HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 26, 2013, 10:17 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,374 Posts
Discussion
Hummer Brushless Gimbal

I saw this on youtube - is anyone using it or have any comments about it? Seems to be very lightweight and should fit the DJI Phantom.

It has very low weight, only 146gr and includes the AV in&out wires for the Gopro3.
Here: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/hummer-bru...o3-p-1081.html

More info:

- comes as RTR (Ready To Run)
- Adopts 2mm thickness 3K carbon fiber plate
- gravity adjustable in 3 directions
- with AV output ports and cable
- free gopro 3 video output cable and camera power cable
- Assembled and debugged
tritan is offline Find More Posts by tritan
Last edited by tritan; Jun 30, 2013 at 03:46 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 30, 2013, 03:16 AM
Joined Apr 2007
1,374 Posts
Ok, so I just bought the Hummer gimbal. Since I started this thread suddenly all of the Hummer gimbal was sold at foxtechfpv.

Here some data:
Weight:146g
Dimension:98mm(W)x95mm(L)x88mm(H)
Voltage:12V

Hummer brushless gimbal is a small brushless gimbal for Gopro 3.
It features instant use, direct DJI phantom compatibility and light weight.
This gimbal can make your Gopro video extremely stable and is able to do face-down shot.
Apart from the above, tilt and roll RC control is also available by using two channels on your radio. Itís also supplied with Avin&out wires directly compatible with Gopro and standard VTX.

It has a Martinez board and can use the alexmos firmware, I think mine will have 1.31 when it arrives.

Links to Youtube:

Hummer Brushless gimbal introduction (4 min 8 sec)

Mikrokopter Hexa XL: Hummer Brushless Gimbal Stability Test (GREAT!!!) (6 min 35 sec)

Mikrokopter Hexa XL; Gopro Hero 3 Black; Hummer Brushless Gimbal (8 min 46 sec)

On this video below it seems as he has an older firmware - the newer one is 8kHz but better stabilization and is supposed to also to be able to be tilted straight down:
GoPro 3 Brushless Gimbal (7 min 23 sec)
Old Jul 01, 2013, 04:26 AM
Joined Mar 2011
192 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tritan View Post
Ok, so I just bought the Hummer gimbal. Since I started this thread suddenly all of the Hummer gimbal was sold at foxtechfpv.

Here some data:
Weight:146g
Dimension:98mm(W)x95mm(L)x88mm(H)
Voltage:12V

Hummer brushless gimbal is a small brushless gimbal for Gopro 3.
It features instant use, direct DJI phantom compatibility and light weight.
This gimbal can make your Gopro video extremely stable and is able to do face-down shot.
Apart from the above, tilt and roll RC control is also available by using two channels on your radio. Itís also supplied with Avin&out wires directly compatible with Gopro and standard VTX.

It has a Martinez board and can use the alexmos firmware, I think mine will have 1.31 when it arrives.

Links to Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss-A7wqX0T8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BHJorewhDdo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BhAN7XuopUk

On this video below it seems as he has an older firmware - the newer one is 8kHz but better stabilization and is supposed to also to be able to be tilted straight down:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ri-pHu2JegA
When you get your hummer gimbal please keep us posted. Does it come pre assembled ? Any software issues, setup ! etc... Pics or video would be great. I'm curious on how those rubber bands work and if you have to use them.

I'm really changing my mind on the Arris gimbal and not going to get one, to to many problems, they don't work or might work once than don't work again, just not worth it.

Thanks
Lenny7118 is offline Find More Posts by Lenny7118
Old Jul 01, 2013, 10:42 AM
DWA
John 3:16
South Orange County,CA.
Joined Dec 2004
9,416 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7118 View Post
When you get your hummer gimbal please keep us posted.
Thanks
+1 looks like a good gimbal.

Dave
DWA is offline Find More Posts by DWA
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 01, 2013, 10:53 AM
Indonesia, Jakarta
Joined Sep 2012
462 Posts
it's a good gimbal , i tried it my self . but i notice that the gimbal tend to drift it's level. need to increase the Power? and i noticed that the motor squealing in high pitch, a Alexmos gimbal?

and i also tested the Tarot gimbal, for the looks, the Tarot win IMHO . looks like the zenmuse Copy hahaha. very simple and neat design. but i haven't put it in flight yet
WonderKing is offline Find More Posts by WonderKing
Old Jul 01, 2013, 12:45 PM
United States, CA, Baldwin Park
Joined Jun 2004
1,964 Posts
I have this gimbal. Actually the last video is me Mines came with the open source firmware so it was on 32khz. Very quite. It works great however they now come with the hacked Alexmos firmware to run on the Martinez board. The Alexmos firmware does work way better than the open source FW but you will be stuck with using 1.3. You will not be able to use the newer 2.0 unless your really good with hacking programs

But overall it's a really good gimbal. It's not the best looking one, but for it's lightweight and size I like it. from my testings with some brushless gimbals the Hummer gimbal out performs the others. I'm guessing the lightweight and smaller motors plays a role
TonyTypeS is offline Find More Posts by TonyTypeS
Old Jul 01, 2013, 12:52 PM
Joined Apr 2007
1,374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenny7118 View Post
When you get your hummer gimbal please keep us posted. Does it come pre assembled ? Any software issues, setup ! etc... Pics or video would be great. I'm curious on how those rubber bands work and if you have to use them.

I'm really changing my mind on the Arris gimbal and not going to get one, to to many problems, they don't work or might work once than don't work again, just not worth it.

Thanks
Yes it comes preassembled and ready to run out of the box. It is the lightest gopro3 gimbal I have found and I always strive to build my multis with lowest possible weight. Low weight = performance & long flight times.

As soon as I get ti I will test it and report here.
Old Jul 13, 2013, 11:07 AM
Lost in the wind
United States, KS, Overland Park
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
@Tritan,

Can you help me identify why my hummer goes into a roll, when I yaw the aircraft.

See video below: skip to 3:00 to pass all the power on/trim video part. You will see that when I move the f550, it rolls.

Brushless Gimbal Roll (4 min 6 sec)

Thanks for any input.

KS
ksrimoungchanh is offline Find More Posts by ksrimoungchanh
Old Jul 14, 2013, 11:37 AM
Lost in the wind
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
update: Kevin got back to me and we made progress.. looks like it was just recalibrating my Gyros...

Since it was "plug and play" I was hesitant to try to alter it anyway, but mine must have just been off.

Kevin was very support and quick to help.. even offered for me to send it back.

Kudos! for post-sale support.

KS
Old Aug 01, 2013, 03:50 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Jul 2013
13 Posts
Please help!

I have a new brushless gimbal w/ martinez board, but it start malfunctioning.
Blue light comes on, but it just hangs limp now.

Plugged everything in, and everything was working before.

As far as open source. I only have a mac and I don't know the process of how to work on it that way.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
luv2serf4eva is offline Find More Posts by luv2serf4eva
Old Aug 03, 2013, 01:20 PM
Joined Oct 2012
13 Posts
I also bought this gimbal. It is not working and i do get no support from foxtechfpv. when it starts everything is fine, but when the copter moves it looses its level an often remains in a 20į angular position on roll axis. Which software do i use to recalibrate it?

thanks for your help.
Utezet is offline Find More Posts by Utezet
Old Aug 10, 2013, 09:27 PM
a wild pilot
United States, CA, Cerritos
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksrimoungchanh View Post
update: Kevin got back to me and we made progress.. looks like it was just recalibrating my Gyros...

Since it was "plug and play" I was hesitant to try to alter it anyway, but mine must have just been off.

Kevin was very support and quick to help.. even offered for me to send it back.

Kudos! for post-sale support.

KS
Can you explain the fix for this in greater detail? I just got done with some flights with this same gimbal and I experienced the same issue you did. Seems the gimbal likes to roll when I yaw. I'd like it not to. Thanks.
spackletoe is offline Find More Posts by spackletoe
Old Aug 11, 2013, 11:45 AM
Lost in the wind
Joined Jun 2012
205 Posts
my issues seems to be calibration issue.. so when I downloaded the BGC application, I just had to level all my IMU click load to load the configs from the hardware, then click calibrate, to calibrated it to level, then save the configs again.

additionally, there was a setting "INC.MODE", this mode would be a continuous roll or pitch, untill you move your control to Center, making it hard keep the gimbal stay at a position. The GUI was not very good with telling user if you have selected or deselected, but I did my roll and pitch, this allowed me to set my stick at a position and the gimble would move to that position and stay, instead of a continuous movement.

You will need to now your board version and download the correct BGC. Mine was the old 1.3b1. I downloaded my version here : http://www.simplebgc.com/eng/downloads/

I am not sure what version or board you will have so you will need to verify that.

hope this helps.

KS
Old Aug 11, 2013, 02:40 PM
a wild pilot
United States, CA, Cerritos
Joined Feb 2011
66 Posts
Quote:
my issues seems to be calibration issue.. so when I downloaded the BGC application, I just had to level all my IMU click load to load the configs from the hardware, then click calibrate, to calibrated it to level, then save the configs again.

additionally, there was a setting "INC.MODE", this mode would be a continuous roll or pitch, untill you move your control to Center, making it hard keep the gimbal stay at a position. The GUI was not very good with telling user if you have selected or deselected, but I did my roll and pitch, this allowed me to set my stick at a position and the gimble would move to that position and stay, instead of a continuous movement.

You will need to now your board version and download the correct BGC. Mine was the old 1.3b1. I downloaded my version here : http://www.simplebgc.com/eng/downloads/

I am not sure what version or board you will have so you will need to verify that.

hope this helps.

KS
Thanks for the reply. I'll get with Foxtech, I've only had this thing about a week. This one has the button that's supposed to reset the gyros on it, but maybe it's something else.
spackletoe is offline Find More Posts by spackletoe
Old Aug 27, 2013, 06:12 AM
United States, CO, Lakewood
Joined Mar 2007
3,009 Posts
Quote:

hope this helps.

KS
So I just got one & my issue is with the TX control of Pitch & Roll. As you said. The gimbal wanders to the extremes until you bring it back to to center by the switch. You have to switch to the opposite direction. Wait till the gimbal gets to center & then bring the stick back to center so the gimbal will stay put. The way it is now it is useless! While flying you can't see exactly where center is. Even hooked up to an FPV TX It would be hard. The gimbal will just wonder to extreme angles.

My question. The board lights up when plugged in & 1.3 loaded. However it wont read the settings. On the simple download page the 1.3b1 is a hex file. Is it Firmware? IT won't read the settings anyway. This gimbal is useless to me If I can't control the gimbal.
ColoradoHeliNut is offline Find More Posts by ColoradoHeliNut