Old Aug 19, 2004, 09:03 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR MOVER
notch servo allows you to park the rubberband
As my WindBuster has CF boom I gued a piece balsa for elevator servo mount. My rubber bands were very tight, but the servo still was moving in the air screwing up my trim. So I use a piece of double sticky tape between balsa and servo to hold it in place and then wrapp all with rubber bands. Now servo stays in place.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:54 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,593 Posts
Hi AirMover,
do you have a stencil for the WindBuster logo? Seems a waste of good advertisement not to have it on all your planes.
Now to all the rest of you, Where are you setting your CG? I was thinking like 1 1/4in. Any of you with the 16in wing have it set up different than that?
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Aug 19, 2004, 02:40 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
WinD Buster! humm didnt work.. but I used Matisse ITC large W large B and ! set at 36 the rest at 24
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Last edited by AIR MOVER; Aug 19, 2004 at 02:43 PM.
Old Aug 19, 2004, 10:52 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,593 Posts
Thanks Brad,
What do you do from here, cut it out and use it as a stencil?
Old Aug 19, 2004, 11:34 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Well you can buy some of that clear sticky back printing plastic and print out a few and then just cut them out. I use black as it seems to work with any color wing tip I choose..I ran up a motor today that spins 45.4k with a 3X1.25 cox tee dee 10 prop... the sound of the prop was intresting to say the least it went from sonic to super sonic overdrive ...this sucker was blowing over 10oz of static thrust!!!!!!. the esc was happy at a mere..6.8amps...unloaded in the air is prob close to 50K... dont dare try this with the gws 3030 the prop would yeld and sling blades at me for sure... I have tested it up to 36k and backed off.... jet like sounds and tremendous static thrust... If anyone wants a 2mm shaft motor for the 3030's let me know... I used 1mm mags however I can also use 2mm mags ... possible speeds in the 70mph zone.. this ones for those who love the sound of a prop spinning very fast.. I will wire them up to hit in the 36k range but wont over do it for fear of shearing the prop blade off the hub...if you can get ahold of some tee dee 10 props then you can have the hotter wind for 45k.. a sure sound deleight for speed freaks....but the pitch wont allow you to go faster then about 60mph.
Old Aug 22, 2004, 05:16 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Here is a comparison of the current wing thats being flown by most of you.
the other is the 13.5..the amount of drag reduction is easy to see.. In flight you need aprox 35-45% dailed in on low rates for sure...otherwise you wont be able to even control it for more then a blink of an eye the roll rate is outstanding and you will over control it striaght into trouble. ..thanks to low rates you can find this wing tracks very well..and as you can imagine the wind doesnt have a chance to push it around.. its so fast so clean ..and can be out of sight fast... onlookers will freak as they loose sight and regain in awe as it screams past..this one will get you to the 100mph mark with the 2mm hot motor...its been loaded down with 1320's and for me landing isnt a issue..in heavy wind it can hover in on those size batts....I enjoy the lighter 860's with a 5T motor with this wing .. the new 730's are ideal. The 3030 prop works perfect with the smaller wing..the prop has less chance to slip with a light set up..and the low drag wing you can actually get solid vertical ...with the current hot motor and 4040 the plane would be a blur in vertical..the 2mm shaft for the 3030 and the smaller size of the 3030 balance better in size and looks...and most of the sound of the prop cranking out hyper sonic sounds as it wizzzes by is a real crowd pleaser....If you guys still want a jets this motor has the rpms to run down 730's at a reasonble pace ..I tested the 3blade rotor from the gws50 ..and was happy to see 38k....also have tested the 3blade on the nose of the sparrow plane and found it to run near the same speeds as with a 3030...less vertical though....this is with the higher pitched 3blade, the motor must use the 2mm bearings.. the second pic is a finished tooth pick...sculpted out of a gunther now its a 3.3X4.4..thinned down the airfoil quite a bit.. this lil guy has better thrust then a gws 3030 yet still is thin enough to turn up near the same rpm's...play around with prop tip shapes if you try it....this old school prop tip style was done to copy the flavor of the original prop...I feel the better high performance tips would yeld top results...my next sculpture will have tips like on my wings.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 01:37 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Shot down over the skies of Southern California

Good new and bad news. First the good news. I have a new speed record for my Wind Buster. 75mph average!!!! The wind was blowing a little and I did upwind passes at 71mph and downwind passes at 78mph. These were out of dives from about 200ft up, diving at about 35 degrees. Flat and level flight speeds were about 60mph.

Now the bad news. After a few speed runs, I was going about 70mph and BAM, it exploded. It went from 70 to 0 in about 5 feet. The back of the wing split in two and flew off the plane. The front had flipped around, creating an air brake before facing the wrong direction. This all happened about 50 feet up. The remaining plane crashed straight down in the grass. Total damage: Broken wing and prop! Wow, canít complain about that. Iíll just cut out a new wing and sheíll be ready to go again. I can even reuse the ailerons. I was not sad in the least and actually was laughing. I just wish I had video of it.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:30 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
if you have all the parts you can glue it all back together lil sanding and whallah..done it myself...when I crashed .. now I remember you mentioned flutter problems.. flutter could have been weakening the wood and cuased fractures till it gave out at high speed... make sure when you redo the wires to the aelirons...the wire is a snug fit in the horns..and if need be .. rap a rubberband around the servo on the underside keeps the servo very secure to the wing helps avoid play..that induces that flutter..bummer the wing failed... glad it was minimal.. normaly is.. there so light ..and over grass your odds are good for a reasonble recovery... =}
Old Aug 23, 2004, 03:59 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
If you want to fly faster and give up alittle vertical performance.. you can go for a cut down 5043's to 3043 for 36k.. amps low enough to use the 730's..the 13.5wing would give you some more heart thumping .. eye tearing fun....lol..
Old Aug 23, 2004, 02:55 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,593 Posts
Hybris helped me get mine dialed in. I've got to tell you, I fly alot of really fast planes so that really isn't much of an issue, but this LiL' Beastie turns soo fast and gets around you so quick unless your used to flying such small fast planes it's a real handful!!! I dorked mine 3 times, once at 2/3 throttle from about 30ft and not even a broken prop!! After the 3rd time hybris showed me the problem, to much expo made the servo ineffective then it came on too fast and she would roll like she was on a drill motor!! Also my plane is 2in shorter in the nose than hybris', made it harder to balance. Once all was tuned she flew just fine. It will be a couple of weeks before I really let 'er go full throttle though. After hybris' plane blew up (it was very cool to see, I was holding the radar gun and it blew up at 72mph) we pretty much called it a day. I went back later that afternoon and got 3 more good flights in and I'm flying it at about 2/3rd's throttle now. About 60mph and 10mins. That was about all the Aortal olympics I could stand for 1 day with that much wind. Looking forward to afternoon getaways to the park!!! Hopefully very soon I'll be ready for that new dual strand 8mag motor and a 13in wing !! YEE-HAA!!!!
Old Aug 23, 2004, 05:42 PM
Zurich, Switzerland
Joined Oct 2002
899 Posts
Air Mover,

there is a new small Graupner CAM 4x3 prop available, performs way better than a GWS 4x4 and can handle much higher rpms!
I don't know if or where they are available in the US, I bought mine from www.hoellein.com.
Try them, I am sure you will like them...

-Kris-
KrisS is offline Find More Posts by KrisS
Old Aug 23, 2004, 07:01 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
KrisS the 3pitch prop wont put out the speed of a 4pitch prop without having to spin alot more rpm's...the hub is more robust and they weigh more..for cd rom type motors thus far the gws props have been the lightest and seem to put out the most power from the motor..Graupner has a 3x3 prop too.. not sure of exact size... but read about it 3 months ago.
Old Aug 29, 2004, 07:34 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Any new reports with the Radar gun? .. how did the 2strand 26g motor work out?
Old Aug 29, 2004, 10:28 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR MOVER
Any new reports with the Radar gun?
I don't have radar but I used to record a sound of passing plane to calculate it's speed using doppler effect. Funny thing, this one is so quiet, so I can't record anything
For my motor I found the best configuration on three cells and 3.5x4 prop (cuctom cut from GWS prop). It is fast. And because it's so small it's even faster. Everybody at our field was impressed. I have 55 expo on low rates and still it's squirly like hell. It rolls something like 10 rolls per second, and even more on high rates (to fast to count them). However landings are easy. Now I need 3 cells 830 Apogee for it, as Kokam 340 don't hold long.

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium