HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 30, 2004, 10:17 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
Hi Air Mover,
Sorry but I was not able to fly this week end. I was in Oakland on an emergency call out in the Port of Oakland repairing a crane. I did get in a few flights before I left. I am getting very comfortable with it now. most of the flights are about 75% throttle. The little beastie is fast no doubt, but I am still running the 11t 26g 6 mag motor. Once I get it dialed in a bit more, I will put the dual strand motor on. Right now it wants to climb straight up if I go more than 75% throttle, but it very definitely faster past 75%. I think I will place a shim under the rear of the wing to take some of the camber out to reduce that climb problem. It lands like an average pattern ship, so a little less camber won't hurt I'm sure. Sorry rysium, but while I was in Oakland I could not get away from the port to come to your field. I'll be back next week though and have more time then. Also I will bring my plane(s). I'm going to go with Apogee 2cell 1050's instead of the TP 730's. I think this will C.G. the plane better and give me a little more "Poop".
Bob
rvincent is online now Find More Posts by rvincent
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:40 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Sounds like your having fun with them all the same.. did Hybris get his wing back together.. Im working on a new motor turns 43.4k .. scary sound with a 3030. =}
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Last edited by AIR MOVER; Sep 14, 2004 at 02:02 AM.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 01:38 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
He did but I will let him answer for himself. I am in Seattle all this week so no flying this week either I do have 1 question for you though; was the "Hot" motor you sent with my plane wound with 11 or 12 turns? and was it 26g or 24g? I have been practicing with a couple of stators and want to try 8t of 22g in "wye". What do you think? it will be a 20mm stator though not a 22.7mm like yours. I have made many full throttle flights since my last message, and am liking the plane more every flight. Once am proficient with it I will try one of these "Really Hot" motors you are talking about.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 09:37 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
I've been flying my little beast on 3 calls 830. I can say only the same thing I heared from my buddies watching me flying: OH MY GOD !!!

Low rates, 60% expo and it tracks very well. I think the weight of the battery helps with high speed stability.

The first "Oh my God" I heard just after taking off. Second was when I pushed full throttle on the first low pass. The third one was when I gave a full aileron

With heavy battery it lands hot, but very stable and once on the ground Wind Buster slows down easy. Because we had a cross wind (as always) I landed across the runway - no problem with that. The battery last much longer than I can handle.

Every time I'm at the flying field with my Wind Buster I thank you, Brad. So much fun.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:21 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
RysiuM -

Do you actually ROG and land on the wheels?? I hand toss to launch, and when it comes time to land (need to breathe), I just kind of plop it down onto the softest looking patch. I break props every 10 landings or so...the white crease of impending doom at the hub.

- Felix
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:31 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
I've done both. Suprisingly it lands very well on the wheels and strangely enough I haven't broke or even "creased" a prop when landing on the wheels. It's much easier on my heart when I search for the soft spot though I personnally prefer to hand launch but have ROG'd a couple of times. Either way it still is one of the most fun planes I've flown in a long time!! The roll rates still blow me away!!
Old Sep 14, 2004, 12:35 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
I got my new wing built and painted in about a hour. Seems to fly the same. It was not much fun sanding the airfoil in the wing. Airmover definitely has value in his kit.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Sep 14, 2004, 01:25 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster
RysiuM -
Do you actually ROG and land on the wheels?? I hand toss to launch,
This thing is so small, that I might actually toss it backwards

I never hand launch it, as it's to fast for me to look at the plane and at the transmitter (to fast grab the right sticks) at such critical moment as taking off. I do that with bigger and easier to handle planes. WindBuster rolls very well, as long as it takes of to the wind (no rudder, so cross wind is not a good thing an take off and landing).

Here in Sacramento Valley there is no such thing as "soft spot". Grass is so dry, that it just grabs the plane - it's like running into the tree or bush. The safest place is just land on dirt or pavement.

RysiuM
Old Sep 14, 2004, 03:57 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
I just toss mine for me .. its a well practiced habit.. I tend to luanch nose up and let it climb out fast.. well away from mother earth... Rysium the 20in span does well with Rogs.. have you tried the race wing yet? Ty for the kind words.. these little racers really do cuase alot of attention from the fellows at the field.. its fun to just puase a bit prior to flyin ..allows time for words of wit from those who never seen one fly.. words such as how cute.. and does it have enough power.. and will it hold a loop.. and hows the roll rate.. fun when they pick them up and eyeball the setup and check the weight.. scratch there heads and ask if its been tested yet..fun to hear the guys screaming and acting like kids again... as you scorch the runway, into a out of sight vertical climb...even more kick butt when you spin it as its climbing.. also nice when someone yells.. I want one!!!

Bob, a 8T 22g will be a tad mild..on 12mag 12pole but on 6mag 6pole should be worth trying.
On the Hot motor Bob its a 24g motor 11 or 12t not sure what I did .. too many motors ago to remember...

Who wants a JET!!!!!!! if you have a motor fan unit I will make you one.. I cant supply the shroud and fan.. just the motor for it and the plane.
Old Sep 14, 2004, 04:25 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR MOVER
Rysium the 20in span does well with Rogs.. have you tried the race wing yet?
My "trainer wing" in on the shefl after first day of flying. I fly on racing wing only now. I found the trainer wing to slow for my motor (I keep limit to 10A as I have only CC10 on it). I was surprised, that racing wing is the same way very stable as a bigger one (just the roll rate insane ).

Now If I can make a kind of slick body (cover) to hide all electronics and the battery, it would be much faster. All these square pieces give a lot of drag.

RysiuM
Old Sep 14, 2004, 04:36 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
Amen Rysium!! But that dirty airframe sounds very menacing at 70+ mph from such a small Beast!!!
Old Sep 14, 2004, 04:53 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
Maybe a vacuum formed cowl? Tthat would be cool, and not hard to do. As long as you have your own vacuum forming machine that is!

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
Old Sep 14, 2004, 05:32 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Well if your willing I can make up some fuses..just say the word who wants one..best if you get a new set of tail feathers for it too... the fuse will have to hide the batts thats going to set the pace for how wide I will have to go..and no landing gear or with?
Old Sep 14, 2004, 05:34 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
I will post a pic of the first one that goes out so you can see what they look like..you can imagine its going tobe slick!!
Old Sep 14, 2004, 05:56 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,592 Posts
Without landing gear, but as small and narrow as possible. Let me know how much. please post a photo, I kinda like the noise, but the extra speed would be cool !!