HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 24, 2013, 09:09 PM
United States, TX, Austin
Joined Aug 2007
354 Posts
Help!
Flytron SimpleOSD X2 Help

Does anybody have any good experience with the SimpleOSD X2 model from Flytron??

I recently purchased one of these because I was looking for something lightweight, not super crazy feature rich and, as the name says, simple. I only purchased the current sensor for the time being and would get the GPS sensor later once get everything working in the air. BTW, I plan on putting this in my Mini Zephyr, hence the weight and size.

After soldering on all the pinouts and wiring it up to my system on the bench it seemed to be working. However as soon as I plug the current sensor into the board the screen goes static and no video passes through.

Also when I power the system up, the GPS lock screen is visible along with all other data like altitude, speed and direction home which I don't want because I don't have the GPS unit. SO, I downloaded the ground station software and plugged the unit into my FTDI cable, but the software won't recognize the unit's com port.

Basically my 3 three problem areas are:
Why does the video go out when I connect the current sensor?
Why won't the GS software recognize the unit's plugged in?
and How do I turn off the GPS data and have the unit just recognize and display battery info and time?

I really did something I don't always do, and buy a product with not a lot of community knowledge or very great support. So anybody that could lend a hand is appreciated.

Thanks, Evan
superevan is offline Find More Posts by superevan
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 24, 2013, 10:25 PM
FPVing for fun...
Joined Jul 2003
561 Posts
I have the SimpleOSD XL...

how are you powering it?... power in comes from the current sensor... the V+ pin next to the video/audio pins is output, for powering the camera...

to change the displayed information you need the configurator and the OSD must be powered AND the camera connected when you connect it to the computer...
rcall is online now Find More Posts by rcall
Old Jun 24, 2013, 11:22 PM
Joined Aug 2007
354 Posts
Thanks for the reply rcall!

I have everything wired up that way but still cannot get it to talk to the computer. Also, the graphics are rapidly jumping up and down on the screen and are unresponsive.
Old Jun 25, 2013, 12:01 AM
Joined Aug 2007
354 Posts
Whenever I run the configurator it gives me one of two errors every time:

ComPort not found.
or
Configuration tool didn't detect the SimpleOSD!

Computer says there's an FTDI cable connected to COM4, and I choose COM4 in the configurator tool. But nothing other than those 2 errors.

Am I missing something here?
Old Jun 29, 2013, 05:56 PM
Joined Jul 2011
40 Posts
The SimpleOSD X2 can't be configured with the SimpleOSD XL Configurator as it has another firmware installed. Melih (from flytron) has not released a firmware update yet.

The current DIY OSD Firmware is posted in this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2254

Today I tried to get my SimpleOSD X2 working and had similar problems as you describe. The workaround I found to disable the black background dimming and uploaded this firmware. Btw my camera is the new fatshark cmos 600tvl. What camera do you have?

To make the same adjustment get the linked firmware and in the file config.h change #define dim_on 1 to #define dim_on 0

Then upload the changes as described on the product page of the osd.

This made the picture much better but it is still far from being perfect. When the picture of the camera is dark the osd overlay starts jumping again. Seems like the OSD has problems to sync to the video signal.

I have yet to do a test flight but I hope that this is not a big issue during flight.
schugabe is offline Find More Posts by schugabe
Old Jun 29, 2013, 06:44 PM
Joined Aug 2007
354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by schugabe View Post
The SimpleOSD X2 can't be configured with the SimpleOSD XL Configurator as it has another firmware installed. Melih (from flytron) has not released a firmware update yet.

The current DIY OSD Firmware is posted in this post http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=2254

Today I tried to get my SimpleOSD X2 working and had similar problems as you describe. The workaround I found to disable the black background dimming and uploaded this firmware. Btw my camera is the new fatshark cmos 600tvl. What camera do you have?

To make the same adjustment get the linked firmware and in the file config.h change #define dim_on 1 to #define dim_on 0

Then upload the changes as described on the product page of the osd.

This made the picture much better but it is still far from being perfect. When the picture of the camera is dark the osd overlay starts jumping again. Seems like the OSD has problems to sync to the video signal.

I have yet to do a test flight but I hope that this is not a big issue during flight.
Thanks schugabe, unfortunately I sent mine back. RMRC understood my problem and were nice enough to take it back. Gotta love those guys!

Thanks for the advice though, hopefully someone else will find it helpful!
Old Apr 07, 2014, 12:06 AM
United States, UT, Sandy
Joined Nov 2010
36 Posts
So far, I am pretty disappointed in this product. Very little description of how to use it. Here are my complaints:
1. The provided documentation is for the old versions, not the x2, and don't work. 2. Can't bring up the cofiguration function with the shorting switch.
3. No explanation of the majority of the holes in the board. I want to hook up RSSI, but I will have to find the right analog channel on my own. Why no explanation for this important feature?
4. The on-screen display is half-assed and hard to read.

All in all, I was much better satisfied with a commercial product I had, like Cyclops 1.5. It had a clearly readible display and good explanation of how to use. It recently quit working, so I tried this. Its no bargain!
rbcodell is offline Find More Posts by rbcodell
Old Apr 09, 2014, 03:26 AM
Joined Jul 2011
40 Posts
I wrote a summary on how to set this osd up: http://fpvlab.com/forums/showthread....h-digital-RSSI
schugabe is offline Find More Posts by schugabe