of both worlds
SIRCOL is offline Find More Posts by SIRCOL
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:20 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined May 2003
524 Posts
no new news here

what is the objective of this post? there isn't any new news here
Hoot is online now Find More Posts by Hoot
Old Jun 28, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined May 2004
537 Posts
I don't quite understand why JR took everything over, except service, from Horizon. I even watched the YouTube video where they explained it, and it still makes no sense. Just muddies the waters, plus the JR Americas website sux. Kinda reminds me of Comcast and Xfinity. Who's on first? And do you need satellite receivers, er, telemetry modules or can you just fly with the whisker antenna?
Sit-N-Fly is online now Find More Posts by Sit-N-Fly
Old Jun 28, 2013, 06:15 PM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
971 Posts
It's funny but I'm still not sure why some people think DMSS is such an upgrade to DSMX? They are actually very similar systems except DMSS isn't backwards compatible with DSM2. I wanted a JR radio really bad (I even bought the JR "feel the difference" ball cap in anticipation of purchasing a new JR transmitter as an upgrade from my Spektrum DX7). However, when JR decided to go with a new RF that wouldn't work with DSM2 I had to forget about it since I already had 10 DSM2 receivers and I wasn't about to replace them all just for the "brand prestige" of owning a JR radio. It's amazing how powerful a thing perception/brand loyalty can be.

All that said, the XG14 looks like an awesome new transmitter. I'm sure those who get one won't be disappointed. If I hadn't already had so many Spektrum receivers I may well have bought one myself.
Warbirds Rule is offline Find More Posts by Warbirds Rule
Old Jun 28, 2013, 09:34 PM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbirds Rule View Post
It's funny but I'm still not sure why some people think DMSS is such an upgrade to DSMX? They are actually very similar systems except DMSS isn't backwards compatible with DSM2. I wanted a JR radio really bad (I even bought the JR "feel the difference" ball cap in anticipation of purchasing a new JR transmitter as an upgrade from my Spektrum DX7). However, when JR decided to go with a new RF that wouldn't work with DSM2 I had to forget about it since I already had 10 DSM2 receivers and I wasn't about to replace them all just for the "brand prestige" of owning a JR radio. It's amazing how powerful a thing perception/brand loyalty can be.

All that said, the XG14 looks like an awesome new transmitter. I'm sure those who get one won't be disappointed. If I hadn't already had so many Spektrum receivers I may well have bought one myself.
DMSS is definitely an upgrade to DSMX and DSM2 especially, and there's nothing funny about it, really... I have a XG6 (JR DMSS) coming in the mail right now, so I personally haven't flight tested it. But from what I've heard, it's got fast response speed and even the park flyer RXs are rock solid at range.

I guess if you're already on DSM2 then yeah, paying $60 to $100 for each RX to switch over 10 planes would be dumb. But if you start with DMSS, you can upgrade your radio over the years and stick with a solid, proven link. I'm going to test DMSS soon, I can't wait to see how it is, I personally have used DSM2 and DSMX, as well as Futaba's FASST and would like to see how it compares to them, in particular.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2013, 07:56 AM
Leesburg, VA
Joined Jun 2006
971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJO View Post
DMSS is definitely an upgrade to DSMX and DSM2 especially, and there's nothing funny about it, really... I have a XG6 (JR DMSS) coming in the mail right now, so I personally haven't flight tested it. But from what I've heard, it's got fast response speed and even the park flyer RXs are rock solid at range.

I guess if you're already on DSM2 then yeah, paying $60 to $100 for each RX to switch over 10 planes would be dumb. But if you start with DMSS, you can upgrade your radio over the years and stick with a solid, proven link. I'm going to test DMSS soon, I can't wait to see how it is, I personally have used DSM2 and DSMX, as well as Futaba's FASST and would like to see how it compares to them, in particular.

Dan
How fast is the response time? DSMX and Futaba FASST are already faster than any human can perceive? As far as range for parkflyers goes, even on DSM2 I have a rock solid link with parkflyer receivers for as far as I can possibly see them. Most aren't going to be flying a 30" wingspan plane at a 1 mile range. I'm not trying to be a pain asking so many questions I'm just trying to understand what JR has brought to the game that is so superior to DSMX. I know they've chosen to include telemetry with the receiver as opposed to Spektrum's separate telemetry module approach so in that way it's different but I'm not sure I'd say better. Again, maybe there's an advantage to the JR that I'm not aware of and if that's the case I'd definitely like to learn more. I agree with you though, if I didn't have so many receivers from another system and were in the market for a new transmitter the XG14 would definitely be in the running.
Warbirds Rule is offline Find More Posts by Warbirds Rule
Old Jun 29, 2013, 09:36 AM
DJO
Custom FPV Setups
Joined Oct 2011
3,522 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warbirds Rule View Post
How fast is the response time? DSMX and Futaba FASST are already faster than any human can perceive? As far as range for parkflyers goes, even on DSM2 I have a rock solid link with parkflyer receivers for as far as I can possibly see them. Most aren't going to be flying a 30" wingspan plane at a 1 mile range. I'm not trying to be a pain asking so many questions I'm just trying to understand what JR has brought to the game that is so superior to DSMX. I know they've chosen to include telemetry with the receiver as opposed to Spektrum's separate telemetry module approach so in that way it's different but I'm not sure I'd say better. Again, maybe there's an advantage to the JR that I'm not aware of and if that's the case I'd definitely like to learn more. I agree with you though, if I didn't have so many receivers from another system and were in the market for a new transmitter the XG14 would definitely be in the running.
DSMX can possibly do 11ms (but mainly 22ms), Futaba is 6ms. I used to think the same, that it was impossible to tell, until I went for FASST, trust me it definitely is noticeable. I'm not 100% positive on the ms response speed of DMSS, but I heard it was in between the two above, something around there.

DSM2 sucks for a lot of people though... there are many that believe in it, but I only used it for stuff that I flew close. There are many, many people who have issues on DSM2. DSMX less so, but the issues are still there. I had a full lockout only 200-250 feet from where I was standing on DSM2... very sad IMHO. DSMX was better but still made me uneasy. You'd also be surprised how many people are using Spektrum for FPV these days, even though it isn't recommended, I few out an AR400 on a PopWing out to 1/2 mile... err, not even a half mile, started getting glitches at about 2000 feet. Not to say that DMSS is going to get somebody 3 miles of range

I wouldn't say that JR has already dominated Spektrum over now, I mean, there's very little information about DMSS on the web right now, and I haven't heard many people immediately switching over to DMSS. As more and more people use it I guess, this will start happening most likely though.

Dan
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 29, 2013, 12:49 PM
United States, AZ, Chandler
Joined Jan 2011
394 Posts
There is more to latency than just the frame rate--it has multiple factors including the internal processing speed of the transmitter. I think the following provides a good overview of the elements that stack up to get the overall latency and would impact the "connected" feeling: http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/what_is_latency.shtml

This video from Microsoft gives a good visualization of the effects of latency:
Applied Sciences Group: High Performance Touch (3 min 23 sec)

What I like about DMSS is that it is designed with head room for the future--the advantage of a new protocol/system. Here are the factors by which I make that statement:
  1. Low latency design (multiple factors, including the microprocessors used)
  2. Higher data rates (including on telemetry)
  3. High resolution (4096)
  4. High channel count support available (full resolution) built into protocol--native, rather than tricks other brands are pulling. You will see that the XG14 is the first demonstration of this.
  5. Telemetry designed as part of the system up front and included in all receivers...not adapted later. For example, I don't need to do a separate binding procedure to enable telemetry.
  6. Telemetry sensors connect by serial bus (doesn't require separate module to plug sensors into)
  7. Has model match (model link is JR's name for it) capability. On my XG11 I can choose to turn it off for the model numbers of my choice, providing the best of both worlds.
  8. Fail-safe is supported on all the receivers--don't need to buy higher-end receivers to get fail-safe.
  9. The full-range receivers have three-way receiver and antenna diversity. There are two in the receiver body and a third in the telemetry module. I install in my planes covering X, Y, and Z axis. If you take this into account as well as the included telemetry, the receivers are competitively priced to the major brands.
  10. JR has recently announced a new serial bus connection (X-BUS) which allows multiple receivers to be connected to increase the channel count and provide addtional redundancy. I don't know if the intent is to be the equivalent of S-BUS in terms of connection to future JR servos.

Additional DMSS info you may find interesting...
This will give you you a look of the innards of a DMSS radio system (XG8 in this case): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOvPl3Qs268

Finally, a detailed analysis of the DMSS RF signal:
http://www.archeli.com.au/forums/sho...d.php?t=153157

Enjoy!

-Randy
Westranm is offline Find More Posts by Westranm
Last edited by Westranm; Jun 29, 2013 at 12:54 PM.