HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 04, 2004, 01:06 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
I think the CD motors might be able to handle more than the 3030 props when it comes down to it. There is discussion in another thread about making a smaller BL controller. Although 6 grams isn't much for a 10 amp P-10 controller, lighter is better

Justin
roccobro is offline Find More Posts by roccobro
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 04, 2004, 01:10 PM
FOAMYHOLIC
Weatherford, Texas
Joined Jul 2003
102 Posts
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice that huge rubber band. I just stuck that on there to take the pic.
I am using a velcro strap to hold the battery on. I am using an old motor off of a retired SuperFlea. It turns a 3x3 at 16,000 so I figured it was good. It flew good considering how small it is. It needs more speed though, when you make a turn it falls off quit a bit. more speed will fix that problem. I had a little trouble holding it inverted, but that was probably due to the lack of power. I could dial in alittle more elev. and fix it also. I had to hand launch it, it just did doughnuts when trying to take off from the ground. Did the same doughnut when I landed. (no rudder)
I will tell you this much you better keep your eyes on it, they are so little that it doesn't take much to get dissoriented. Its cool to see the look on the guys at the field when you pull this little thing out.

I used sharpie's for the coloring.
spadforme is offline Find More Posts by spadforme
Old Mar 04, 2004, 01:25 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
sounds good Spad.. try some toe in for the spinning out problem and check make sure the tail skid is straight you have to tweak the landing gear to make um track.. I tend to just handluanch over grass and grass land them so its never been a big issue for me . I have one that tracks on the parking lot fine.. so I know it can be done.. lil right thrust helps on ground tracking too. for sure a tweaker type issue.. yes looked like ink .. fast n simple most of all light .. 2.8oz is a good flying weight.. If you try a new motor you should see some more performance..Does it fly faster then the Super Flea? also for fast upgrade in speed a 4.8v motor with a cut down 3030 to 2530 would gain you some more speed.. and falling out of the turns mine yanks and banks on a new gws50 7.2v on 3030 could be lil out of balance when you chop the throttle and go into glide mode up high see how it reacts.. and yes for there size they fly very well... I always have fun flying this lil guy among the bigger slower electrics .. always a eye catcher ..
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Old Mar 04, 2004, 01:31 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
yes Justin .. they can the one I use is a 13t 26g 9pole star winding..drawing about 4.5amps on the 340mah cells with the 3030 .. I can use my 830mah TP packs with 4040 and its around 5.3amps draw .. just a matter of finding the right prop amp draw combo for the cells your useing.. with the 4040 its scary fast and punches vertical from a level crawl .. to striaght up at about 35mph real thrill for me..
Old Mar 04, 2004, 01:45 PM
FOAMYHOLIC
Weatherford, Texas
Joined Jul 2003
102 Posts
Its about the same as the SuperFlea, mabye a little faster, and the flea had 2 gws 50's on it. The flea wasn't very fun to fly, until I put a DD Razor 400 with a 4x4.5 prop. Then it was ballistic. You could probably get about MACH 5 with a DD Razor on one of these little Busters.

I've got a good 15gr cd rom that I am going to rewind with about 11 turns of 26 and delta to get as many rpm's as I can. Probably with a 3x3.
spadforme is offline Find More Posts by spadforme
Old Mar 04, 2004, 11:25 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
wow hehe faster then the flea that had double motors well that is good ..I figured it was the fastest marketed gws 50 plane on the surface of the planet so far so good lol ty Spad for the report..=)
Old Mar 05, 2004, 03:13 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Looking forward to seeing more completed planes guys.. keep up the good work !!!!!!!
Last edited by AIR MOVER; Mar 05, 2004 at 03:20 AM.
Old Mar 05, 2004, 06:35 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
498 Posts
I am looking forward to getting...er.. completing my plane too! I know, I know...a masterpiece takes time. The Sistine chapel tooks years to perfect, I guess a over a month is not that long.
phoneguy is online now Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old Mar 05, 2004, 08:18 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
I feel our pain phoneguy. I am on the "list", but I just got my assortment of motors and props in the mail today. Had fun breaking those in, now I want my plane

Justin
Old Mar 05, 2004, 09:37 PM
Tarpon Springs, FL
Joined Apr 2002
498 Posts
It is not ready a pain, it is the dull ache as I sit there....waiting for the glimps of the USPS Truck, only for it to drop off a few bills and mock me. Yes, mail truck I AM TALKING TO YOU....STOP MOCKING ME....STOP MOCKING ME!!!!!! AAAAAUUURRRGGG!!!

It has just occured to me to do certains things....

1. Stop reading the works of Poe.
2. Increase my medication
3. Tighten the buckles on my "Wrap Around Dinner Jacket"
4. Decrease the voltage during "therapy" sessions
5. Refuse any stock advice from Martha Stewart
6. Send in resume written on olive loaf for CEO position at Dinsey.

"1 out of 4 Americans suffer from a mental illness."

Take three of your closest friends, if you can't find something wrong with them, guess what........
phoneguy is online now Find More Posts by phoneguy
Old Mar 05, 2004, 11:23 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
My mom always told me I'm special....

"Dear, where are my meds??"

Justin
Old Mar 06, 2004, 02:51 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
omg too funny and sad.. dang im feeling bad,.. I will have to next day air you the medication you need...perhaps you just develope a snare for the mail truck and hold it at bay till he fesses up the goods...or when the mail man isnt looking snag his lunch box each day till he gets the hint..
Old Mar 06, 2004, 10:16 AM
gwh
Fort Worth, Texas
Joined Dec 1996
1,609 Posts
I got a flight in on mine today. This thing is a blast to fly. I would recommend that people keep the aileron movment very small and make the first flights in broad daylight. The plane covers ground very quickly and it becomes very small very quickly when it is headed away from you.
gwh is offline Find More Posts by gwh
Last edited by gwh; Mar 06, 2004 at 03:00 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2004, 01:38 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
yess always recomended low rates till you get used to it.. and tis truely a speedy plane huh lol lil guy goes bye bye fast away from you and leaves you iching to turn it back around before it gets too far away.... I normally keep mine within 300ft and it gets that ground covered fast..

Well done GWH glad your enjoying the lil racer as much as I have..
Last edited by AIR MOVER; Mar 06, 2004 at 01:41 PM.
Old Mar 06, 2004, 03:13 PM
Watts your motivation
San Bernardino, CA
Joined Aug 2003
6,512 Posts
How slow can we get this bird to go without stalling?

I found a good deal on the EDF-50 4.8v "hot" motors. At Balsapr.com they have a deal for the EDF-50B for $11. The replacement motors alone cost the same but they don't have the wires. Anybody try the EDF 5 blade rotor on their plane fir kicks? I'm going to set up a trust test stand to check the differences between the 2030X5 and the 3030 props. THe 5 blade prop runs a full amp less current than the 3030 on the 4.8v motor, but moves ALOT of air outside the duct

Justin