Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Sep 17, 2004, 09:15 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Well looks like the new motors are becoming more powerful then the wings can handle.. I would hate to go with thicker wood.. hhehe the old double strand seceret weapon took out the stock race wing with ease!!!! time for a new wing design just for the new hot motors coming out...lucky landing .. CA fix for sure.. perhaps with some wax paper smear a thin layer of ca over root cord too...and in the grain on the wing tips..will help.. reduce the chance a split starts. Im sure it was hualllllllling booty.. as that motor is my hottest thus far..did you get to run atleast one pack through all the way to give you an idea of run time.?
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 18, 2004, 12:17 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR MOVER
Well looks like the new motors are becoming more powerful then the wings can handle.. I would hate to go with thicker wood..
Brad, do you think a Nelson film on both sides will make a big difference? Nelson is so light, that will not change the performance a bit, but it might do some good for the wing.

If not, I would think about Mica Film - this thing is so strong, that you can break CF boom, but not the wing Not much added weight either.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Sep 18, 2004, 01:30 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,246 Posts
No, it was on the 4th lap when it blew apart. The 1st pass I was trimming out (this motor requires different trim, 2 extra magnets so a little heavier), the 2nd was just trying to hold on, the 3rd was cool starting to get the feel for it, and the 4th open to full throttle and....thud!! It's already repaired. Like you saw in the photo, it was a really clean break. I used some thin Zap, a playing card like a spatchela, and 1 piece 2in packing tape along the bottom from tip to tip then trimmed to fit. Really if you didn't know what happened, I don't think you would ever know. Hopefully I can get a full flight in tomorrow I'll let you know how it goes. I really want to get the radar on it with this motor. One thing for certain, It is a tough little beast!! After seeing Hybris' plane do almost the same thing except his wing departed the airframe and hit the ground, and now mine, I'm not worried about breaking it any longer.
Bob
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Sep 18, 2004, 05:32 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Ya that little extra support with the super hot motor should keep things together.. look forward to hearing what the radar gun shows it doing...=)
Old Sep 19, 2004, 01:00 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,246 Posts
New look, Old plane

Here is how it looks after the repairs. Bottom of the wing and plane are the same except for the 2in packing tape. Top of plane and tail feathers are now painted with Boyd's model paint. True Blue Pearl and Jet White. I think it will be easier to see in the air now too. The last pic is what it looked like before the "Thud". I actually like it better now With the repairs and addition of the tape it now weighs 3.9oz's with the TP gen II 730 pack on board.
Bob
Old Sep 19, 2004, 01:10 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,246 Posts
All I need now is a "WindBuster" logo. Hint-Hint
Old Sep 20, 2004, 10:25 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Excellent recovery//// looks like a whole new bird!!!!!!
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:08 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Here is the second version and the keeper .. the fuselage allows up to 3cell packs.. the batt bay is open enough to make mounting the elevator servo and rx esc with ease... the hatch is a simple tab hatch spring loaded with thin carbon to hold the batts in firm.. tight fit with 1320's and perfect fit for 730s.. .. this is one shown in the pic is going to Bob... enjoy!!!!!!
Old Sep 24, 2004, 10:18 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,246 Posts
Very Cool!!!
Is the aileron servo mounted the same way? How is the motor mounted? I can't wait to get my hands on it Very sleek and sexy Is it much heavier than the original?
Old Sep 24, 2004, 11:48 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
The plane weighs in at .8oz ...... I made the wing saddle with no snags or catches to avoid wing dings in crashes..the aileron servo can be done two ways.. inside the fuse or the normal way.. if you add two ply blocks under and attached to the wing only the servo horn will stick out the top of the wing... the wood screws that hold the servo down just come up from the bottom side of the servo.. this is ideal for a clean look.. cleaner still would be control rods .. torque rods .. hinged to the trailing edge of the wing typical setup of larger rc planes.... and thus allowing a complete hidden control system.. the elevator control rod goes right out the back end of the plane.. the design is clean as your willing to set it up as... also for those intrested there is plenty room to add a landing gear tail skid or 3rd servo rudder tail wheel stearing. =).... the motor tube press fits into the ply and is temp down with thick CA if you crash the ca will give and push the motor back flush to the firewall .. that amount of movement is enough to save the motor in most cases... there are other ways to keep the motor from ripping loose at full throttle..you could use a set screw setup to hold the tube in place... or a larger rubber tube around the cooling tube then pushed through the ply firewall would be enough to keep the motor in place... and add some vibration dampening... this will be something through use will help us determine the best way to deal with the motor mounting .. if you have a motor your for sure going to keep on there for a long duration thick CA will do the job.. and not as much is really needed.. allowing you to still twist and break the bond free for motor core change outs....
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:04 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,246 Posts
With this clean airframe, I think a cc25 and 3 cells might just be the way to go! I mean what the heck, if we going to haul booty and look look a smaller VIP, lets really get after it!! Do you think the fuse is going to be tough enough at the tail section to withstand the severe "G's" its going to see? I really like it!! I'm trying to think of a paint scheme for it now.
Old Sep 25, 2004, 12:07 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
It is built using the same tricks as when I built speed400 size planes.. very robust open box form.. using thin ply on the top and bottom minus the curved balsa block area infront of the wing.. the sides are rather thick to help avoid splitting..nothing better then the original fuselage for shock loads however this typ air frame is tough and easy to repair... shear loads in twist are well controled.. through the length the thicker balsa sides give more surface area for bonding.. with the ply and help avoid the need of any sq stock .. and formers .. should be perfect for fast setup and return you with a sleeeeeek look at speed..... notice the arched belly .. the 400's really slide well with this type of belly on the grass.. the lighter windbusters should be even more robust due to there lower weight..
Old Sep 25, 2004, 08:31 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
For you, crazy speed guys, it will not sound inpresive, but for me being behind sticks was. I clocked Wind Buster today. My home motor, 3s1p Apoge 830, custom cut 3.6x4.5 prop, CC10 on board. Static on the ground motor runs 24k rpm at 11A.

Today I had a video camera so I coul record the sound and using doppler effect calculation I measured the rpm and speed. Second fly by was 72.55mph at 30280rpm.

This plane is impossible to record on the video. It is to small to see it at wide zoom, and to fast to track it on high zoom. What I hot on tape is only blue sky and sound of plane passing by. This is the frame from the video, when I was doing turn around (about 10 times optical zoom)

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Sep 25, 2004, 08:41 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
sure thats not a ufo? 72.55mph is indeed fast...think you would need a helmet cam to help keep up with the lil beast.. great info ty !!!!
Old Sep 26, 2004, 01:45 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,246 Posts
Hi RysiuM,
Was that in a dive? or level flight? 72.55 is very fast!! You got to love the Aortal olympics this little beast puts you heart thru!! I tell you, we should call this a sport rather than a hobby. My heart rate goes thru more changes flying my Buster than an afternoon at the gym!!