HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 28, 2001, 05:47 PM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Aerial photography - first attempts

Evening chaps.

After looking at several ezoner's aerial photographs and enjoying ourselves so much with the extremely slow flying capabilities of the Multiplex Smiley the other evening my boy and myself decided to have a go at this aerial photography lark. Some clubmates expressed some interest in using aerial digital photos for real time search and rescue missions for some of their IC models that don't make it back to the field when their motors cut .

Prior to obtaining a cheap digicam for the purpose it was necessary to test whether the Smiley could carry the payload and get the pictures of the areas needed, so an old 35mm compact with motorwind was velcroed and taped to the fuselage and had a HS-60 with a servo horn cut into a cam shape installed to activate the shutter via a spare channel.

The Smiley lumbered across the strip but couldn't get unstuck without any wind assistance and a hand launch proved necessary. The rate of climb was compromised from the excellent results earlier in the week but eventually mission altitude was reached. The pilot-in-training on the buddy lead took some of the shots and the pilot-in-charge took some as well.The camera was set up to shoot along the wing, so aiming was merely a matter of pointing the wing at the target.

An example is posted at
http://hometown.aol.co.uk/leccyflyer...ge/garden.html

for anyone interested to see our flying site. We were pretty pleased with this for a first attempt. Another mission is planned tomorrow before we go digital.

It was fun!

cheers

Brian and Timmy (leccy's likkle lad)

[This message has been edited by leccyflyer (edited 07-28-2001).]
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 28, 2001, 06:13 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,124 Posts
Congrats Brian and Timmy! Just the first of many great shots, I'm sure.

Neil
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jul 28, 2001, 06:53 PM
Ascended Master
Palmdale, CA
Joined Oct 2000
13,382 Posts
Them're good photos.. the time of day is just right to get decent shadows for the terrain effects.
Sparky Paul
PJB's Seriously Aeronautical Stuff
Sparky Paul is offline Find More Posts by Sparky Paul
Old Jul 28, 2001, 07:06 PM
When the time is right
Hayward, CA
Joined Apr 2001
1,637 Posts
Good show Leccy, and what a beautiful field. That's two today and I'm green with envy, BTW what camera did you use?

Earl
Duke58 is offline Find More Posts by Duke58
Old Jul 28, 2001, 07:33 PM
Mississippi
Joined Jul 2000
755 Posts
Great job guys
Steve
cloudhopper is online now Find More Posts by cloudhopper
Old Jul 29, 2001, 12:13 AM
All under control, Grommit!
United Kingdom, Aberdeen
Joined Sep 2000
12,588 Posts
Thanks chaps

Earl - the camera is a poor quality Halina 35mm compact, fixed focus lens, picked up from a bargain bin in the local camera store for about ten pounds years ago with the intent of doing this. I really want to use a digital camera instead, so that we have the option of seeing the images as soon as we land to aid in finding those lost models. Putting my "proper" Nikon digicam on a model isn't really an option but there are plenty of cheapy models around that would be worth a try. I also have an old clunky camcorder that could come in useful, but the Smiley certainly could not cope with the weight of that.

As you can maybe see on the pictures our field is surrounded by waist-to- head high grass and weeds. The field itself is mown very short, twice or sometimes three times a week, allowing ROG for even quite small models- no problem for my son with a Lite Stik doing touch and goes that evening. The long grass on four sides is a boon for hand launching as it is very forgiving of a stalled or underpowered model, if you don't mind making use of the grass as a safety net- it also makes a very effective model arrestor for overcooked landings. Long, drawn-out, low angle approaches are definitely out though .

The main downside of the long grass is when a model lands well outside the mown area they can be very difficult to find, hence the air-sea rescue aspect of the photography.

Some of the other photos on the reel showed the variation in vegetation that every club member has experienced at some time when searching for a lost model. The dreaded model-eating ditch - filled with 8-10foot high grass and stinging nettles - is a most impressive feature from the air and would help with positioning.

cheers

Brian
leccyflyer is offline Find More Posts by leccyflyer
Old Jul 29, 2001, 12:54 AM
BEC
Auburn, Washington USA
Joined Jan 2001
12,937 Posts
Aerial photography is one of the things I really enjoy. My last two rolls (still using a several year old cheapie Vivitar 35mm) were taken from my LT-25 while on floats. One was shot at the site of the Northwest Seaplane Championships in Wamic, Oregon (Pine Hollow reservoir) just after the meet was over and the next a couple of days later at a lake called Mayfield Lake in a Washington State park part way home from Wamic. I should figure out a way to share some of these on the web.

Fun stuff. Enjoy!
BEC is offline Find More Posts by BEC
Old Jul 29, 2001, 01:36 AM
Profiled Interfractionalist
Tacoma,WA USA
Joined Jun 2001
3,960 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BCawley:
I should figure out a way to share some of these on the web.
Yes, along with some pics of your planes !
William A is online now Find More Posts by William A
Old Jul 29, 2001, 04:29 AM
Single-task at best...
Telford, UK
Joined Feb 2000
7,491 Posts
Timmy,

Waaaay to go, mate!!

It's nice to see you showing yer old Dad how to do it properly. I bet he doesn't get about too much at his age - it must be a bit of a treat for him!

BC,
http://www.squid-ink.com/hpn/rc-photos/index.htm

You know what to do.......

tim
tim hooper is offline Find More Posts by tim hooper
Old Jul 29, 2001, 10:06 AM
Santa Clara, CA, USA
Joined Sep 2000
1,550 Posts
Picture perfect.
Charles
jas_Qfix is offline Find More Posts by jas_Qfix
Old Jul 29, 2001, 10:12 AM
Restful User
Backwoods Alabama
Joined May 2000
3,861 Posts
Ah Leccy and the Leccy-clone. Why does the lad remind me of the Airtruk pilot in Mad Max/Thunderdome?

I've gotten some good photos with an inexpensve (US$35) fixed-focus 35mm "point and shoot". You've gone about it the right way-- test "proof of concept" with an inexpensive camera, then work upward.

Pop on over to Spark Paul's pages... he has some nice aerial photos, aerial photo planes.

--Bill
Jacques Flambeau is offline Find More Posts by Jacques Flambeau
Old Jul 29, 2001, 03:20 PM
Frederiksberg, Denmark
Joined May 2001
79 Posts
What digital cam ar epeople using for aerial photography ?

I'm also looking for an affordable digicam with acceptable quality for putting images on the web.

Any experience ?
http://www.zorck.dk/rc/wingo/
for my camera setup as well as images.

JJ
JensJakob is offline Find More Posts by JensJakob