Last pylon motor pic.
Rad Racer is offline Find More Posts by Rad Racer
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2004, 09:52 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Yes im going to test this motor when it gets in on a 3030 with kokam 340's and thunder power 850's.....The goal of the special wind is to reach 100mph or atleast get that in a shallow dive.. and down wind pases I hope to exceed 100mph...I will be developing a plane taylor made for the cd rom motor blending the best size wing and airfoil thickness and makeing it robust enough to withstand the forces on the airframe at high speeds..
The goal is to get speed and vertical without haveing to overprop...I have tested the yellow wingtip plane on a cd rom motor that had less rpm .. and was close to pure vertical Im hopeing the custom motor will do the trick with a 3030 or a 402.5
Wayne has been kind enough to offer his help and will be testing some windbusters with diffrent motor winds and props ..an batts.. to help reach straight line speeds of a hunderd.. once we are ready the idea is to release a limited run of ready to fly planes with the custom motors installed and two props to get you started.. this will happen in about a month .. the run will be for 30 planes ready to fly..all you will need is your radio gear and batts.. Im not sure but I dont think anyone else is making a effort to provide small park flying planes able to reach 100 mph without haveing to speed big bucks to get there .. The goal is to make them safe for park flying by keeping them under 4oz all up weight. Also I will be sending out the mass build this comeing week .. the gws50 size planes will help hone your skills to fly faster with the next generation planes comeing soon..
AIR MOVER is offline Find More Posts by AIR MOVER
Last edited by AIR MOVER; Feb 07, 2004 at 10:06 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2004, 02:23 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
spring steel clip. not a copper fuse clip.. .. allows the motor to pop free under stress.. lol

This is going tobe the motor supplied with the next batch of planes once I have found the best windings and prop combo to keep you in the 340mah to 800mah range.. under 4oz all up....
Last edited by AIR MOVER; Feb 08, 2004 at 02:26 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2004, 02:23 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Here is the latest.. with the production motor.. This plane was born to fly fast...yet it will slow down very nice and wont tip stall hard.. will test the new motor on this plane sunday.. testing for its habbits..should show everything it is with the cd rom motor .

weight 2.7oz
thrust was measured 4.3oz static
prop 3030

prop 3020 3.5oz static
Last edited by AIR MOVER; Feb 08, 2004 at 03:05 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2004, 03:47 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
This plane flew with a thicker airfoil it produces more draggggggg.. but the extra lift in turns made it a fast pylon racer...the turns where not lacking in sharpness ..around 30ft...in dia at my adverage effort.. It was entering the turn at over 60mph... not bad for a fat wing.....Full throttle swan dives from the heavens.. .. had me over 65mph paralle of the wind.. which was blowing 10 to 15mph and gusty around 20mph.. from a steep near vertical climb into the wind.. to around 400ft which only took a count to 6... I hammerhead turned the screamming beast at me...busting the 70mph mark with the help of the wind..I use to hear the whistleing of the wing tips... with the gws.. now I hear the noise of the prop like a ducted fan prop..ewwah did I ever perk up and pay attention as within seconds it was past me and way down range.. I used the momentum and eased up the elevator to allow a smooth fast power climb from the extra boost from the wind.. it was tiny and way high .. but I chopped throttle to half and watched it munch through the head wind at a more relaxing pace....It can putt putt along with the thicker foil.. makeing the wing ideal for large 1 to 2oz brushless and brushed motors... your limit is cell size 1500's if your good and irate 850's if you want a tame wingloading....
On the 3030 prop into the wind was reasonable like a typical gas plane down wind is a mix of prop sounds and blurring speeds.. This thick yellow wing is not as thin as the green wing which works sooooooo very very well on the gws50 ....
The beta motor at 5.3g is better suited to the Green wing or Orange wing...
5.3g motor is light enough for the job despite its power, the frame can handle it and the wings will too.
The new plane in testing is not for newbies......
Early testing with the gws50 went well and proved tobe faster then the green wing but not as stable..
Since then I have been dialing in the critical CG...which has shown to make it very stable and able to groove and climb higher on the same duplicted gear..
If the weather is kind... the custom motor will be tested with it's possible new Windbuster 100

Within a few weeks my partner and I will be ready to look at a mass build... for a 30 unit run of these for fellow ezoner's You will be the first group to provide feedback.... and will help advance the masses into ......True Micro Speed 3D
Last edited by AIR MOVER; Feb 08, 2004 at 03:52 AM.
Old Feb 08, 2004, 06:02 PM
USA, IN, Greenwood
Joined May 2002
342 Posts
well, I guess I better practice up with the GWS 50 version,... because I'm gonna have to have one of those new ones Brad.
Nice work, keep it up!!!! Mark
mcrabby311 is offline Find More Posts by mcrabby311
Old Feb 08, 2004, 09:57 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Thankyou Mark!..
Well I went out and test flew the Orange Plane with the new motor.. useing a 3030..
about 3.5mins on kokams at full throttle
about 9mins on Thunder Power 830's
level flight was around 65mph to 70mph...
It really needs the 4040 on the 830's to reach 85mph
In dives it hualed going so fast I thought the wings might shear off... but it held up just fine.. Looks like this 13Turn motor will hit 100mph with a 4050.or 3550. I will make a modified prop from a 5043gws prop and try a 4043 .. im not sure what I can use for a 5pitch prop yet.. Thin blades not a apc props (thick at the hub) .. Its going to have tobe a gws prop or a custom carbon prop..to keep the motor happy.. and not over drawn in amps..
also a 3cell 340mah pack will most likely hit 85mph with a 3030 and I feel a 3cell 850 pack would be safe to use...weight wise...for good duration on a 4040
Very good duration on a 3020 with a modified blade to look like the 3030 .. loose lil thrust but gain rpm an run time....great with the light 2cell pack of 340's! speeds around 55-60
3030 seems to be the clear winner for small props and good speeds and 4040 for vertical on 2cell pack of 340's run time is low around 4mins if you use the throttle some...
Last edited by AIR MOVER; Feb 08, 2004 at 10:54 PM.
Old Feb 09, 2004, 09:57 AM
San Jose, California
Joined Jan 2002
1,199 Posts
Less flying, more shipping!

I want mine.

John
jbc455 is offline Find More Posts by jbc455
Old Feb 09, 2004, 11:45 AM
Mountain View Moffett Fd, California, United States
Joined Jul 2003
44 Posts
This plane looks like a lot of fun. Are you still taking orders? If so - I'd love one.

Thanx!
_Mike_
mwalker638 is offline Find More Posts by mwalker638
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:01 AM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Im shipping the goodies out weds.. tues im off to get boxes n boxes an more boxes =) then pack um up..ty again guys looking forward to everyone's enjoyment with them!
Old Feb 10, 2004, 08:51 AM
USA, IN, Greenwood
Joined May 2002
342 Posts
Gonna go clear the bench then...I have all but the batteries Brad, tell me what battery you think I should start with on this kit with GWS 50, all stock set up. Its the 340 lipo, right. Do you think a 500-700 2 cell would be too heavy? Also, whats the best weight for the plane your sending me? Looking forward to some fast flying, thatll be a nice change for me! Thanks Mark
Old Feb 10, 2004, 12:14 PM
Husband, Dad, Skydiver, RC'r
United States, NC, Waynesville
Joined May 2002
5,559 Posts
what's the back log on ordering one of these? I tried to send a PM but your box is full...
Bill K. is offline Find More Posts by Bill K.
Old Feb 10, 2004, 01:05 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Mark go to the first page of this thread the recomended gear is the very best the 340's give you plenty of run time on the gws50 anything else would degrade performance with that motor.. try to target your all up around 3oz..you will be amazed how well the airplane is suited for the output power of that motor..It took me alot of testing to get it down to the right size for best performance and still have a gental enough wingloading to make easy landings..Fly over grass if possible the at 3oz the plane can handle alot of rough and tumble.. fly over concret when you have had some practise landing..it.. useing larger batts is ok.. put you do suffer some perfomance at the cost of longer run times.. the plane can handle up to 850mah cells with the lil gws motor..
Old Feb 10, 2004, 01:09 PM
Master of the Wind
TEXAS
Joined Jun 2001
3,044 Posts
Bill.. its going tobe about 3 weeks down the road. Before I run another batch up.. I will PM you when im fixing to luanch another run..
Old Feb 10, 2004, 01:56 PM
USA, IN, Greenwood
Joined May 2002
342 Posts
Hey Rad Racer! What controller are you using on that cd-rom brushless motor I see posted above? Mark