HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:10 AM
Joined Apr 2013
87 Posts
hi,

How to connect the Tarot gimbal to the Futaba R2008SB and assign VR knob on the T8J for tilt Control?

I have just mounted the gimbal to my F550, and connected 12v Power (via UBEC).
The horizontal stabilization is smooth, but the vertical stutters when moving
Rolf65 is offline Find More Posts by Rolf65
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:14 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,348 Posts
As per the 1.3 update notes:
Quote:
Default mode parameter is added: If the gimbal stick mode channel is not connected to receiver , you can use this parameter to set up gimbal default stick mode.
So looks like no need to connect C now.

Also they noted this as well now:
Quote:
“Init Roll Angle” and “Init Tilt Angle” parameters are valid only in “stick rate mode(Mode1)”. In “stick
position mode(Mode2)” the gimbal angle is given by receiver. If you want to set the initial angle without
receiver, you must set the “Default Mode” to “stick rate mode(Mode1)”.
Seems to be no way to set an offset roll in positional mode, mine seems off a couple degrees and no means to level it.
flitelab is offline Find More Posts by flitelab
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:39 AM
Joined Jun 2012
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubsnews View Post
Flitelab, have you figured out a way to mount the Tarot to the Phantom that doesn't go through the battery floor plastic? I'm a little leery of that method as there is no reinforcement, only plastic. The two DJI mounts have metal inserts and beefed up plastic support.

Also, I notice that the Tarot only really needs maybe another inch or so clearance, do you have a standoff length recommendation? I have the Shapeways wide stance landing gear, but still waiting on the graphite tubing (I had to order way too much so if anybody needs any, I will have plenty of extra 6mm OD and .15in ID (3.81mm ID, a little bit thicker than the 4mm ID)).

I'm really interested in a more substantial/secure mounting solution for the Tarot gimbal if anybody has any suggestions?
I have one of these on it's way along with a gimbal.

Same two bolts as used for the GoPro, very easy to remove. So you could do what I intend to do (I'm not buying a deeper case ) attach at the field when flying, take off from two small pieces of wood to rest the legs on and catch it on landing to avoid grounding the camera. Or get really good at landing on the pieces of wood again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brushless-...item58a2459144

Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:42 AM
Joined Apr 2013
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael64 View Post
I connected mine straight to the receiver and all is well I would not connect it to the Naza at no need to do that. connect the P to your aux channel C to any open channel and than connect one of the two ground pins to the receiver and your done.

Michael64
I'm using T8J and the R2008SB TX. My channel 5 is free and assigned to the VR....but how do you setup the VR knob for tilt control?

Help please
Old Jul 19, 2013, 10:43 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandigan View Post
I have one of these on it's way along with a gimbal.

Same two bolts as used for the GoPro, very easy to remove. So you could do what I intend to do (I'm not buying a deeper case ) attach at the field when flying, take off from two small pieces of wood to rest the legs on and catch it on landing to avoid grounding the camera. Or get really good at landing on the pieces of wood again.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Brushless-...item58a2459144

Not sure how that is going to work to allow access to the 2 screws with the gimbal mounted.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:19 AM
Flying wild - Cph. Denmark
Denmark
Joined Apr 2005
260 Posts
Anyone been adjusting initial roll and pitch, using the new 1,3 software that came with the firmware.
When I change the default values and press enter, there is ?????? Signs below in the window.
changing rc sensitivity goes ok, so something is off.

Anyone?
WhiteDog is offline Find More Posts by WhiteDog
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:20 AM
Canada, NS, Halifax
Joined Feb 2010
7,348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog View Post
Anyone been adjusting initial roll and pitch, using the new 1,3 software that came with the firmware.
When I change the default values and press enter, there is ?????? Signs below in the window.
changing rc sensitivity goes ok, so something is off.

Anyone?
It doesn't do anything anyway if your using positional mode.
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 19, 2013, 11:58 AM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2005
260 Posts
And how is this so obvious, apparently ?

Initial roll and tilt in my book, and feel free to correct me, is an offset, to where you want your gimbal to be facing, default.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:01 PM
Denmark
Joined Apr 2005
260 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
As per the 1.3 update notes:

Seems to be no way to set an offset roll in positional mode, mine seems off a couple degrees and no means to level it.
Sorry, didn't see this.

Yes, mine is also off a couple of degrees. It's not really a problem, but im hoping they will release a 1.4, which lets us do what we want
Old Jul 19, 2013, 12:05 PM
Joined Jun 2012
2,810 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitelab View Post
Not sure how that is going to work to allow access to the 2 screws with the gimbal mounted.
Not sure myself yet, but with my current setup - a very early ebay gimbal that I have cut'n'pasted considerably - it's possible to pass a screwdriver between all the parts to get to the bolt fairly easily.

It takes holding the Phantom upside down and balancing of the bolt on the end of the screwdriver when putting in the one that's nearest the middle, but the end one is simple enough as nothing obscures it.

Does add a few grams and a few more mm than drilling holes in the Phantom, but it's swings and roundabouts. Anyway, we shall see.
Brandigan is offline Find More Posts by Brandigan
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:44 PM
Joined Apr 2013
87 Posts
I have got a bad feeling about this Tarot gimbal. I got the gimbal in the mail today, and installed it on my F550 (Naza v1). Prior connecting any signal wires to my Futaba R2008SB, I tested the gimbal with only the 12v power plugged in..

Something is serious wrong with this gimbal. The roll axes is smooth and seems ok, but the tilt axes stutters allot.
After strugling to set up tilt control with my Futaba t8j (wanted tilt via the VR knob), I finally gave this up and started to examine the Tarot....

On the roll motor (the motor on the back of the gimbal), there is an loosen grey cable! Strange as the roll axes seems ok

A real setup manual is absent from this vendor
Old Jul 19, 2013, 01:58 PM
SirEdward
Philippines, NCR, Pateros
Joined Apr 2004
651 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf65 View Post
I have got a bad feeling about this Tarot gimbal. I got the gimbal in the mail today, and installed it on my F550 (Naza v1). Prior connecting any signal wires to my Futaba R2008SB, I tested the gimbal with only the 12v power plugged in..

Something is serious wrong with this gimbal. The roll axes is smooth and seems ok, but the tilt axes stutters allot.
After strugling to set up tilt control with my Futaba t8j (wanted tilt via the VR knob), I finally gave this up and started to examine the Tarot....

On the roll motor (the motor on the back of the gimbal), there is an loosen grey cable! Strange as the roll axes seems ok

A real setup manual is absent from this vendor
did you try it with the gopro installed?
blimppilot@ph is offline Find More Posts by blimppilot@ph
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:04 PM
Joined Apr 2013
87 Posts
Yes, the gopro is installed on the gimbal. When I do the "in front of an mirror" test with the F550 in my hands, the roll is very smooth, dispite that grey loose wire in that motor(?).
When tilting the F550 front/back the gimbal stutters allot an does not move all the way eighter.

Edit: tested again and after another "roll test" the gimbal goes into lock mode. Something is defective on this gimbal...

Tarot customer support any better than DJI?
Last edited by Rolf65; Jul 19, 2013 at 02:44 PM.
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:23 PM
Brazil, AL, Maceió
Joined Mar 2012
504 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteDog View Post
Sorry, didn't see this.

Yes, mine is also off a couple of degrees. It's not really a problem, but im hoping they will release a 1.4, which lets us do what we want
And, if default mode is position, can't you use a receiver channel to control roll angle? assign it to a knob or a switch and correct the angle as desired with subtrim, eliminating the offset angle, maybe it is as simple as that, no? Unless there is no spare channel to control roll, as it seems to be the case of phantom users.
alsoares is offline Find More Posts by alsoares
Old Jul 19, 2013, 02:45 PM
Ireland
Joined Mar 2013
3,919 Posts
anyone know any UK seller with one in stock?
eirlink is offline Find More Posts by eirlink