HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 31, 2004, 02:37 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Andrew make sure you have pressed the bell back down all the way the nylon washer has to seat inside the bearing groove.. if its not snaped into place all the way the motor wont run right.. Mark had the same problem at first after he pushed it in all the way the motor worked great.. =) you want the stator close to flush with the back of the bell.. also factory settings are ideal for these motor .. Shawn from CC told me theres no need to adjust timeing.. Im not sure what your set at now.. but the common cuase is simply not feeling or hearing the nylon washer seating in the bearing houseing.. it clicks in..push and turn the bell till you feel this happen.
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Last edited by AIR MOVER; May 31, 2004 at 02:39 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old May 31, 2004, 07:29 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
The stock setting should work. I however had better luck with high advance timing. A buddy of mine also uses hard start on his outrunner.
hybris is offline Find More Posts by hybris
Old May 31, 2004, 07:58 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Yea I dont use soft start.. however with a gear box im sure its a plus... Hybris do you have anyone that can work your radar gun.. or vid?
Old Jun 01, 2004, 12:22 AM
USA, IN, Greenwood
Joined May 2002
342 Posts
THANKS for the info fritz and Brad, Ill give it a try! I have a thunder power 860 to start with, gonna need a couple more packs though. Is anything getting hot Fritz?
and Id love to knwo the size of the fuse too!
Mark
mcrabby311 is offline Find More Posts by mcrabby311
Old Jun 01, 2004, 12:31 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Brad-
Yes, I do have someone to hold the radar gun. The problem is that I have to fly the plane right at the gunner to reduce cosine effect. If it is not straight in, the reading is lower than actual. When I got the most accurate measurement on my VIP pylon racer, it flew 122mph over my head. I couldn't move my head fast enough and I lost it for a couple of seconds. Anyway, I won't get a chance until next weekend.
Old Jun 01, 2004, 12:36 AM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Oh ya, the fuse is 1/8" OD and 15 1/2" long. There is about 2 1/2" in front of the wing. Brad suggested to shorten the nose about 1".
Old Jun 01, 2004, 01:03 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
yes its a ( look) factor .. dont you think it looks alittle long in the nose.. normally I wouldnt send it with that much nose.. try a 3/4 in.. off ? that should make it look better.. it adds no other advantage other then looks... also shorter nose will help make the front end stronger less chance of splintering the carbon if you should wreck.. all the same its up to you.. im just picky lol.. And cool hope your able to gun it.. perhaps with a little more pitch in the prop.. the 4040 is the best all around, but not the fastests setup.. wish I had a radar gun
Mark.. the motors static thrust will be high .. it will warm up the motor for sure.. but in the air thats where the majic starts and you drop 2 to 3 amps depending on prop selection. I have tested and tested winds and gages till I was able to find the best performance .. with room to prop for max speed or best mix of duration and speed... When your ready to go for the gold you can use 3cell packs of hot 830's with a 3.3X4.3 that prop wont over heat the motor on 3cells.. also a 3540 .
Old Jun 02, 2004, 08:51 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
I finished the build and went out for a test flight today. This little beastie is FAST! Pranged it into tall grass a few times while trying to trim it out. No damage. I think I need some downthrust or down elevator mixed in with throttle. Thanks Brad for the plane, I am going to enjoy flying it. What do you have planned for next besides the jet?

- Felix
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster
Old Jun 02, 2004, 09:13 PM
Mark Imbriaco
Chesapeake, VA
Joined Apr 2003
259 Posts
Brad, just checking in to see if the last few made it out last Friday/Saturday. I haven't seen it yet, but with the holiday it's quite possibly just delayed, just want to know if I should keep an eye out for it.

-Mark
NeuronBasher is offline Find More Posts by NeuronBasher
Old Jun 04, 2004, 12:02 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Hey guys im back! we had a tornado .. very bad storm came through knocked me out of power for last three days..I was able to work on everyones requests.. now im back I can look up the names and addresses and get your goodies out..all my infomation was on the net....had half a million people out the first night..worst outage this local elect co. has ever had they said..
Was rough no power but we all made do..I used a motor and car battery swinging a 9047 for airflow.. will be getting orders out .. just need to get them organized.
Brad
Old Jun 04, 2004, 12:50 PM
Houston, TX
Joined May 2003
749 Posts
Well Brad, now you need to make a Tornadobuster.
Old Jun 04, 2004, 12:52 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Mark gotcha coverd..

Felix.. I want to get some use out of the high thrust motors I have been working with.. I have found the most power possible for a single stator motor.. with a 2cell pack of lipoly's .. I would like a 3D plane to horse around in the sky.. one that wont be fussy with the wind.. a mix of speed and acro .. what do you guys think?
Old Jun 05, 2004, 12:43 PM
USA, IN, Greenwood
Joined May 2002
342 Posts
grrrrrr

Ok, I still hate soldering...lol. heres a few pics. I soldered up my PH-10 to the motor, added battery connect, geez, this this looks like an anaconda next to my plane. Do you guys cut down your leads much on your controller? I hated to do that on a $50 ESC. What I have sure seems to be alot to bundle up, but gonna try, at least til it hits the scale. Im gonna be mad if this thing gets "porky". Geez Brad, how in the world did you ever get that plug soldered so close to the motor?
I used a 2 cell 1020 Etech Lipo to program ESC and run motor. Ran fast, maybe 2 minutes, the began to slow down...warm pack, cool motor. Brad, I had some 6X3 HD props, I cut them to 4"...looks cloe to same chord. Motor seem to have alot of thrust. I need to rig something to check amp draw. Oh, ESC was cool too. Well, maybe finish this up tonight...I hope!
Still looking for your jet Brad, and sure, if you want to try out that acro idea, I may be interested in that!
Mark
Old Jun 05, 2004, 12:58 PM
USA, IN, Greenwood
Joined May 2002
342 Posts
Hey Brad, Ive been thinking about a profile Edge540 windbuster, Balsa profile fuse, with carbon rod for strength...maybe 20 inch span. I was wondering how many amps you think the hot motor can take? Do you have a guess as to how much prop would be max?? I may take a crack at sanding a 20" wing in the shape of and edge, and profile fuse, may in 1/32 ply sandwiching 1/16 balsa...3 servos, would have to have rudder. What do you think???
Mark
Old Jun 05, 2004, 01:35 PM
Live for speed
USA, CT, Bethany
Joined Mar 2004
1,371 Posts
During a splat landing onto grass, I managed to seperate the motor from the aluminium tube. I pushed it back on but would like to know if I should CA it in place.

I sure would be interested in little acrobat that can fly in wind. However I think form should follow function. Rather than trying to take an Edge/Yak etc and turn it into a Windbuster, we should let Brad come up with a design that works well. I am sure the shape will be sleek and pleasing.
GoFaster is offline Find More Posts by GoFaster