Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Aug 17, 2004, 11:15 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
744 Posts
The real enemy of going any faster is drag. I like the simple stick and rubber band design, but it would be interesting to build a clean fuselage for it. I was thinking of just shaping some blue foam around the stick and components to see if there is an improvement. I havenít dorked mine yet, so I am not too worried about durability in a crash. Do you think there is anything to the under camber? I was wondering if we could get more speed with a flat wing. Lets get rid of the wing all together!
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 17, 2004, 01:10 PM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Fontana, California, United States
Joined Jul 2004
27,249 Posts
Yah why not? We could make like an X-15. It's light enough, with the right elevon set-up...... Ha Ha!!! Are you going to bring your radar Saturday? I will have mine there with a couple of different motor combo's. Really anxious to see what works and what goes on the shelf for some Draggy-Scaley thing.
rvincent is offline Find More Posts by rvincent
Old Aug 17, 2004, 01:22 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvincent
I will have mine there with a couple of different motor combo's.
Guys, show me you rmotor mounts. I don't like the one I built. Do you adjust thrust line (up-down / left-right) ? I'm just looking for some ideas I can borrow

RysiuM
rysium is offline Find More Posts by rysium
Old Aug 17, 2004, 01:23 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
744 Posts
I have the carbon fuse rod. You can see the mount a few pages ago. My plane is with the blue fade leading edge. It is mounted straight in line with the fuse.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 09:36 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Hybris try a 5043 cut to 4043... lil extra pitch try at 3843 for little more rpm... when your ready I have a hotter motor able to take advantage of some extra run time.
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Aug 18, 2004, 07:58 AM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Now I'm ready for some thrill
Profile plastic wheels, racing wing (trainer wing ended up on the shelf), strong straight motor mount (thanks guys for all your responses, e-mails and PMs). 3 cells 700, GBL custom motor 15T 25G delta with 12 5x53x2 magets spining 3.5x4 (cut from GWS 5x4) at 30k rpm on the ground. Pictures...soon.

Thanks, Brad.

RysiuM
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:41 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,249 Posts
Hey Airmover,
Is that motor for hybris the same one I just got from you? Or is this a new one even yet? PM me with the details of that winding and stats please.
Thanks,
Bob
Old Aug 18, 2004, 11:49 AM
Renegade Fun Forever!!
Joined Jul 2004
27,249 Posts
Hi rysium,
What is the amp draw on that motor static? Can't wait to get up there and exchange notes and test results for different motors & battery + prop combos!! 30K is better than anything I have static for sure. Even the newest hottest from Aimover that I just got won't turn those #'s. What does that plane weigh with 3 cells? Mine comes in at 3.7oz's with a 2 cell TP730 gen II.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 01:13 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Bob, 30k is done with delta and 3cells.. if you want cut a prop to 3540 you will need higher rpm to reach enough thrust.. I have had 3030 turning 34k but the thrust wasnt to great.. the wider 4040 blades and the higer pitch help.. your current hot motor wont eat up the amps..in the air... the 700packs rysium is going to use should be well taxed..the 12mags help and the 3cell voltages.. should get him about 6.5mins of airtime... getting 30k costs amps..these are ways to beat the problem... looking forward to hearing Rysium's results and yours with the 2stranded motor.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 02:20 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIR MOVER
Bob, 30k is done with delta and 3cells..
Correct. Delta gives me the power, 12 magnets torque, and 30K is still OK for CC10. 3 cells = around 9.5V with 9-10A (I know I abuse them as they are rated for 5A but still quite good at 8A).

Quote:
if you want cut a prop to 3540 you will need higher rpm to reach enough thrust..
Correct again Static thrust (calculated) is 6.5oz, measured way over 5oz. The plane RTF weights 5oz (sharp) and goes up like crazy. The good thing about this motor is that it's running at very good efficiency. And because it's wide open (5 huge holes in front plate) it's running stone cold.

Quote:
the 700packs rysium is going to use should be well taxed..
If you mean "abused" than YES I'm thinking about replacing them with some rated for higher amps. Maybe 3s2p 340 - it wil be good for 13A.

Quote:
should get him about 6.5mins of airtime...
The flight on 3s1p 340 was way to short (as it's always when you have a lot of fun).

Quote:
looking forward to hearing Rysium's results
I'm going to measure the speed and in flight rpm this weekend. I willpost it here.

RysiuM
Old Aug 18, 2004, 03:45 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
The faster you go the more thrust you need to overcome drag..soo many motor tests have shown me that over rev without the torque.. leaves you with less over all speed... the prop is slipping.. rather then grabbing the air and using it with every revolution... there are increadible jumps in rpm and amps based on what size prop you go with.. a 5in pitch doesnt have to spin as fast as a 4in as we know .. in order to go 100 we really need more pitch.. a 3.650 would be worthy at 25k
5oz of thrust with 120mph prop tip speeds on just 2cells 9amps inflight loads...if there is enough thrust to overcome drag ...
Hybris is getting 67mph with a 4pitch prop the 5043cut down to 3843 should get him around 75mph... a carbon 5x5 gunther cut down to 3.650 should get the hot motor.. around 85mph, the white gunther is a 4.5in prop if I recall....the new hot motor is faster in the rpm but also gains run time .. you have options 4.3in / 4.5in /5in props are ways to increase speed and scrub off some run time.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 04:00 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
744 Posts
I may try cutting down the 5043 to 3843. Cutting the Gunther props looks difficult. The end is more complicated than the GWS.

I look forward to comparing the rvincent's TP730 with my Apogee 830s. I'll break out the wattmeter and scale. rvincent, I hope you are using deans micro plugs not those crummy jst connectors still.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 04:23 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
the gunther airfoil is thicker gives more lift as I found with the props in this pic.. the typical 4040 in the back and a 4045 and 3.345..easy to do with a few metal files and some fine sandpaper..the bottom pic is the 13.5 wing very fast even on a 3030.. blistering speeds with a 4040...if you getting 67with the hot motor and 4040 the 13.5 wing should get you in the lower 80's its just a 3X13.5 span wing.. compare to the 4X16.25..there is alot less wing but still comes in fine on lighter cells.. any setup under 1.5oz of batt weight will work.
Old Aug 18, 2004, 10:58 PM
Why not Delta?
Sacramento, CA
Joined Jun 2003
1,714 Posts
My WindBuster

Just in case how mine looks like here are the pictures:

1 - Front view - this much drag the plane has
2 - Side view - see my plastic profile wheels.
3 - All electronics with the elevator servo
4 - How I see it, when it flies inverted
5 - My custom GBL motor - now mount is solid as a rock.

RysiuM
Old Aug 19, 2004, 12:31 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Here are some pics the rubber around the aileron servo keeps the wing more level in the back...=)
notch servo allows you to park the rubberband
battery clip holds the motor in place.. and releases in a wreck.