SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:49 PM
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2013
404 Posts
Discussion
DJI NAZA-M Flyaways - Master Thread

Since there have been lots of reports of NAZA-M flyaways over the last couple of weeks, many (all?) of them with V3.12 firmware, I opened this thread to keep track of them all. If you have a flyaway, please PM me information about your crash. Give as much information as you can, including the details of your setup (particularly type of ESCs, motors, and RX). Include video if you can. I'll collect the information and summarize it in the following blog post:

http://pepsicolarc.blogspot.com/2013...-flyaways.html

Note that due to the extremely high rate of replies to this thread (it's a contentious issue) I am not reading through all the responses - please PM me if you want to get my attention. Thanks!
PepsiCola is offline Find More Posts by PepsiCola
Last edited by PepsiCola; Aug 29, 2013 at 03:48 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:57 PM
Please excuse me..
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Feb 2011
801 Posts
Good start... hopefully we can get everyone in here to elaborate on their individual incidents
represent is online now Find More Posts by represent
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:01 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,310 Posts
This will be helpful if we only input data using the latest firmware and nothing else. The other large flyaway thread is mixed fw's so this needs to be different to be helpful. I've been waiting a while to see what new firmware flyaway numbers will look like. Need to go back and edit this as a poll or by page 20 it won't be as helpful percentage wise.
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:03 PM
Joined Feb 2013
404 Posts
Can you link to the other flyaway thread?
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:30 PM
Slovenská republika, Bratislavský kraj, Bratislava - Podunajské Biskupice
Joined Feb 2011
824 Posts
•Symptoms: I lost control of my quad while I was flying via FPV goggles, distance from transmitter was about 100 meters. No symptoms of motor or ESC failure before the quad crashed. Telemetry logs are showing constant power consumption of 22A (which is typical for my quad) until the quad crashed to the ground. All ESC's are fine and fully ok after crash.
•Hardware: V1
•Software: V3.12
•Setup: TBS Discovery frame. TBS ESC 30A (no ground connected), TBS 750kV motors. Graupner 10x5" props. AR8000 receiver (+1 satellite RX) + DX8 transmitter. GoPro Hero3 Black. FPV69 camera from BlackSheep, RCCC V2 cam switch, 5.8GHz 200mW TBS Rookie transmitter with CPL antenna, TBS EZOSD, 100A current sensor, brushless gimbal with Martinez board.
•Damage: damaged Gopro, broken all propellers, damaged 2 motors, broken brushless gimbal

TBS Discovery crash - possible Naza 3.12 issue?! (0 min 9 sec)
stanleyy is offline Find More Posts by stanleyy
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:34 PM
Joined Feb 2013
404 Posts
Thanks Stanley, I incorporated that info into the master list.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:35 PM
Closed Account
Joined Jun 2013
96 Posts
Phoo is offline Find More Posts by Phoo
Last edited by Phoo; Jul 12, 2013 at 11:10 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:37 PM
Joined Feb 2011
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiCola View Post
Thanks Stanley, I incorporated that info into the master list.
great.. I hope this will be sorted out soon... This crash cost me my brand new Gopro3 + 550 Euro which I spent on new Futaba TX/RX (I have convinced myself that it was caused by TX/RX problems - didn't want to risk it again, so I bought a new transmitter)
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,310 Posts
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1872000

this one. look how well its coming along after months, always a percentage handy. A bunch of collective statements is helpful, but not as much as this format. a 3.12 + only thread is really helpful just my opinion. whatever keeps this one from being a repeat of the above though should really be considered.
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:41 PM
Joined Feb 2013
404 Posts
Thanks branflakes. That's a Phantom thread which is a bit different - I think this thread should specifically for non-Phantom-frame crashes. I changed this to a 3.12-specific thread too but am still open to posts about similar issues on non-V3.12 firmware, to help isolate whether it's V3.12-specific. The other reason this won't be a repeat is that I'm going to collect a master list in the first post for quick reference.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:50 PM
Joined Feb 2011
824 Posts
Ok, this is my first 3.12 "flyaway":
Naza 3.12 flyaway #1 (0 min 12 sec)

As you can see, quad started to fly on its own to the ground. Fortunately it picked the "good" direction away from us and my car. It landed in the grass, nothing was damaged.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:58 PM
Joined Feb 2013
404 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stanleyy View Post
Ok, this is my first 3.12 "flyaway":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJPCe...ature=youtu.be

As you can see, quad started to fly on its own to the ground. Fortunately it picked the "good" direction away from us and my car. It landed in the grass, nothing was damaged.
Thanks, looks very similar. Looking at the video, it strikes me that the common theme here is that the NAZA seems to be confused about its attitude. It tries to fly in the right direction but it bases the target attitude off the wrong starting point. I can't figure out yet whether the attitude is measured relative to the quad or relative to North, we'll need to see more yaws during failure to figure that out.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:01 PM
Joined Feb 2011
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiCola View Post
Thanks, looks very similar. Looking at the video, it strikes me that the common theme here is that the NAZA seems to be confused about its attitude. It tries to fly in the right direction but it bases the target attitude off the wrong starting point. I can't figure out yet whether the attitude is measured relative to the quad or relative to North, we'll need to see more yaws during failure to figure that out.
it was not relative to north in my case - my real crash was in exactly opposite direction as you can see on my first video - the silver car on video #1 is mine...
And it crashed "to the back" on my second video.
Last edited by stanleyy; Jun 25, 2013 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:50 PM
Flying R/C since 1964
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Sep 2004
3,517 Posts
If you really want the thread to be useful, it has to include the COMPLETE set up (ESC, motors, Rx, other RF emitters on board). Also whether in GPS, ATTI or MAN mode, and if GPS installed.

I see no reports listing DJI ESCs, for example. Maybe this is part of the pattern?
kallend is offline Find More Posts by kallend
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Using a DX9 to "strobe" LED...
Old Jun 25, 2013, 08:12 PM
Joined Feb 2013
404 Posts
Yes, that would be helpful to have. Maybe we could contact the original posters and get more information from them.

Is the NAZA-M designed only to work with DJI ESCs? If so, I didn't know it had that rather restrictive limitation. If not, I'm not really curious whether there are any reports using DJI ESCs.