Old Sep 26, 2004, 03:49 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
Hi RysiuM,
Was that in a dive? or level flight? 72.55 is very fast!!
Before Ianswer the question I tell you a story (short). I had a coroplast delta with Mega 15/16/2 on board. It was flying 80-100mph level (3 minutes on 1800mAh battery). I wanted faster, so I dived it from about 1000ft at 60 degree. At 100ft I started to pull up - nothing happens. Delta was doing over 120mph, and it was to much - my elevons stalled. When she hit the ground it bounced about 50 ft back into the air. I was lucky that shortened batteries didn't start a fire on dry grass field. She doesn't fly any more.

Conclusion: I don't want to test the max speed limit on my Wind Buster - I like it way to much to ditch it.

Answer: No it was level flight - my second pass when I hit the full throttle just after I turned it around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
My heart rate goes thru more changes flying my Buster than an afternoon at the gym!!
My Apoge 830 are good for 6 minutes, but ater 2-3 minutes I'm burned. I'm lucky to know myself when by brain is about to fart. Then I land - no mishaps here.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2004, 03:55 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,660 Posts
Me too! About 4-5 minutes is all I can take!
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Sep 26, 2004, 11:21 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
You will find the windbuster wont stall like a delta.. there are two seperate flying surfaces.. the second wing in the rear stalls at a much later then the main wing allowing you to climb out with no fuss.. just fast.. if you over throw the elevator the worst I have seen thus far is a snap.. .coming out of a dive a small amount of input will motivate the wing... I enjoy flying low and level full throttle then blipping the elevator and watch it do a 90 striaght up .. striaght down is faster but the reaction is similar...however our perception and reactions normaly dont pull off a equaly clean 90 deg correction.. but try it up higher at 70percent throttle see how easy it handles the course change.
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Oct 24, 2004, 08:16 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,660 Posts
Ok Brad,
We went out to the desert and flew today in a place where there was no abstructions and no one to kill if we lost it. Ha-Ha. Anyway, all day passes on the radar between 85-93 mph in level flight. Any body got one they can prove is faster? Hybris has to pilot it for me though, unless like out here, where it is wide open so I can make large laps. Hybris is the "Man" for piloting small fast planes for sure. He makes it look easy. It was a fun day, Too bad we didn't have a dozen more to sell, they would have been gone for sure. Thanks for the "Special" power plant Brad!!!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 08:20 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,660 Posts
And just for fun, Hybris did a very cool thing with my plane today, vertical aileron rolls untill it was out of sight, literally! I stood under it with the radar gun as it sped away rolling, 60 mph straight up! Man it gets small in a hurry. We need to get Hybris flying this on video. Way too cool!!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 09:50 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Bob.. thankyou for the update!!! geez 60mph striaght up rolling.. wonder how fast it would have climbed without the aileron rolls.
93mph with the 4040 prop so with a 3.740 prop would go over 100 easy... or just cheat a hair and run down hill lol all the same these speeds are fantastic!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:01 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,660 Posts
Yeah, we can say an honest 88 mph all day long in straight and level flight. It's really fast for the first few minutes, then it kinda levels out. Still between 85 and 93 thru the whole flight. This with a 2 cell pack!!! Killer motor Brad!! I made a mistake in trial though, it is faster with the 2 cell Gen II 730 pack. Only because it is lighter I think. The power trade off for the Apogee's is the reason for the vertical. I have never tried it with the TP 730's, Maybe it just flies more responsive and not really faster? I need to put the gun on it and see. The original wing blew up with the 730's for sure.
Old Oct 24, 2004, 10:54 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
I do notice faster speeds with my TP860's over the heavy TP1320's which means the motor can be wound hotter for the larger packs .. both pack types take the plane vertical with ease.. I enjoy flying the race wing with the lighter 860's and save my 1320's for double stator motors and my outriggers and for my vertical beast I made awhile back.

The stock hot motor does just fine on smaller packs such as the TP730's ..
mild motor runs happy on the kokam 340's and up..
Bob you will most likely get over 100 again with the TP730's
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:21 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,660 Posts
Hard to believe we are talking about 100 mph with a plane that costs so little and is so little!! I've said it before, I fly Jets and other planes that fly well over 100 mph, but they are nothing like flying this one that fast. I know on a Yellow A-4 110 mph is faster than the real A-4 could go in scale. It is 1/12 scale. I'm thinking the Wind Buster would be like 1/43rd scale. That would mean 100 mph in a Wind Buster would be the same as mach 3.5!!!!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:29 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Yep, we got lots of flying in today. rvincent's second from his hottest motor really jammed. Mine does 60 in level flight and his did 85. 25 mph faster with a motor change! I would have to argue which I like more. The faster one is great in wide open areas, but my slow 73mph one is just fine in the park. We will have to try the super+ hot motor next. We will have to reduce the elevator throw though. Too sensitive when 90+ dives.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:33 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,660 Posts
Motors?

I had a couple of people ask me today if you planned on selling the motor you sent me for testing? If you are, how much? I know it is a real tough wind! I've tried to do it myself. I'm getting better at it, but yours look perfect. Could you post the prices of your motors from mild to wild? By the way, this is not the super power plant you just sent me. I'm not even ready to try that weapon yet The motor we used today is not as hot as the newest mill you sent me You promised me a motor WILDLY past my abilities The one I am currently using is close to that now!
Old Oct 24, 2004, 11:41 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,660 Posts
I'm glad to hear it's not just me! I think I need to take your suggestion Hybris and program in some special dual rates. It doesn't want to flare very well on final the way it is, but it far too sensitive at speed. We really need some video of that new manuever you found on your Buster. I tried to explain to some of my friends, but hearing about is definitely not the same as seeing it. Kinda like a Mach 2 Lemchevauc. (hope I spelled it right!) Anyway it is the coolest thing with this plane, other than the speed!
Old Oct 25, 2004, 04:49 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Yes I can wind them up just takes time.. in the rc car world and boat world hand wound motors are bought by the top racers to get max speed.. machines dont do a very good job of even lay up of the strands.. dual and tripple strand motors are difficult but if done right .. the outcome is a powerful motor with good duration .. Bob I can make up a batch of motors for you and give you a discount if you buy in batches of 10 and such PM me for a price.. quote...if you use expo you can have that extra pitch control on landings..
Old Oct 25, 2004, 10:11 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,660 Posts
Thanks Brad, I'll get hold of you.

I can't really use expo because the resolution on the cirrus 4.4's isn't fine enough, it makes the servos real "jerky". I'll make a new mechanical linkage and use dual rates like Hybris suggested. He has always given me the correct fix that makes the most sense and works best.
Old Oct 25, 2004, 03:58 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
I have the lil blue wonders too.. they seem to work well for what you get... I have a few basic transmitters.. one is a cheapo gws gray box .. by using the closest hole to center on the servo horn and the furthest hole on the control surface horn.. im able to reduce by mech means enough to make the plane flyable by me..and its soft enough on the controls that most could get the nak... butttttttttttt.. since times are changing.. as research and testing has produced so much more speed over the stock hot motor its time to redo the wing to suit these new breeds of motors.. I will keep near the same wing area but reduce the size of the ailerons and elevator... also I can dampen the pitch by increased tail moment.. this will allow smaller stabs in the tail a trick well known with gliders..it allows for smaller wing area and smooths out the faster sink rate...Would love to see some vid of Marty flying free form with your new motor/ plane.. I thrive on the nimble fast responce of short field flying in your face over your head throttle flying.. mastering your throttle control and knowing how far to push the lift envelope of the wing at given attitudes and speeds up close hones yours skills to the point of being able to fly at most parks at full throttle when desired... Bob .. the new built up fueslage could be just the ticket with the 2str 10mag motor .. the extra mags will help deal with the fuselage weight and drag...Marty!!!!!! well done on the planes sold... knew they would go fast but geez they sold as fast as the planes fly..you and Bob have been fantastic carving out new ground in cal. and with the maggy boyz!!!!!!!
Do you have a contact number perhaps you can send them photos of plane and radar readings.. I would also love to get in a statement about the design history and the power progressions from IPS gear drives,DD coreless and the ramp up of cd rom power, and nix some old miss conceptions of what it takes to be in the 100mph club... wish I could have been there with you guys.. I would have tossed up my 13.5 racer hehee.