HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:46 AM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
Discussion
If you could only have one sub 50" 3D Plane ???

Pretty much as per the title "If you could only have one sub 50" 3D Plane" what would it be and maybe more importantly why ???

Imagine you were out in the situation you HAD to sell ALL your fleet apart from one full bodied balsa, which would be the one you chose to keep out of all of them and as interesting is the other side of the coin, what would you be getting rid of in order to keep just that one???
Witterings is online now Find More Posts by Witterings
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:28 PM
TEAM EXTREME!
High Prairie, WA
Joined Nov 2007
1,713 Posts
Hands down my trusty Extreme Flight 48" Extra 300EXP! The best part about the airplane is that it flies precision aerobatics like a larger airplane and provides an excellent platform for practicing in your back yard. 3D is unreal and the airplane loves high speed, aggressive, XA style flying as well!

Extreme Flight 48'' Extra 300EXP snow flying 2012.mp4 (5 min 34 sec)
danielph is offline Find More Posts by danielph
Old Jun 25, 2013, 01:09 PM
VOLTS > AMPS
United States, MN, Buffalo
Joined Jul 2011
3,867 Posts
That thing is a jack of all trades Daniel. It looks so nice in the air and draws such clean lines. Every time I bring it out I just love it.

It would be a tough one for me between the
Mxs
Laser
Extra

I would probably pick the mxs as its just crazy and I love to fly it fast.
stgdz is offline Find More Posts by stgdz
Old Jun 25, 2013, 01:33 PM
Addicted to 3DHS and EF
United States, OH, Bristolville
Joined Oct 2010
4,713 Posts
that is a hard one, but if It was under 50'' it would have to be my 3dhs 47'' extra SHP. It will do any 3d move you want and track straight as an arrow. It really excels in everything. But the 3dhs 46'' yak is a close second.
3Daddict is offline Find More Posts by 3Daddict
Old Jun 25, 2013, 01:41 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
central PA.
Joined Sep 2004
20,246 Posts
I also like the 42" Slick... the plane is amazingly capable, but also because 1500mah packs are super cheap, easy to get a pile of them for a bunch of fun at the flight line without recharging. Setup is considerably cheaper too.
theKM is offline Find More Posts by theKM
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:17 PM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielph View Post
Hands down my trusty Extreme Flight 48" Extra 300EXP! The best part about the airplane is that it flies precision aerobatics like a larger airplane and provides an excellent platform for practicing in your back yard. 3D is unreal and the airplane loves high speed, aggressive, XA style flying as well!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDPEN_cCmLU

Best performance balance of anything I've ever flown. Certainly my favorite.
Doc Austin is offline Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:03 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,401 Posts
If it came down to it right now today and I couldn't keep my favorite plane the 64" MXS. I'd probably hang on to my 48" Edge EXP it does everything and then some and it flies bigger than a 48".or maybe my 42" Slick simply because it is fun to throw around and it can be flown practically anywhere. Kinda torn really.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Old Jun 25, 2013, 04:10 PM
A man with too many toys
United States
Joined Feb 2001
18,059 Posts
I vote for the EF Edge 48” EXP.
RC Man is online now Find More Posts by RC Man
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:28 PM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,601 Posts
Easy choice EF 48 MXS
GPT is offline Find More Posts by GPT
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:30 PM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
OK, I've seen at least one post from someone affiliated with / sponsored by a manufacturer, that's really not what I was hoping for!!
I'd really love to have input from your everyday flyer that absolutely has no bias what-so-ever otherwise there's not much point in me asking the question!
Not knocking you guys I know it's your duty to promote and I've had great input from affiliated people sorting problems with great planes but just this once I'd really love totally independent input most.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:34 PM
USA, OH, Cincinnati
Joined Nov 2010
141 Posts
Under 50"? I'd have to saw off 1/2" from each wing tip of my 51" AJ Slick! Nearly IMAC precise, amazing at 3D, fits in my car with the wings on (just barely), has spare parts, has a very large user support base, and very tough.
cedarville is online now Find More Posts by cedarville
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:49 PM
Chichester Sussex
Joined Aug 2007
2,616 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cedarville View Post
Under 50"? I'd have to saw off 1/2" from each wing tip of my 51" AJ Slick! Nearly IMAC precise, amazing at 3D, fits in my car with the wings on (just barely), has spare parts, has a very large user support base, and very tough.
Saw away and send it my way, a saw off slick any good for bank jobs

The 42" could be in the inner circle though ??????
Old Jun 25, 2013, 06:57 PM
3RN13
United States, IL, West Chicago
Joined Feb 2008
454 Posts
PA Extra 260, smooth as silk and 3Ds and tumbles like crazy. I have had and still have 3DHS and Extreme Flight but if it came down to one plane... PA Extra 260.

Ernie
ernie b is online now Find More Posts by ernie b
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:08 PM
Yin & Yang
United States, VA, Sterling
Joined Jul 2011
4,401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witterings View Post
OK, I've seen at least one post from someone affiliated with / sponsored by a manufacturer, that's really not what I was hoping for!!
I'd really love to have input from your everyday flyer that absolutely has no bias what-so-ever otherwise there's not much point in me asking the question!
Not knocking you guys I know it's your duty to promote and I've had great input from affiliated people sorting problems with great planes but just this once I'd really love totally independent input most.
If your a decent 3D pilot already and you want something that's low cost and easily transportable then the 42" Slick is a great choice. If your a good sport pilot wanting a great platform to learn 3D skills then the 48" Edge EXP is the way to go. It will doit all with Omph when your ready but is docile enough to allow you to advance your skills at your own pace. If you were new to the hobby and have been flying foamies and want your first 3D capable Balsa. I'd say go with the Buck Huck. It flies really nice and floaty but more solid than a foamy, parts are available cheap enough and the whole thing can be replaced when it breaks really bad.

My brand loyalty is self serving. I fly both 3DHS and EF and both have their qualities, I have more EF airframes but the plane that I get the most stick time on is the Lil Slick I love that little thing and as my wife likes to say "It's the cutest little thing" I fly a red one but when it bites the big one I have an Orange one NIB waiting it's turn. But the Slick by design is a plane you need to stay ahead of. get behind on it too often and it will bite you. But hey, I'm a glutton for punishment.
Liberty10 is offline Find More Posts by Liberty10
Last edited by Liberty10; Jun 25, 2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 07:12 PM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,539 Posts
Of course I only have one but wouldn't trade her for another plane period. It's the 3DHS 41 inch Edge. The little orange buck huck. This plane is super tough yet a great plane to just get out for a few minutes an play.
I think what I like best is the wire landing gear,making it very very durable on hairrer landings.
She can take a hit like no other.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50