http://www.clickorlando.com/news/loc...z/-/index.html
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 25, 2013, 09:15 AM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,291 Posts
The article does not mention a DJI Naza-M specifically, could be any controller.

Just what this hobby needs more bad publicity, love all the hype in the article.
dfruehwald is online now Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:06 AM
Russellton, PA
Joined Oct 2002
1,021 Posts
Confused...

Ok, somebody enlighten me...

I've been in R/C since 1984...flying R/C since 1986...helis/planks/jets and over the past 4 years various multirotors.

What is it that gives anyone the idea that because they are flying a multirotor model with a f'ing go-pro on it that they have the RIGHT to fly over other people’s property, over populated areas including open major roads or housing plans, etc?

Am I missing something here?

Here's a message to all you $1000.00 experts with your new toys - STOP IT! Clear enough! You have no right to fly where you are flying...and doing what you are doing unless it's over YOUR OWN PRIVATE PROPERTY.

Never in the years of flying, except the past maybe 3 yrs and more recently, have I seen so so many A##CLOWNS with $1000 on their credit cards making these types of mistakes. This ain't no stinking 28gram micro park flyer model. You lose control over a highway and come thru someone’s windshield or worse and everybody pays and everybody loses.

Someone please tell me what I'm missing? I'd never even think to fly any of my OTHER models/non multirotors in these places whether LOS or FPV. It's not safe folks! But should I be ok to fly my multi there? REALLY?!?!?

Obviously the ones doing this are too dumb to know any better... NO I'm not talking about your 10 acre farm...have at it. Stop flying over populated areas and neighborhoods alike. It is not your right - it is not safe - no matter who built it - made it or else.

GMRO
GMRO is offline Find More Posts by GMRO
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:17 AM
United States, CT
Joined Mar 2011
1,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfruehwald View Post
The article does not mention a DJI Naza-M specifically, could be any controller.

Just what this hobby needs more bad publicity, love all the hype in the article.
sure looked like a naza gps in the video
AlPackin is offline Find More Posts by AlPackin
Old Jun 25, 2013, 10:54 AM
WZ9V, AMA 409852
United States, VA, Alexandria
Joined Jan 2007
1,291 Posts
OK, I just read the article I didn't watch the video. A DJI would be pretty obvious in the video so I stand corrected.

I agree with the sentiment expressed about people being unsafe. It seems to be epidemic lately, why aren't the places selling this stuff reminding people to be careful and have awareness of the situation they fly in.
dfruehwald is online now Find More Posts by dfruehwald
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:20 AM
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Mar 2012
191 Posts
Because if they told people to be careful they'd be admitting something might go wrong...
Ravio11i is online now Find More Posts by Ravio11i
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:25 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Video voyeurism, what, with a "drone"? Oh please, just shut up already. Before any state even thinks about changing their laws and whatnot, perhaps they should have a good look at themselves and the whole PRISM/NSA spectacle before they stomp on the people that just want to film random things with sport cameras. Cameras that you need to get up close and personal with to see any "arousing" details and whatnot.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Jun 25, 2013, 11:58 AM
Out of helis, sanity returning
Tallahassee, FL
Joined Feb 2009
2,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfruehwald View Post
OK, I just read the article I didn't watch the video. A DJI would be pretty obvious in the video so I stand corrected.

I agree with the sentiment expressed about people being unsafe. It seems to be epidemic lately, why aren't the places selling this stuff reminding people to be careful and have awareness of the situation they fly in.
You could apply that reasoning to anything that is sold and has the possibility of harming others- cars, guns, motorcycles, what-not. We have laws in place governing how people use those things in an effort to create an illusion of safety perhaps, but there are no laws governing the use of (and I use the term loosely because I think it's a misnomer) "Drones". I think there will be eventually, and probably to the sorrow of all who are flying in this more-or-less anarchistic paradigm we have now.
2400RDR is offline Find More Posts by 2400RDR
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:59 PM
Joined Jun 2005
1,033 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2400RDR View Post
You could apply that reasoning to anything that is sold and has the possibility of harming others- cars, guns, motorcycles, what-not. We have laws in place governing how people use those things in an effort to create an illusion of safety perhaps, but there are no laws governing the use of (and I use the term loosely because I think it's a misnomer) "Drones". I think there will be eventually, and probably to the sorrow of all who are flying in this more-or-less anarchistic paradigm we have now.
Already have one in Texas starting Sept. 1. Sadly, it is full of holes, so hobbyists are disadvantaged, but the use by other entities (e.g. utilities, universities, police, fire, etc.) is largely untouched.

The law really didn't have a sentinel event that caused the legislation; merely the fear that someone would do something.
dapple63 is offline Find More Posts by dapple63
Old Jun 25, 2013, 01:07 PM
Team WarpSquad, y'all!
United States, AL, Guntersville
Joined Dec 2012
1,019 Posts
Most of the new laws seem to be for the benefit of large-scale meat producers. They're afraid someone will make videos of what they're doing to the animals. Many of the laws specifically prohibit taking pictures of other's property, or in some cases of even flying with a camera. This is lobbying dollars at work.
Moto Moto is offline Find More Posts by Moto Moto
Old Jun 25, 2013, 01:38 PM
United States, MI, Dansville
Joined Oct 2012
502 Posts
what he was doing and where he was flying was wrong. but on the other hand how the media pointed out the window and the sunbather is laughable. it wasnt even close to the window nor was it pointing at the sunbather and i couldnt make any anything out when they zoomed in on either of them. in my case the sunbather got all pixeled out to me. but they call these "drones" to give them a bad stigma in the media.

he shouldnt of been flying around a apt cpmplex or the city that was stoopid.
but the media puts such a spin on things that makes it look like the goprop has a 120mm zoom lens and can video a ant farting from a mile out. sry but no becausethats what the governmet uses. and like what was said before the nsa is doing worse stuff than this smuck flying around his apt complex.
dybbob is offline Find More Posts by dybbob
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:07 PM
F550 Pilot
Joined Feb 2012
129 Posts
We clearly need some positive articles on these "drones" in the media.
Merko is offline Find More Posts by Merko
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:25 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,002 Posts
Yep this was from my local new network. I set the DVR last night when they showed a lead in to the story at 6. It almost went in on I-4 a local very busy interstate which could have been a disaster. I would almost bet he was FPV as well.
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow
Old Jun 25, 2013, 03:48 PM
Joined Jan 2011
2,310 Posts
good thing it wasnt the full size chopper or cessnas that routinely crash down onto interstates for like the past 50 yrs. better it be a what if, worst case scenario thats never happened we would get all worked over about imo.

privacy=non issue, take down google earth while we are at it. it does absolutely no good to get mad at people who are flying legally, and the vid is legal until laws change. with all the heinous stuff with guns going on, and not much change, I dont see much coming for FPV where no one is hurt. I know its poor taste but times are changing. I like the comment about downsizing if someone is going to fly urban, soon we'll be so small there will be no safety issues only privacy
branflakes is offline Find More Posts by branflakes
Last edited by branflakes; Jun 25, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 05:13 PM
Champagne Supernova
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Jul 2010
2,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by branflakes View Post
good thing it wasnt the full size chopper or cessnas that routinely crash down onto interstates for like the past 50 yrs. better it be a what if, worst case scenario thats never happened we would get all worked over about imo.

privacy=non issue, take down google earth while we are at it. it does absolutely no good to get mad at people who are flying legally, and the vid is legal until laws change. with all the heinous stuff with guns going on, and not much change, I dont see much coming for FPV where no one is hurt. I know its poor taste but times are changing. I like the comment about downsizing if someone is going to fly urban, soon we'll be so small there will be no safety issues only
privacy
So your saying its ok in your opinion to fly RC aircraft over a residential area and an interstate hwy. ?
FlyHighSelllow is offline Find More Posts by FlyHighSelllow