HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 23, 2004, 01:28 PM
Human Like You
Colorado
Joined Feb 2001
1,616 Posts
I held Babe Ruth's bat in my hands yesterday

During work yesterday, we got called out to inspect some fire system troubles at a house in a "Jeebus, that's a giant freakin mansion" area of Denver. Forty foot ceiling in the living room, movie theater, a putting green in the game room, windows larger than my entire apartment, the whole nine.

The Tech I was with had known the owner for years. The guy proceeds to show us his immense baseball memorobilia collection where I saw Hank Arron's, Pete Rose's and Nolan Ryan's gloves. Just all kinds of amazing stuff from the early 1900's to the present.

Then we end up in the vault, where he's got a larger collection of hall of famer bats than the baseball hall of fame.

I started asking questions and before you know it he put's Babe Ruth's favorite bat (a bat which Ruth signed and sent to Louisville Slugger to have copied in the 1920s).

I'm not a huge baseball fan, but it was still an impressive experience. An object that made baseball history, that attended such hallowed events forty years before I was born. Now we just have to find the guy who has the insane guitar collection.
NewbieX is offline Find More Posts by NewbieX
Old Jan 23, 2004, 01:53 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Thrilling, huh??

I had the same experience with Eric Clapton's guitar. Got to hold it and even play a few "riffs", even though it "un-plugged".

Viper
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Jan 23, 2004, 04:02 PM
Eye Drather Beef Lying
Jacksonville, FL
Joined Aug 2002
2,696 Posts
Re: I held Babe Ruth's bat in my hands yesterday

Quote:
Originally posted by NewbieX
Now we just have to find the guy who has the insane guitar collection.
That would have to be the Scott Chinery collection at the Smithsonian. If it was rare, famous, revolutionary, exquisite, or just bizarre, he has it.
Do a little web searching and you'll find it. I have the hardcover book, "The Chinery Collection". It is an amazing book. It's a little pricey, but I got it as a gift.

Rick
ElectRick is offline Find More Posts by ElectRick
Old Jan 23, 2004, 04:57 PM
Riverview, FL
Joined Dec 2002
1,497 Posts
the grandfather of a friend of mine was friends with a gent named Les Paul in the early 50's and he has one of the 4 models that were made (i want to say he said there were only 4 the first go through - test models and given to musicians as he played guitar for a couple big names) and his was one of 2 un restored and the only unrestored/playable one. So being a guitar player it was neat to hold and play one of the first Les Paul guitars made.
nose_first is offline Find More Posts by nose_first
Old Jan 23, 2004, 05:11 PM
God is good
Banjul
Joined Jan 2001
4,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by nose_first
the grandfather of a friend of mine was friends with a gent named Les Paul in the early 50's and he has one of the 4 models that were made (i want to say he said there were only 4 the first go through - test models and given to musicians as he played guitar for a couple big names) and his was one of 2 un restored and the only unrestored/playable one. So being a guitar player it was neat to hold and play one of the first Les Paul guitars made.
I understand that Hard Rock Cafe in Chicago has one of Les's guitars.

VP
Viper Pilot is offline Find More Posts by Viper Pilot
Old Jan 29, 2004, 10:17 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
Bob Miller showed me his collection of M-16 rifles & Thompson SMGs... he had prototype CARs (shorties) that the Army and Colt didn't have in their own collections... he had green ones, blue ones, one with no "safe" position on the selector, but two, three or four round select-fire in addition to semi-auto... but Babe Ruth's bat... ebay's calling....
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Jan 30, 2004, 01:55 AM
Melbourne, Victoria, Oz.
Joined Oct 2000
315 Posts
My cousin held Liberace's bat........ but I suppose thats different.

hugh
Oneson1 is offline Find More Posts by Oneson1
Old Jan 30, 2004, 11:11 AM
Houston
Joined May 2001
797 Posts
not that different.... it still screams "ebay"!!
lymon is offline Find More Posts by lymon
Old Feb 01, 2004, 11:40 AM
SUMMERFIELD N.C.
Joined Oct 2003
27 Posts
I GUY I WORK WITH (NON MODELER) BROUGHT TO WORK AN ORIGINAL, UNRESTORED, PRE1967 GIBSON LES PAUL GUITAR WITH THE CASE THAT IS IN PRIMO CONDITION. I KNOW VERY LITTLE ABOUT GUITARS, BUT HOLDING THIS THING SENT SHIVERS DOWN MY SPINE. I WAS JUST IMAGINING WHO FAMOUS HAS PLAYED THIS THING? I COULD ONLY GUESS. IT HAS ONE OF THOSE BARS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE STRINGS. THE MOHAGANY WOOD IS JUST BREATHTAKING. IT HAS A COUPLE OF KNOBS ON IT AND A RECEPTICAL (I GUESS) FOR THE AMP. I COULD'NT EVEN GUESS WHAT ITS WORTH. MAYBE A COUPLE HUNDERED DA-150'S AND 40%ERS TO GO WITHIT. IT WAS A THRILL TO JUST HOLD IT. I DONT KNOW THE FIRST THING ABOUT PLAYING ONE, BUT I KNOW WHAT THEY SOUND LIKE.
STUKA BARRY is offline Find More Posts by STUKA BARRY