SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio

TrueRC 5.8GHz Crosshair Antenna

The 5.8GHz crosshair has the gain of a helical with a wider beamwidth

Splash

3km on 5.8 all day.

One of only a few dedicated FPV antenna designers, Hugo at TrueRC has finally come up with a commercial 5.8GHz crosshair antenna. With the gain of a helical antenna but with a wider beamwidth, the 5.8GHz crosshair is perfect for mounting on a pair of Fatshark goggles, or on a receiver with no antenna tracker. The antenna can be bent by applying a little heat to the plastic tube, which gets rid of those decibel robbing 90-degree adapters.

Specifications:

• Price: $75
  • Gain: 10 dbic
  • SWR: 1.2:1
  • Axial ratio: 0.9 and up.
  • Beamwidth: 120deg.
  • Beamwidth @-3db: 68deg
  • Each unit is tested on professional antennas tester (agilent) for SWR, gain and circularity.
  • Proudly designed and built in a basement of Canada.

Product link

Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jun 26, 2013 at 11:47 PM..

Discussion

Old Jun 27, 2013, 09:45 AM
Blacked out 350z - Texas
Joined Nov 2012
1,838 Posts
Looks nice. If I still flew 5.8 I would def look into this more.
Wrice4 is offline Find More Posts by Wrice4
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:02 AM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
I have been using one for over 6 weeks on my Dominators with TBS 5.8 Rx flying a Walkera Ladybird V2 with a cloverleaf and this combo will let you fly behind some trees. Ask me how I know.

Note the antenna is SMA but most goggles and Rx's are RP-SMA, so you end up having to use an adaptor regardless....
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:09 AM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,186 Posts
See Hugo's response below...
Matt Gunn is offline Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Matt Gunn; Jun 27, 2013 at 10:45 AM.
Old Jun 27, 2013, 10:21 AM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Note the antenna is SMA but most goggles and Rx's are RP-SMA, so you end up having to use an adaptor regardless....
All fatshark's are SMA and all immersionRC's are SMA too, only RP-SMA google that I know are the AIO? That being said, it is on my to do list to make RP-SMA 5.8 X-hair...

-Hugo
Hugeone is online now Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Jun 27, 2013, 12:31 PM
Eyes on the Prize
Australia, WA, Swan View
Joined Oct 2012
81 Posts
120' bead width...

Tempting. Tempting...
Strangely_Calm is offline Find More Posts by Strangely_Calm
Old Jun 27, 2013, 05:21 PM
Joined Sep 2001
6,190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeone View Post
All fatshark's are SMA and all immersionRC's are SMA too, only RP-SMA google that I know are the AIO? That being said, it is on my to do list to make RP-SMA 5.8 X-hair...

-Hugo
Thanks Hugo. I use the Team Black Sheep 5.8ghz Dominator Rx module and it is RP-SMA, so I had to use an RP-SMA to SMA adaptor in order to use your crosshair I purchased from RMRC. As far as I know the RC305 Rx everyone uses is RP-SMA as well....
cactus is offline Find More Posts by cactus
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:58 AM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
USA
Joined May 2010
4,821 Posts
Any more reviews of this Wonderful small 5.8ghz Cross Hair antenna mounted on FatShark Dominators using the 5.8ghz built in VidRX nexWave Module.

My 1.3ghz Bulky GroundSTation Tripod is too cumbersome.....
rclab1 is offline Find More Posts by rclab1
Last edited by rclab1; Aug 11, 2013 at 01:11 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:06 PM
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Joined Sep 2002
2,925 Posts
I am using this on my Attitude SD goggles with a Fatshark 250mw transmitter and Spironet cloverleaf in the air. 72mhz RC link.

2-3 times the range of the Spironet skew planar wheel when flying two consecutive flights over the same terrain 15 minutes apart. In my "noisy" flying environment this means 1.5kms easily, up to 2kms depending on the day. The Arkbird keeps me situationally aware, so I can easily aim the antenna with my head position. This antenna is a little more picky up close when you are rapidly moving all around yourself. When further out you need to be a little more precise with your "aim", but this is very easy to do. I would really like to try my setup someplace quiet and see what kind of range I get!

I am using a 1000uF capacitor across the Tx power-out to the camera, and ferrite rings all over the place to keep video and RF interference under control ... and they were definitely needed. Prior to these additions I had occasional RF glitching at 200 meters and diagonal banding in the video all the time.

Caveat: I've only been flying FPV a few months, but have done tons of reading (here and fpvlab) to know the key issues associated with the quality of the video and RC links.

Bottom Line: definitely worth the cost. Nice upgrade from a Spironet tx antenna.

tn
Thomas Nelson is offline Find More Posts by Thomas Nelson
Last edited by Thomas Nelson; Aug 13, 2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:36 AM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,206 Posts
Wow

Very cool looking antenna, $75.00 really. I have a IBCRAZY Black Cannon for 5.8 best distance clear LOS to quad 1.2 miles, from a bluff about 100ft up looking down and out towards the quad. The Black Canon is mounted on a Skylark AAT IV and was locked onto the quads signal. Quad has ImmersionRC 600 mW VTX and Fatshark RHCP done antenna.

I will be trying a new ImmersionRC RHCP SpiroNet 5.8GHz Patch Antenna tomorrow. This morning I moved my quad 5.8 antenna to the top board of the F450, pointing up, from it's previous location at the end of one of the arms, facing down. There maybe some issues with the 2.4 RX or Naza GPS as they are both close to the 5.8 mHz antenna now. I'm counting on the radiation pattern to be more mushroom shaped facing up now.

Being in Southern California in a highly populated area, I'm sure the range is being effected by al sorts of electronics in the area.

Interestingly my 2.4 gHz control link system fails at about the same distance. I have a Spektrum 8000X RX on Board and a 12.5 db Omni for the ground station TX antenna. You could say thats a good match, and it is. I just want more distance.

It seems all the options, RF Bands wise, have their own issues. Is there anyone out there having success with 5.8/2.4 combo in congested areas? If so can you PM me so I can pick your brain.

HD
hoggdoc is offline Find More Posts by hoggdoc
Old Aug 14, 2013, 10:51 PM
Engineer for Christ
Amherst, VA
Joined Jun 2006
10,571 Posts
^Hugo's Crosshair is better than my Black Cannon if you have a tracker.

Also, you're using a really bad control antenna. I can go well past 2 miles on Spektrum with only 8db on the transmitter. Mind you, it takes a little knowledge about how to set everything up properly to make it work.

-Alex
IBCrazy is offline Find More Posts by IBCrazy
Old Aug 15, 2013, 10:53 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Mar 2013
554 Posts
Hi Alex
are the 5.8 crosshairs just too hard to build for you to do a DIY version like you have done so well for us before.

PM sent as well.

Thanks Mark
racermark is offline Find More Posts by racermark
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2013, 09:59 PM
Canada,Quebec
Joined Jan 2005
2,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus View Post
Thanks Hugo. I use the Team Black Sheep 5.8ghz Dominator Rx module and it is RP-SMA, so I had to use an RP-SMA to SMA adaptor in order to use your crosshair I purchased from RMRC. As far as I know the RC305 Rx everyone uses is RP-SMA as well....
RP-SMA 5.8 crosshair in-stock @RMRC!

-Hugo
Hugeone is online now Find More Posts by Hugeone
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2013
10 Posts
Expected range

Hi,
Two questions:

1. what is the max range can I expect with an ImmersionRC 600mw tx, fatshark spironet tx antenna and your crosshair rx antenna?

(I'm flying a bixler 2 epo plane, and using the built in receiver in the Fatshark predator v2 goggles)

2. How much does the reception degrade when the antenna is not pointing towards the plane. Can I assume it will work at a range of about 100m in any direction?

I realize there are a lot of unknown dependencies and you cannot give me an exact answer. I'm just looking for some ballpark figures.

Thanks!
gulbrandsen is offline Find More Posts by gulbrandsen
Old Sep 18, 2013, 05:51 PM
United States, CA, Huntington Beach
Joined Jan 2013
1,206 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gulbrandsen View Post
Hi,
Two questions:

1. what is the max range can I expect with an ImmersionRC 600mw tx, fatshark spironet tx antenna and your crosshair rx antenna?

(I'm flying a bixler 2 epo plane, and using the built in receiver in the Fatshark predator v2 goggles)

2. How much does the reception degrade when the antenna is not pointing towards the plane. Can I assume it will work at a range of about 100m in any direction?

I realize there are a lot of unknown dependencies and you cannot give me an exact answer. I'm just looking for some ballpark figures.

Thanks!

Based on my experiences you can expect no more than 1.3 miles, and thats with a tracker, gain antenna on both end and direct LOS looking down.

HD
hoggdoc is offline Find More Posts by hoggdoc